• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

system crashes- not sure why

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dudeoflife25

Registered
I am running a intel 800eb @936mhz-
156fsb 1.80cv
asus cusl2-c
quantum fireball 30g hdd
gforce2 ti 32mb ddr
320ram
phillips psc602 sound card
300W psu
My problem is when i try to up my fsb my system will crash at odd times. I can run 3dmark2001 without a prob but then browse online only to have my system reboot then I get the blue screen of death. I'm thinking its either my hdd or psu. But Id like some feedback before i upgrade.

Jeff Bolton

how hot are you running? temperature can play a large role in how well a computer performs: the hotter a cpu gets, the more in danger it is (if you didn't already know that). i'd say anything over 50°C load MAX is way too hot and you need to scratch the overclock for now and get some better cooling before going at it again. however, you mention running 3dmark without a problem. is this right after booting the system up? also, when you have problems with freezups while surfing, can this happen at any time or does it just happen when the computer has been running for a while. it could also be bad sectors on your hard disk. go to the maxtor/quantum website and get their utility for checking the hard disk out, that should help you figure out if that is a problem. if so, you might be able to fix it with their software. you may have to reinstall your OS but at least you won't have to buy new hardware.

so anyways, welcome to the forums and i hope this doesn't confuse you too much. so post back with your answers to my questions and hopefully we'll get this problem figured out pretty quick so you can get back to overclocking! :)

jeff

OP
D

dudeoflife25

Registered
pcu temps run around45-47c under load and I usually run 3dmark after the system has been on for quite a while. I've also had the system crash while installing programs.

RainMaQer

3D God
What kind of ram do you have? This sounds like a memory problem to me. Your memory might not like those high fsbs. Have you tried DocMemory? You'll need a blank floppy in your drive... it will create a bootable disk that when the comp is restarted will run the program... allowing you to test the memory alone. I'd suggest testing ONE AT A TIME. Leave only one chip in the comp at a time. Keep the FSB where you're at... 156 FSB... and test your memory. Do you have MBM5? What are your voltages? Have you upped your VIO voltage? Thats the 3.3V... perhaps upping it to 3.6 will help.

OP
D

dudeoflife25

Registered
I tested my RAM everything passed
I' m 1-256mb pc133 simpletech and I'm not sure about my 64mb module it came with my old gateway.
Where can I download mbm5 and how do I up my voltage I couldnt find a setting for it in bios. thanx for your help.

Garfield

Could corruption of the hdd do this? I don't think it could be PCI ports because they would just be unstable, right? They couldn't crash the system. I don't know, just a suggestion.

stool

You may have reached the limit you can overclock without extreme measures. At 156FSB, almost anything could be holding you back. If you have good cooling, try upping the CPU Vcore a little more.

OP
D

dudeoflife25

Registered
does anyone have any sugestions for hdd upgrades I was thinking either wd or maxtor.

OP
D

dudeoflife25

Registered
I uped the voltage all the way to 1.9 with no luck. How far can I go without causing damage. I'd like to brreak the 1 gig mark but I dont want to replace parts at random without knowing what I change is going to help. My mb vid card psu and sound card are all new upgrades

Jeff Bolton

remember that the higher you pump your voltages, the more and more heat is produced...and since your temps are already about 45-47 @ load, i don't recommend doing that...at those temps damage becomes possible to your cpu and components. i agree with everyone else that your ram is probably holding you back. that 64mb module out of the old gateway could be the major culprit, it probably isn't even pc133. try your setup without that 64mb module and see how things go. but even with the pc133, 157fsb is quite a bit. just try to figure out what is best for you so you don't fry anything, cause that just wouldn't be cool.

jeff