• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

suspension for hacking :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Emericana

well. 3days of no school for me. my friend and i "hacked" our school network and loaded quake 2 on every computer. within no time nearly everysingle person in our grade was playing. that was 3 weeks ago. today they caught me and it was less than pleasent.

the thing is, i didnt even hack in the traditionaly way. all i did was unplug the network cable when it said "loading personal settings" in the windows 2000 dialoge box and it gave us near admin priviliages (ie all we needed to load software)....

oh well live and learn i guess

metra

That sucks big time. 3 days?!?! Thats a little harsh. I'd probably just get 2 hour detention on saturday morning. (Which is sometimes a good thing since then i wouldnt save up hw till 9pm on sunday). Howd they know it was you? Someone ratted?

Tipycol

metra said:
That sucks big time. 3 days?!?! Thats a little harsh. I'd probably just get 2 hour detention on saturday morning. (Which is sometimes a good thing since then i wouldnt save up hw till 9pm on sunday). Howd they know it was you? Someone ratted?

Maybe it was a day for each week? Oh well, at least he did get do to some fun in school, for me it's just a boring place.

OP
Emericana

Emericana

ya my friend and i are both getting the punishment...

some friend. they caught him playing. assumed that he was the one who was crashing the networks (which i think is a completly unrelated problem that they are too incompetent to fix) and brought him in. of course he ratted me out in a second.

luckily he gets the same punishement as me

pauldriver

Emericana said:
the thing is, i didnt even hack in the traditionaly way. all i did was unplug the network cable when it said "loading personal settings" in the windows 2000 dialoge box and it gave us near admin priviliages (ie all we needed to load software)....

oh well live and learn i guess

Easier to blame you, then to take the network admin to task for not configuring his machines correctly.

Paul.

Disputant

hmmm, our computer screens were green when I was in school and the coolest game out was Leisure Suit Larry. We had to find less technological ways to get into trouble.

Mr B

Senior Admin Emeritus
Disputant said:
hmmm, our computer screens were green when I was in school and the coolest game out was Leisure Suit Larry. We had to find less technological ways to get into trouble.

When I was in school, PONG was new.... :eek:

(and yes, I had to walk to school, butt naked, six miles, thru five feet of snow, uphill both ways....) :p

Oni

Oni-ni-Kanab;, Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
Kids thesedays, complaining that they only get 5GB of disk space. Why, in my day, we were lucky if we got one file, and that was /dev/null!

Disputant

Oni said:
Kids thesedays, complaining that they only get 5GB of disk space. Why, in my day, we were lucky if we got one file, and that was /dev/null!

Yeah, I remember when you had to first load the program each time before you could use it. I think I still have one of those 5 inch floppy drives burried in the closet somewhere.

pauldriver

Mr B said:

When I was in school, PONG was new.... :eek:

(and yes, I had to walk to school, butt naked, six miles, thru five feet of snow, uphill both ways....) :p

When I was in skool, we programed with CARDS.

Yep, fed them into to a DEC PDP-8 thru a card reader

batch processing, Man that was to way to compute!

Daemonfly

7th grade. ONE computer - Wolfenstein 3d !! and Oregon Trail!!!

Never saw another computer in class again, even during my FIRST stint at college.

I do think I would have gotten into trouble with computer though, if we actually HAD any ;)

Disputant

Can O' Beans said:
7th grade. ONE computer - Wolfenstein 3d !! and Oregon Trail!!!

Never saw another computer in class again, even during my FIRST stint at college.

I do think I would have gotten into trouble with computer though, if we actually HAD any ;)

Damn, Oregon Trail was a junior high school class project for me. Forgot that blast from the past, thx.

CrystalMethod

Senior Band Wagon Jumper
pauldriver said:

When I was in skool, we programed with CARDS.

Yep, fed them into to a DEC PDP-8 thru a card reader

batch processing, Man that was to way to compute!

Ahh yes, those were the days...
-"Where you going with that hole punch?"
-"Computer class of course! What else are these things used for?"

...I still fail to see how getting 3 days off of school is punishment.

Gravity Man

You got to play Quake II in school, and you got 3 days off? Lucky *******! :p

Since when is playing games in school bad? When I was in HS, we had a teacher who would let us play CS in the lab if we finished early. One day, we stayed after and played until the janitor kicked us out. :cool: