• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Surfin' the web old school style

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

King Warg²

woohoo i got really bored today, so i built myself a 386....that i'm posting this topic on! running windows 95B and chatting on AIM while making this post. Processor is getting pretty hot too!

System specs: 386DX-33, 8MB RAM, 1MB VIDEO, 340MB HDD, 32x CDROM.

Any obsolete computer fans in here? present company excluded.....

Now just one other thing i need to do... *attempts to install [email protected]* lmao!

ghettocomp

Master of teh Ghetto Mods
I have an old 33 Mhz 486 running windows 3.11. actually I have not fired it up for around a year or two. but it was running when I put it away. 8MB Ram, 420mb Hard Drive. what a trip trying to get it online without a modem
I dont think that would finish a single TT frame in a year

ThePCGuy

I used to be in this club. Since then I've donated most of the computers to people who wanted them and what not. I did just receive a Packard Bell with a Penium Overdrive 166 chip, but I had no use for it, so I cleaned it up and booted it up. Then set it outside (someone took it this evening). I also was given another older computer but haven't gotten that one out of my truck yet to test out. Might be a 486 or so. I think I'll get that right now actually.

- Jim

pscout

Senior Newbie Cannon-Fodder - R. I. P. good budd
I have an old 486-66 server waiting for me to turn into a case for my next external rad watercooling system.

I think it has nt4 on it ... maybe i should fire it up to see if it can fold before i donate its body parts to science.

But i would have to put a token ring pci into one of my rigs since it is an ibm microchannel box and i only have token ring adapters for it.

... a bit of nostalgia!

... hey is there an OS/2 folding client?? now that would be retro :)

pscout

Senior Newbie Cannon-Fodder - R. I. P. good budd
King Warg² said:
i wish i had some MCA NIC's...about a dozen of them.. i got a garage full of old IBM machines that use MCA, they would be prime beowulf nodes if i just had some 16-bit MCA NIC's

Not sure how many nics i have --- all mca's i have are token ring. I also have a drawer full of parts ... mem - lots of 8mb sticks ecc and some non ecc ...

haven't looked at them much in a long time but if you are serious i would be happy to inventory them and send anything u want.

Lots of scsi 1gb drives ... and some external enclosures ... cd roms, even an optical drive (128 mb floppy). also some mca scsi adapters ... i had a bunch of servers when last cust upgraded ... all the servers have is scsi ... except for the 2.8 floppies (which i still have too!).

I have a couple of 8 port MAU's for token ring too.
Have cables too and adapters for the skinnier token ring cables.
have 1 pci token ring nic so they can bridge to ethernet lan. Not sure if there is a winxp driver for it but i had it running on w2k.

Last edited:
OP
King Warg²

King Warg²

the things i'm really after are a few MCA NIC's and perhaps 30 pin SIMMS above 1mb -_- (yea i still on occasion fool around with the stuff) these IBM machines have no floppy or CDROM, just a little 210mb SCSI drive. I got like at least 30 of them from the board of education. I'm not sure i could use token ring though, maybe 10base2, but not token ring.

AlabamaCajun

:eek: :eek: :eek: Microchannel :eek: :eek: :eek: Away you mangey beast of IBM. J/K, I had a bad experiance with MC back in 92 when an irate employee stole the diskette for setup of a strange backup drive. I added one lousy stick of ram (whopping 4 meg) to the little MCA critter and it activated the reconfigure "Please insert master diskette" (not the exact phrase). We had no Idea how she had configured the little beaster so I pulled the ram and rebooted "Please insert custom setup diskette" arrrrrg! :temper: goodbye backup drive. I was able to use the factory setup disk to setup with the 4meg stick in the system so I could compile without useing ovl files. Later one of the guys figured out how to config the drive on his regular regular PC gaining access once again. I do have to say for a 386 it was fairly swift little box.

Last edited:

dwschoon

I think our first pc was a 486sx, and we thought we were so cool when we upgraded it to a 486dx and upped the ram to a whopping 4mb. Those were the days.