• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Surface Laptop 3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DaPoets

So I recently got the Surface Laptop 3 in Matte Black. I have to say the typing experience on this is basically perfect. The 3:2 screen ratio is something that all laptops should be doing unless it's really meant for media consumption for 16:9. Using Word, Excel, web browsing, is all so much better on 3:2 and this screen is so crisp. It does have a very bad reflection if you are outside but at the right angle you can minimize that issue. I initially got the i7 10th gen 13.5 inch w/ 1 TB and after filling it up with everything I use for work I had way more space than I needed and I only ever really got to 7GB of ram used so I swapped it out for the 8GB i5 256 GB and saved over $1,100. Day to day I don't see any difference in performance, probably because the SSD is nice and fast so if I do hit the ram limit the file swap speed is so fast that you just can't tell.

It charges extremely quickly via USB-C or it's proprietary magnet charging cable but I only use the 45W USB-C charger that I use w/ my Note 10+, talk about convenience. The battery lasts 11+ hours and as I haven't drained it fully, I am getting all day use out of it with zero battery issues.

The Matte Black metal is sleek, sharp machined edges, and it's honestly a head turner. I give it 9/10 due to the reflections on the screen when outdoors.

Posted this picture different ways and no matter what it gives it upside down so whatever...

20191118_151107 upsidedown.jpg

Attachments

• 20191118_151107.jpg
    20191118_151107.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 60
Last edited:

HankB

I don't know what you're talking about. It looks fine to me.

Just kidding. The pictures are upside down.

I've seen pictures come out sideways but I don't recall seeing them upside down before. It's not an issue of how you posted but rather how the image was captured and then processed (if you did anything with it) before posting. There is information embedded in the picture that tells the display S/W which way is up. Some times there seems to be disagreement between camera and display S/W on how this is to be displayed. This often seems to be related to mixing Apple products with the rest of the world.

Did you view the picture on a PC first or post directly from a phone? If you have a google account, upload it to photos.google.com and rotate it there. Then download and post the result here. That should work. You can also (probably) rotate it using the viewer on Windows but since I use Linux, I can't describe which viewer or workflow would support that. IIRC the last time I tried to view an image on Windows I had to install something from the store to do that. I don't recall but there might be some rudimentary editing tools in the photo upload S/W on the site and that might include the capability to rotate 180°.

Even upside down it looks good. I prefer a taller screen and I'm glad to see that MS is bucking the trend to go to 16:9. I have some old 1600x1200 LCD monitors that I like just for this reason.

OP
DaPoets

DaPoets

I don't know what you're talking about. It looks fine to me.

Just kidding. The pictures are upside down.

I've seen pictures come out sideways but I don't recall seeing them upside down before. It's not an issue of how you posted but rather how the image was captured and then processed (if you did anything with it) before posting. There is information embedded in the picture that tells the display S/W which way is up. Some times there seems to be disagreement between camera and display S/W on how this is to be displayed. This often seems to be related to mixing Apple products with the rest of the world.

Did you view the picture on a PC first or post directly from a phone? If you have a google account, upload it to photos.google.com and rotate it there. Then download and post the result here. That should work. You can also (probably) rotate it using the viewer on Windows but since I use Linux, I can't describe which viewer or workflow would support that. IIRC the last time I tried to view an image on Windows I had to install something from the store to do that. I don't recall but there might be some rudimentary editing tools in the photo upload S/W on the site and that might include the capability to rotate 180°.

Even upside down it looks good. I prefer a taller screen and I'm glad to see that MS is bucking the trend to go to 16:9. I have some old 1600x1200 LCD monitors that I like just for this reason.

It's funny you mention all of those tricks because I did all of that trying to get that photo upright. I took it w/ my Note 10 Plus, it looked great. Downloaded it from Google Photos onto my laptop, it looked great in google and on my laptop. Uploaded it to here and upside down world no matter what else I did to the photo. I even uploaded it upside down and it just stayed upside down lol... In the end it wasn't a big enough deal for me to put anymore energy into it.