• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Swiftech 462A "The Boss" is in

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hoot

Inactive Moderator
Well, I never dreamed I would have a PC where the HSF costs almost twice as much as the CPU, but I
took the dive and my 462A arrived today.

The workmanship is excellent. No need to lapp this one.

Installation went very smooth. Yes, I did have to lift the motherboard, but I didn't have to disconnect the cables. The fit is perfect on my KT-7 Raid. I removed it after installing it to see the contact pattern left in the A.S. on the core and the dispersion was uniform. It was better than I ever achieved with the FOP-32.

The fan, as advertised, is loud. I was spoiled with my YSTech that came with the FOP. I have never heard the FOP-38, but I now can imagine the annoyance it
must create. You can grow accustomed to the noise, but it's a bit much. I'll grab a 3 terminal regulator and throw together a speed control tomorrow.

Running my Duron 600 at 1000, I was able to lower the voltage to 1.775, from the 1.85 I needed with the FOP-32. This is perfectly in concert with the fact that the cooler you run transistors or mosfets, the less voltage required to accomplish the same speed. Basic electronics. Anyway, the Duron runs at 30C idle and 34C under Prime 95 torture, with the ambient air inside the case at 22C. That's only a 12 degree delta! With the FOP-32, I was getting 37C idle and 42C Prime95.

The Fan is so powerful, that it washes the whole motherboard with the strong airflow coming out of the base. We'll see what taming that fan speed does for temps and noise level in the next few days.

Tomorrow, I will run the complete voltage range vs. speed vs. delta matrix and post a followup. Right now, it looks like I'm getting around .2 C/W. No gigantic cage blower needed. :)

Hoot

I have to agree the swiftech is the best hsf you can buy the installation is kind of a ***** but the temps are great my bird is running at 37C full load and with the fan turned all the way down 41C not to shabby, and its quiet

the fan pushes so much air that I was able eliminate all of my case fans by directly venting the cpu heat through a vent hole in the side of my case system temp runs at around 19-20 C

I've been thinking that you could reduce the noise even more by using a shroud and a bigger fan I have a 120mm fan that pushes more air and makes less noise

I agree, the fan is so powerful that the blast of air off the HS stirs the entire cabinet pretty well. I'm confused though. Mine came with the fan mounted blowing down on the HS. How would a hole allow it to exhaust the cabinet? Did you flip your fan to suck off the HS?

Hoot

Yo (Mar 01, 2001 03:59 p.m.):
Just an observation - but this thing is almost as expensive as a watercooling set-up.

True, but you don't have to worry about it springing a leak and frying your computer, or forgetting to turn it on. All the same, too rich for my blood, although I'll admit I was tempted.

Yo (Mar 01, 2001 03:59 p.m.):
Just an observation - but this thing is almost as expensive as a watercooling set-up.

Yo

Yeah but it can't be as much fun as a H2O rig. Hard to believe but this could be an advantage for some folks. ;D

Hoot (Feb 28, 2001 09:43 p.m.):
I agree, the fan is so powerful that the blast of air off the HS stirs the entire cabinet pretty well. I'm confused though. Mine came with the fan mounted blowing down on the HS. How would a hole allow it to exhaust the cabinet? Did you flip your fan to suck off the HS?

Hoot

yes works very well kinda like the hedgehog

Back