• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

syspart w/ windows 7? need a second opinon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

setotitan

ok i've of this little netbook that has no optical drives and windows 7 which is of course... on a dvd. now last time i needed to install XP on it i used syspart. here is the how to i followed:
Code:
1) Install the hard drive as a slave in a working desktop system. (If laptop HD will require an adapter)

2) Right click "My Computer" click "Manage", goto "DisK Managment" and format the drive, NTSF Quick Format will do.

3) Insert your Windows XP CD in the drive, then exit the auto launch screen.

4) Go to "My Computer" and look at the drive letters of the CD-rom containing the XP disk, and also the drive letter of the hard drive you are installing to.

5) Assuming the hard drive is "Z" and the XP cd is in "X:", go to the DOS prompt and type (or cut and paste):

X:\I386\winnt32.exe /syspart:Z: /tempdrive:Z: /makelocalsource /noreboot

6) Setup will begin and ask you if you want to upgrade or full install. It will then ask you for a few more things including the CD key.

7) When it finishes doing what it needs to your HD it will close automatically and return you to the desktop.

it essentially stopped the installation right before it takes into account my system so that you can put the HD back into the laptop and finish the install and it would play nice with everything. i don't know a lot about the syspart command. and obviously seeing "winnt32" in the string i'm guess at minimum i've got to adjust my file path. i guess my question is two fold:

A) will the syspart command work the same as in the above example to install windows 7?

B) if so what do i need to change in "X:\I386\winnt32.exe /syspart:Z: /tempdrive:Z: /makelocalsource /noreboot" to make that happen?

any help would be greatly appreciated!

SeanBest

I would suggest using a flash drive as well.

Never tried this before, but could you just mount the iso and install? I know I normally boot from the DVD to install, but can say I've never honestly tried installing from within another OS so I have NO IDEA if it works when doing a clean install?

OP
setotitan

setotitan

I would suggest using a flash drive as well.

Never tried this before, but could you just mount the iso and install? I know I normally boot from the DVD to install, but can say I've never honestly tried installing from within another OS so I have NO IDEA if it works when doing a clean install?

i like the idea about mounting the iso and installing, but would it work? i mean at some point doesn't it need to reboot to finish the install. i've never seen windows be able to install itself while in another version of windows. i mean if that would work AWESOME i'd love to hear peoples thoughts on that. however the issue with trying to install via a usb is this, here's a post i made last year when i tried installing XP from a thumb drive...

OK i've been working on it but really hit a brick wall. when i pull up the BIOS on my Acer laptop it doesn't have an option to boot from USB. however if i plug in my USB drive then go to boot options, under the "Hard Drives" i see my USB drive. so i configured my USB like a boot disk, i go into BIOS and have my USB drive boot first and it works as far as it boots to the C prompt. the issue is C drive is now my thumb drive, so when i go to look for the XP setup files i copied over to the laptop hard drive i can't find them. all it see's is whatever's on my USB drive. trying to take the logical step i copied my XP install files to my USB drive. only issue then is when i go to run "SETUP" it says "this program cannot be run in DOS mode" WTF!!

that's what led me to using syspart in the first place. however if i missed something let me know.

OP
setotitan

setotitan

i got this idea on another forum, but i don't know if he's right and if so how to do exactly what he's saying..

Wow I would have put the install disk in a working PC networked and shared the drive. and used the USB Drive to boot to network. then clean install walla.