• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Swapped my 40" for a 24" and....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nebulous

Dreadnought Class Senior
It sux! OMG it's like using a tablet :cry: Been using my 40" HDTV as my main monitor (1920x1080) for quite a while and got so used to it, that when I got my new 24" Acer on my desk, it's like using a table it's that small.

Story is my ex finally moved out ( thank god!) and she took her belongings with her which included her 42" TV. My "office" is in the livingroom and I was using my own 40" as my monitor. Once she left I was stuck. I don't mind switching over from PC to TV to watch my shows/movies on my 40", but when my 7 year old is here with me it's a pain. He wants to watch his crap at the same time I'm on the pc, so I had to get a new pc screen and then put the 40" on the stand for normal TV operations.

Now I can't stand it! This dam screen is so dang small. I tried gaming on it last night and it was quite awkward. Not a pleasant experience at all. :(

Rez on the Acer 24" is native 1920x1080 and the image quality is outstanding, but it's soo dam small I hate it.

I was looking at the 27" and it's no different over the 24". I'm gonna have to get a larger one like 32" at least. Of course gotta be 1080.

I'm sure I can sell this 24" to recoup funds (i got it in a trade) and shoot for an HDTV of about "32-38" at least to get my big image back.

I remember my 22" ws was massive until someone (blackstar) convinced me to use my 40" as it was just collecting dust in my bedroom. Ever since I got a taste of the larger screen I'm screwed! :eek:

Dam you Brian! :rain: lol

It might just take a while to get use to it. Seems like most things take around a week or two. How far are you from the monitor?

LOL Nebulous, how our perceptions change when we get used to something. A 24" monitor is too small, too funny. I remember when I bought my Viewsonic CRT 20" for my office and then couldn't stand my 17" monitors. A solution is let you kid watch Tv on the Acer and steal the 40" back. It's not like Nickelodeon or the Disney channel is going to be any worse on a 24" monitor, it's still painful to watch either way. I'm just glad my kid doesn't watch Barney anymore I was seriously considering suicide while watching it!

Thx Ninja, but I might not be able to wait that long! lol ;)

dudley I'm about 3ft away from the screen. Same distance when I was using my "40.

lol Mandrake, I hear ya. My kid doesn't watch those anymore, but he does enjoy his movies quite a bit. He's a Thomas the tank engine freak :rofl:

I had bought a 32" tv that after a year went kaputz. Luckily I added the extended warranty for another year. Called them up 2 weeks ago and I'm awaiting my refund which hasn't arrived. I'm going to use those funds along with some pennies I've been saving to buy another TV. Imma see about a 32" which is about the smallest i'm willing to go for a monitor. If not I'll buy a tv larger than a 40" and reuse the 1st 40" as my monitor again.

Jeebus I hate this thing :mad: If it wasn't because I know I can get some change for it, i would've tossed it out the dam window.

He's a Thomas the tank engine freak
I went through that phase also, I wanted to see Sir Topham Hatt get run over by Diesel, now that would have been entertaining!

you could just buy more monitors...

Nahh, not into the dual monitor thing. Having 2 monitors side by side is somewhat cool, but then having that border separating the 2 monitors is horrid.

I went through that phase also, I wanted to see Sir Topham Hatt get run over by Diesel, now that would have been entertaining!

You know I said that to my kid one day, and he got so upset with me! Now everytime I mention it he gives me a dirty look and tells me to stop it. :rofl:

3 feet is pretty far. I can see how 24" would seem small from that distance. (Let's all avoid the obvious jokes here ;))

Three feet away from a 24" or 40". Nah, you'll never be able to go back to anything much smaller again.

The "screen-door" effect (we assume) isn't an issue?

3 feet is pretty far. I can see how 24" would seem small from that distance. (Let's all avoid the obvious jokes here ;))

Lmao, too funny bro! ;)

Three feet away from a 24" or 40". Nah, you'll never be able to go back to anything much smaller again.

The "screen-door" effect (we assume) isn't an issue?

Screen door effect?

Fffffffffffffffffffff(orget) that... that would make me blind and cross-eyed.

Lmao! I'm blind as a bat already. I wear glasses to be infront of the screen, and I wear different glasses to read.

Attachments

• DSC00059.JPG
    DSC00059.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 82
Some people notice it some people never seen it. Apparently homo-sapiens perceive the world and visual information differently.

On a HD signal on a 40" screen the screen door effect is the impression that the pixel on screen are too coarse. You notice it if you sit too close. It may look like a grid on the screen.

Oddly some people never see them others perceive them very readily.

A poor analog is the "flick" on CRT monitors. Some people never saw it at a 60hz refresh rate. Some people could see it at 72hz refresh rate. Almost no one could perceive it at 75hz refresh rate. I do remember stories of people saying they need higher refresh rates.

The old CRTs where amazing. Colours that you could not beat. Too bad they weighed 75 pounds and used a ridiculous amount of energy!

Lmao! I'm blind as a bat already. I wear glasses to be infront of the screen, and I wear different glasses to read.

I do that too. 1.75 to watch a lcd tv 6 feet away. 2.75 to work on a small computer monitor 2 feet away. Strange thing is I strongly suspect a 27" at 1440P would most likely look great!

Ahhh gotcha. I remember when i was too close to the 40" I saw it grainy-like very similar to the image being seen thru a screen just like you mentioned.

Once I started to get farther away, the image got clearer and crispier. That's when I found the sweet spot ( about 3- 3 1/2 ft away) from my 40.

Now it's like I'm right ontop of this 24" :-/

LOL, same here dudley!

Ahhh gotcha. I remember when i was too close to the 40" I saw it grainy-like very similar to the image being seen thru a screen just like you mentioned.

Once I started to get farther away, the image got clearer and crispier. That's when I found the sweet spot ( about 3- 3 1/2 ft away) from my 40.

Now it's like I'm right ontop of this 24" :-/

LOL, same here dudley!

Viola! Eureka! You did exactly what is recommended. I've seen people with 55" HDTV watching them from six feet away! Needless to say it isn't a very enjoyable experience.

Waiting for the 4K HDTV to come down to earth price wise. How long will it take for 4K images to be transmitted? From what I've read none of the networks, cable companies, satellite companies are planning on going to anything higher than 1080I anytime soon. So there will be little viewing material.:rain:

I think a Bluray can handle 4K... so it would only be from that medium I imagine. Not sure say netflix can stream that much data so it would have to be physical media I imagine...?

Back