• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

switching from usb to ethernet

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zatrix

this is probably one of the hardest tasks there is.

i have usb cable modem now and ive been using it by usb for a few years
i want to go to ethernet now to gain a 25%-50% increase in speed. i have my ehternet drivers INSTALLED. i unpluged the usb out of the back. i connected the etherenet cord to the back. and i lost internet connection. i restarted and boom still nothing. i then added the usb back and BOOM 2 seconds later i got internet. why cant i switch to ethernet?

ashenfang

The Jet Man!
Zatrix said:
this is probably one of the hardest tasks there is.

i have usb cable modem now and ive been using it by usb for a few years
i want to go to ethernet now to gain a 25%-50% increase in speed. i have my ehternet drivers INSTALLED. i unpluged the usb out of the back. i connected the etherenet cord to the back. and i lost internet connection. i restarted and boom still nothing. i then added the usb back and BOOM 2 seconds later i got internet. why cant i switch to ethernet?

First of all, you won't gain any internet speed. You internet does not use the full bandwidth of a USB port, however, I do applaud you for going to ethernet, a much more stable connection.

You are probably not able to connect because your cable company has registered your modem by mac address of the USB port, so when you change to ethernet, it throws off their UBR.

When you swtich to ethernet, unplug power from modem, count to 5, plug modem back in to power. Reboot computer. Should work, when computer is back up check your ip address. If you still have problems, contact your cable company.

germanjulian

no you dont.

funny when I switched from my usb modem to a ethernet modem my ping decreased by about 10ms on average. so yeah internet is faster (not download uploads though).

and is your ethernet plug working on your mobo or is it not working on your modem. try chekcing by plugging in something else on your computes ethernet port, anything which has power.. just get it to blink!!! green and yellow are my friends here at work :)

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
If you have a Motorola Surfboard modem, I found this from thier tech support when switching from USB to Ethernet.

Unplug the co-ax cable. Plug the modem into the eithernet port. Open your internet browser. Type in 192.168.100.13. Now plug the co-ax back in. Things should now work.

Jason

Not a bad idea at all. USB is flaky at the best of times, and was never really designed with networking in mind. You will see higher stability and reduced ping latencies- less CPU overhead. If you are on cable internet, you will need to register the new MAC addy of the NIC with your high speed account. Most cable companies have an automated registration page. For example, Mediacom's is 12.223.4.9, Insight is 12.223.2.9, etc. You can call your cable company for support on how to register the new MAC address. Or, as long as you aren't planning on using the USB connection again, you could always try cloning the USB MAC address on your PC. I think it's a simple registry hack to do that.

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
AHHHhhhhhhh......

Sorry for the bad info above. The address of the Motorola SB5100 is:

Kendan

Senior Punk
you might also try to just hook up the ethernet cable then unplug the cable modem wait 20 seconds plug it back in. that should get you going;) if it doesn't then reboot the computer and it should be working then.