• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Switch to share DSL?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mike K

I'm getting DSL this week(FINALLY!) so I went out and bought a Linksys switch and 2 patch cables. Will this work for sharing the DSL modem? I need to share it between 2 computers. Thanks

Twyst

Depends on how you set it up. Since it's just a switch you'll have to run it like this:

DSL Modem -> 1st Computer NIC #1
1st Computer NIC #2 -> Switch

and then the other computers can plug into the switch normally and should have access to the DSL connection. You'll also have to setup internet connection sharing on the 1st computer and configure the rest of your computers to get an IP address automatically.

Now if you'd gotten a router then you could do it like this.

DSL Modem -> Router WAN port
and then plug all of your computers into the RJ45 ports on the router and set all the computers to get an IP address automatically from the router and everything should work fine.

Hope that helps.

OP
Mike K

Mike K

Currently I have it setup like the pic I attached at the bottom. On the switch there are 5 regular ports for 5 computers and there is an RJ-45 port that is labeled uplink. Do I plug the dsl modem into that? And how do I configure each computer to get an IP address? And how do I configure internet sharing? Sorry, I have never networked anything besides 2 computers with a crossover cable. Thanks

OP
Mike K

Mike K

Forgot the pic. C1 and C2 are the computers that are going to share the dsl modem. The gray are the cables. The blue box is the switch, the black dots on it are additional ports and the bright blue dot is the uplink port.

OP
Mike K

Mike K

I just found out that the uplink port is used for connecting other switches or hubs. Is that correct? Or can I use it for the dsl modem?

DDR-PIII

Disabled
yes you can... wel in mine ive got a netgear en104tp.... 4 port... push the uplink button and plug the modem into the rightmost port and then you can get access to the net from any comptuer... but not all @ the same time :( ... so ive got my modem plugged into my PC then another NIC going ut to the HUB "which means ive got the PC with the modem plugged into it so its now a gateway"...and ive got ICS enabled so which ever PCs ive got plugged into the HUb have the net.

WildArmSX

actually i found out that depending on the DSL modem that you get it could have a built in router. I know becasue my GNET DSL modem has one built in. if yours does have it conigure it and plug it into the switch and all machines connected to the switch will get an ip form the modem and have internet.