• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Swiftech Pulls H220 From Market

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hokiealumnus

Water Cooled Moderator
Yikes...I hope this doesn't lead to any litigation against Swiftech. Hopefully they can come to some sort of quick conclusion. Looks like Asetek is a little pained Swiftech brought out a unit that kicks the crap out of all of theirs. :rolleyes:

Long Beach, CA July 19th, 2013 11:45 PST- Rouchon Industries Inc., d/b/a/ Swiftech® today announced the withdrawal from US sales of the H220 CPU cooling kit.

On June 7 2013, Rouchon Industries Inc., d/b/a/ Swiftech® received a letter from Asetek’ s lawyers claiming that the H220 CPU cooler infringes on their US patents 8,240,362 (the ’362 patent) and 8,245,764 (the ‘764 patent) and to cease selling, offering for sale and importing the H220 CPU cooler in the United States. Pending final disposition of this matter, Swiftech® immediately placed a hold on shipments of the H220 CPU cooling kits into the USA.

On June 27, 2013 Swiftech’s counsel responded to Asetek’ s attorney by a letter stating that preliminarily, Swiftech® does not believe that the H220 product infringes any valid claim of the ‘362 and ‘764 patents. Nonetheless, in an effort to avoid any unnecessary litigation Swiftech® also asked whether Asetek would be willing to offer a nonexclusive license for the asserted patents.

On July 12, 2013 Swiftech® received a response from Asetek’ s law firm stating that the company does not offer licenses.

Swiftech® continues to firmly assert its position with regards to the alleged infringement as stated in its letter dated June 27, 2013. Nevertheless, in order to avoid litigation the company’s management has now made the business decision to withdraw the H220 CPU cooler from the US market.
Given these circumstances, Swiftech® wants to hereby reassure its US customers that: 1/ it will continue to provide full technical and warranty support for the H220 CPU cooling kits that have been sold in the US, and 2/ the product will continue to be sold in other countries.

Swiftech® sincerely apologizes to its US customers for this extraordinary situation, the very first in its long history. For the past 15 years, Swiftech® has been at the forefront of technological innovation in this industry, and it will continue to do so. In the words of Gabriel Rouchon, the company’s Chairman and CTA: “I want our customers to know and expect with absolute confidence that Swiftech’s resourcefulness will once again be brilliantly demonstrated in the immediate future”.

Do you know which parts exactly they say are infringing on the patents?

Coming from an engineering background, this is going to be a serious mess.

There are links to all the letters in the quote.

Missed the letter that had specific claims. Looking at it now.

Edit: Going through the individual claims, these patents could be applied to almost any AIO water cooling unit. Pretty ridiculous.

Makes sense that Asetek would come down on Swiftech. They were already threatening Cooler Master for having a similar design as well.

Honestly, without Asetek the AIO market would be non-existant so saying that this is a ridiculous filing is a bit naive. This isn't like Apple and "round corner"

Last edited:
Looking at the drawings in the patents and the disassembled H220 from our review, I don't see how they can claim that's the same unit. Note the differing impingement designs and that the Asetek unit's pump impeller is on the side vs. Swiftech's right in the middle.

That said, I'm not exactly well versed on patent law.

This could be the reason that most AIO units are rebranded Aseteks. They're not even willing to grant Swiftech a license, even though Swiftech pulled the product and asked for one despite alleging they were not infringing. Sounds to me like Asetek is only interested in being the SOLE manufacturer of AIO units at any cost.

I hope Swiftech fights them on this, and if they don't I hope they come out with a revised product that doesn't infringe those patents and blows Asetek out of the water.

As for me, I'll never buy a rebranded Asetek AIO after reading this...

Whew. Just got my H220 last week. Glad I didn't wait.

Hope this gets resolved soon. (In Swiftech's favor, of course.)

They couldn't ever get the price down to H220 level with a pump like this, but put some tubing on the H20-x20 Elite and they're right back in the game. ;)

Update:

Looks like Asetek has patented integrated pump liquid coolers.

Looks like manufacturing one with the pump built in automatically becomes a patent violation.

Update:

Looks like manufacturing one with the pump built in automatically becomes a patent violation.

:facepalm:

This is despicable and a attempt by Aseteks to stop the threat of the H220. Looks like they pretty much run the rebranding department with most AIOs out there. Cant' believe this is happening. Wondering if the H320 will be affected. This rediculous patent monopolizes the AIO industry. A bunch of BS if you ask me. :mad:

Last edited:
It seems the patent refers to any AIO cooling solution with a pump-block attached to a radiator. Like they invented the wheel or something.

I say if Asetek want to be the only ones selling AIO, they should at least produce a decent one. :p

I'm no patent expert, but that's what I took from looking through the patent filings as well. It's interesting that the patent was granted, as I'm pretty sure that Asetek wasn't the first product to integrate a pump onto a CPU waterblock. I'm not well versed enough in the history of water cooling to say for sure though.

I do know this: patent fights are exceptionally expensive for companies to fight. Apple-Samsung is a bit of outlier in terms of costs involved, but it's never an easy or inexpensive fight. Swiftech might have looked at it, done the math, and found that it's less costly to just roll over and pull the product from the market than it would be to fight and win.

Pretty sure Swiftech had a pump/block before Asetek and it has been on the market for a long time now. If the patent is applicable, I think it would necessarily have to apply to the whole system. Even so, the differences in internals are pretty distinct. I suppose the question is whether that is distinct enough. :shrug:

On the flip side, if it IS for an all-in-one unit, Swiftech can just simply stop connecting them together and don't fill it with fluid. Bam, not all-in-one and still cheaper than the H20-x20 elite. :)

It seems the patent refers to any AIO cooling solution with a pump-block attached to a radiator. Like they invented the wheel or something.

I say if Asetek want to be the only ones selling AIO, they should at least produce a decent one. :p

Only way to fight a superior product is to QQ over patents. Shame on Asetek...

The best think Asetek could have done was to release a better AIO. Then we're all happy.

How terrible, Asetek... When someone innovates in the tech industry lawsuits start flying.

Sigh.

Defend your market share with a better product, not lawsuits -_-

Back