• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

switch to switch/print server problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ridenow

Sneaky Moderator
I usually have a clue, but this one has got me.

I have DSL. The modem is connected to the WAN port of a Netgear RO318 router/8 port switch.
This switch is setup to be the DHCP server. From there I have Cat5e run to wall jacks throughout the house. I then bought a Dlink 704P router/4 port switch with print server. I want to connect it to a wall jack in the living room, connect a computer to it, then connect a network printer so I do not have to have that computer turned on to print.

Should be simple, connect a crossover cable from the wall jack to any LAN port on the Dlink 704P and a patch cable to the computer. Turn of DHCP on the Dlink 704P and set a static IP for it.
Does not work! The computer will not get an IP and I can not ping the Dlink. I do not know why.

I tried a straight through patch cable instead of the crossover. I tried connecting both to the WAN port. I set the Dlink to be a DHCP client, no IP. If I set the Dlink to be a DHCP server the computer will get an IP and I can talk to the Dlink, but nothing else on my network.
Ok, I asked a friend, he suggested I connect it to my hub. I have a 16 port 10MB IBM hub, purchased from {PMS}fishy. The hub is connected with a patch cable (not crossover) to a wall jack that is connected to the Netgear RO318 in the basement. It has 3 computers connected to it with no problems, they get IPs from the Netgear. I connected a LAN port on the Dlink to the Hub with a patch cable, then connected a computer to another LAN port on the Dlink. The Dlink has DHCP off and a static IP (192.168.0.200) Reboot and I have IP. Can ping and talk to both the computer and the switch from any computer on my network. No problems at all.

What gives? Anything I forgot?

Note the links to the manuals, if needed.

Last edited:

RED Hot Machine

Inactive Moderator
I take that it is working fine now, with the hub between the two routers.

One quick question why do you have two routers ?.

Where you connecting the RO318 with the patch lead to the WAN port or one of the other ports on the router ? You need to connect using LAN to LAN ports with straight cable.

If you were going LAN to LAN with straight and it was not working then I have no idea.

OP
Ridenow

Ridenow

Sneaky Moderator
I bought the 2nd router because it has the print server, that is my goal, a network printer. The router with print server was much cheaper than just the print server. The hub is upstairs in my room, were I want the printer is downstairs, so it is not working the way I want it to. I do not plan to move a 16port rack mount hub for one PC and a printer.

I tried LAN to LAN with straight cable and it did not work.

The way I understood it was that since neither switch has an "uplink" port I would need a crossover cable, but that also does not work.

DDR-PIII

Disabled
this is to confusing for me haha when ever ive got a problem bad like this it much easyer to be @ the problem location that doing it like this... so whats ur address and ill be right over ;) hehe just kidding :D

OP
Ridenow

Ridenow

Sneaky Moderator
I have been sick and have not had a chance to do much of anything.
Anybody have any ideas?
Only other thing I can think of is the crossover cable I have is bad, I will try to get another that I know is good.