• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Swapping Mobo's... gotta question:

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maxvla

i am swapping from a BD7II (DDR based) to a TH7II (RDRAM based)...

will my 1.6a overclock the same?

right now top speed is at 166mhz fsb 2664mhz with 1.68v (1.75 bios setting)

i plan on swapping out the bios on the TH for a mr natural bios that allows voltage up to 1.85. i'll probly set it at 1.8 which being an abit board should give me a real voltage of about 1.72 or so which is still pretty safe. that will give me another .04v of stability.. so maybe it will even overclock better than it is now.

i've never just swapped boards and kept the same cpu before. i always upgraded both. should it be the same with the same settings?

What kind of mem did you get? You memory is the only thing that I can see that might hold you back, or DRCGs (memory clocks)

Set your voltage at 1.7 until you know how much the mobo is off. You don't want to cause SNDS.

Outside of that, it should be the same.

Let me know if your mobo doesn't have everything, I might be able to help you out.

steve

Edit; me following your posts /edit

Last edited:
skou said:
What kind of mem did you get? You memory is the only thing that I can see that might hold you back, or DRCGs (memory clocks)

i'm going to get some Samsung PC800 40ns non-ecc 2x256mb
Set your voltage at 1.7 until you know how much the mobo is off. You don't want to cause SNDS.
yeah. i'll do what i did with my current board.. just keep testing the limits of each voltage setting
Let me know if your mobo doesn't have everything, I might be able to help you out.
Thanks. Hopefully i'll get everything i need (like a P4 bracket) C-rimms are cheap, but i haven't found a place for a p4 bracket yet.
Edit; me following your posts /edit
:D

hey max,

well if you get a th7II with the capasitors on the left side of the cpu with blue stripes then yes it might undervolt.
yet if they are all silver...then your mobo shouldn't undervolt.

also, why the 40b bios????
they have cold boot problems.

go for the 7e or 7f and try the mr.n's defogger trick.

if you paint just the first two holes, then your voltage would default to 1.7v yet you can always lower it. (or crank it up)

btw...you should be ok with the new mobo and run at the same FSB. (me keeps his fingers crossed for you)

mica

I have extra p-4 brackets, but they come installed on the mobo. I might also have an I/O shield- they're TH711 unique.

steve:santa:

micamica1217 said:
hey max,

well if you get a th7II with the capasitors on the left side of the cpu with blue stripes then yes it might undervolt.
yet if they are all silver...then your mobo shouldn't undervolt.

also, why the 40b bios????
they have cold boot problems.

go for the 7e or 7f and try the mr.n's defogger trick.

if you paint just the first two holes, then your voltage would default to 1.7v yet you can always lower it. (or crank it up)

btw...you should be ok with the new mobo and run at the same FSB. (me keeps his fingers crossed for you)

mica
ah. i had just glanced around in the bios area. didn't realize they had cold boot problems. i REALLY don't want to modify anything to get to 1.7v so hopefully its silver.

skou said:
I have extra p-4 brackets, but they come installed on the mobo. I might also have an I/O shield- they're TH711 unique.

steve:santa:
i usually just toss the i/o shield. it just gets in the way.

since its a refurb it may not have the p4 bracket installed. when i got my bd7II NEW it was in a plastic bag and i had to snap it in place. it wasn't installed at the factory.

Cold boot problems are no problem, if you fold 24/7, you never boot up.

A cold boot problem just means that it hangs on booting- hit reset and it will re-boot correctly, that's all I do.

steve

skou said:
Cold boot problems are no problem, if you fold 24/7, you never boot up.

A cold boot problem just means that it hangs on booting- hit reset and it will re-boot correctly, that's all I do.

steve
40b it is then :D

lemme tell ya. newegg never ceases to amaze me...

i ordered that board like 2am this morning. i get an email about 7pm with a tracking number!! i didn't pay for any fast shipping or anything.

gotta love'em. too bad that speed will go to waste since i'm waiting a couple weeks to get the ram.

maxvla,

your not going to belive this....

a local dealer offered a great deal on a p4t533 & two sticks of 4200 rimms to me.
he's sending some extra stock back and it will cost him less to just sell to me.

so I put my mobo and memory up for sale.

so I get a few hits and then after quite some time.....I sell my cpu, mobo, and memory late today.

well I made a quick call to the local store and yeah you guest it, he sent back everything (fogetting we spoke).
:mad:

hi, newegg....looks like I'm now going DDR with the p4pe.
(and a 1.8a)

mica

ROFL!!! sorry dude.

so anyways... whats up with rdram. the memory forum is so dead.

may as well just ask in here.

i've been told the samsung pc800 non-ecc 40ns is better than all other rdram. 1066 isn't supposed to o/c hardly at all and the 4200 rimms are flaky.

can you answer some ram q's... i know very little about rdram except what the little birdy in my ear named AZN tells me. :D

Maxvla said:
ROFL!!! sorry dude.

so anyways... whats up with rdram. the memory forum is so dead.

may as well just ask in here.

i've been told the samsung pc800 non-ecc 40ns is better than all other rdram. 1066 isn't supposed to o/c hardly at all and the 4200 rimms are flaky.

can you answer some ram q's... i know very little about rdram except what the little birdy in my ear named AZN tells me. :D

the ecc does just as good....yet why would you get them.
pc1066 should do 150 or so at 4x...again, yet why would you clock down to 150fsb.
also, pc1066 sammys should be OK, yet what happens if you get a mobo that hates pc1066 like mine hated kingston pc1066.

the pc800 samsung should be great......can't see why it wont hit pc1066 speeds or better.

btw, the mobo and sticks I was going to get, was going to be tested before I left the store. and it was the 2nd rev of the mobo...so it should've been OK at high fsb.

mica

micamica1217 said:

the ecc does just as good....yet why would you get them.
pc1066 should do 150 or so at 4x...again, yet why would you clock down to 150fsb.
also, pc1066 sammys should be OK, yet what happens if you get a mobo that hates pc1066 like mine hated kingston pc1066.

the pc800 samsung should be great......can't see why it wont hit pc1066 speeds or better.

btw, the mobo and sticks I was going to get, was going to be tested before I left the store. and it was the 2nd rev of the mobo...so it should've been OK at high fsb.

mica
so the most you'd expect out of pc1066 in 4x would be 155-160?

AZN was running his pc800 at 177mhz in 3x which is 1062mhz

would be nice to have rdram that went 4x at like 170fsb. thats about where my cpu tops off.

whats this about boards not liking 1066?? is this something that happens frequently?

back to the bios, if you're not prone to shutting down and starting up often, in-other-words a true 24/7 machine, don't hesitate to go with mr.n's 40b. mica's right about the defogger mod being easy, but with 40b you don't need it. if you turn your rig off often, the 40b could drive you nuts.

i have been running 40b 4 months and adore it! i just wish we could track down mr.n and encourage him to do one last bios for the th7II to combine the voltage tweaks of the 40b and the stability of the 7e.... the world would be a kinder, more gentle place.

i just wish we could track down mr.n and encourage him to do one last bios for the th7II to combine the voltage tweaks of the 40b and the stability of the 7e.... the world would be a kinder, more gentle place.

he said he wont do it.:(

mica

Rasputin'sLiver said:
i have been running 40b 4 months and adore it! i just wish we could track down mr.n and encourage him to do one last bios for the th7II to combine the voltage tweaks of the 40b and the stability of the 7e.... the world would be a kinder, more gentle place.
that would be perfect :D

micamica1217 said:

sorry, I don't remember.

but I did ask him.

mica
you have really got to change that avatar. it freaks me out :eek:

Back