• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Switch from 2.4c to 3.0c- Thoughts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chaos_Being

I've been thinking about my next project...I like to think waaaay ahead (ie- I can't afford this now- but with some accumulated cash and possible future price drops, I'll be able to eventually :p)

I'd like to try out watercooling sometime, but if I'm going to give that a shot I would want it to be with a new cpu as I'm pretty darn sure my 2.4 is maxed out.

I was thinking about the 3.0c- figuring I could get it to around 250fsb for a nice 3.7ghz. I know my current mobo and ram (which I would continue to use) can get up to 275fsb with my current processor, so I shouldn't be worried about a limitation there.

My only concern is that I am pretty sure I would still have to run the 5:4 ratio with my pc3700 ram to get to 250fsb. Naturally I'd prefer to run 1:1 since I would have a lower fsb speed, but I don't think my current ram would hack it and I'd rather not have to buy new ram. So, if I get stuck with the 5:4 ratio, I would theoretically (if I can get 250fsb) have more mhz, but I would take a rather large hit in my bus speed. How would this equate in performance, comparing my current 3.3ghz/275fsb to 3.7ghz/250fsb?

(of course, if/whenever I do this I could get lucky and go above 3.7ghz- especially with watercooling- but I'm thinking that 250fsb is a "fairly realistic" expectation.)

OP
Chaos_Being

Chaos_Being

Yeah, make that "I'm pretty sure my ram won't do 250fsb 1:1" to "I know it won't"

I gave it a try for the heck of it (didn't expect it to work, but was curious anyways,) yeah my PC didn't like that ;) Beeeeep!

So this would definitely be a matter of comparing 3.3ghz/275fsb/5:4 to 3.7ghz/250fsb/5:4.

Sjaak

The 3.7ghz/250fsb/5:4. option will win, definatly.

You could even try, at 5:4 to go for 260+ FSB on that 3.0C, provided your cooling lasts it out.

OP
Chaos_Being

Chaos_Being

Thanks, that's definitely what I wanted to hear!

I would surely try to go for more fsb past 250, I'd just rather set my expectations lower than max, so if I get lucky I can be pleasantly surprised. :)

Sjaak

Let us know what kind of P4 you get..stepping / caps. See siggie for mine, it can do a bit more but needs a bump in vcore, and its already way too hot (summer)

batboy

Senior Moment
Actually, you won't need watercooling for a 3.0C Northwood. Mine does 3.8 gig on air with good cooling. Seems like a lot of those 3.0C are hitting or getting close to 250 FSB nowadays. Mine does 3.6 gig on default vcore.

There is no way that RAM with BH-5 chips will hit 250 FSB using the 1:1 ratio unless you use high vdimm. Since the IC7 is restricted to a 2.8v max, then you will have to use the 5:4 ratio (unless you volt mod). But, you won't lose much performance using the 5:4 ratio with tight timings vs. 1:1 with relaxed timings.

Jojo1971

looking at your sig, you have a 2.4c @ 3.3..i think it's a waste of money to upgrade to a 3.0c @ 3.6-3.75...you wont be seeing a big difference in performance..youll be better off getting a new video card or other stuff..' just my humble opinion..

OP
Chaos_Being

Chaos_Being

You're absolutely right Batboy, if I actually go through with watercooling it would mostly just be to do it. I'm very interested in trying it out. And there's always the possibility of getting a 4ghz chip- which I'm assuming would be better watercooled vs. aircooled. Its the chance game.

Jojo1971, you have a valid point. If I get a mild overclock, I wouldn't be much better off. If I get lucky, I'd definitley have an improvement on my hands. Either way, I would get to play with new toys :) A new video card is also on my future upgrade list for sure. Either way, this won't be happening for a while anyways, unless I win the lottery~