• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Syltherm immersive coolant

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jimmytp

I have been looking into immersion cooloing for a while now. Well, actually I started just before I finished setting up my water cooling project. Would any one be interested in splitting a jug of Syltherm XLT ? It's a silicon based coolant from Dow that would work real well for a refrigerated, immersion rig. It's $350 for 5 gallons. I won't have the cash for a while, but I need to see if I can get the rest of the setup going first anyway. I want to have everything ready to go before I think about buying this stuff, it's too pricey not to. Any one who might be interested? I will be looking into buying in the summer, June or July probably, but I want to give everybody some time to consider it. If enough people are interested, it is 1/3 the cost to buy a 55 gal. drum. We would need at least 12 people(20-25 would be ideal) at $100+ a piece(enough for two setups each or plenty of replacement fluid), so I'm not holding my breath, but there are plenty of crazy people out there....

Last edited:
OP
jimmytp

jimmytp

I am picking up the refrigeration unit tomorrow. Anyone consider it yet? Alternatively, does anyone have any cheaper suggestions? So far, I am looking at alcohol or Syltherm, will isopropyl or methanol work? I posted on an engineering web site in the fluid/thermodynamics area asking for advice and what I got was what not to use. Mineral oil is out, acetone, transformer oil, and anti freeze are all out. No one knew if alcohol would accelerate deterioration of the components though. Any thoughts?