• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

system going to standby :\

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zing0r

hello

id appreciate any help on this problem

my pc tends to 'die' at random times, sometimes itll be up for a week sometimes only a few minutes

basically what happens is that is that my monitor goes to standby, fans keep on going, any mp3's im playing stop, etc. also, the reboot button dosent work, i have to turn it off, then back on. then about 80% of the time it dosent post, the monitor dosent come out of standby but all the fans/cd drives work.

my pc:

tbird 1ghz (never overclocked) temp is about 30C
msi k7t pro2a mobo
voodoo3 2000 agp card
256mb ram
8gig quantum hdd (master ide1)
sony burner (slave ide1)
20gig wd hdd (master ide2)

ive tried replacing the video card, the ram and the psu, but i still get the problem. ive also cleared the cmos and flashed the bios. im thinking that its most probably a mobo problem :\ so is there anything else i can try before i purchase a new one?

Actually, it sounds to me like your monitor doesn't support power managemant properly.
Just click start>settings>control panel>power management.
Turn off the standby by selecting never in the standby pulldown box.
I always set mine to 'always on', and 'never' in all 3 pull down boxes. If I want it off, I'll shut it off.

Hope this helps ya out.

arg i hoped it would be something that simple :0 i had it set to 'turn monitor off after 20mins' and after putting it to 'never' it lasted for a while but then just shat itself again D:!

i also went into bios to check the power settings there and i disabled Isomething power (cant remember exactly :) which in turn disabled ACPI standby. the gay thing is that win2k kept on rebooting the pc while it loaded so it had to be changed back :|

Did you try checking your monitor maker's website for an updated driver?
Another thing to try is the desktop settings...right click desktop>settings>advanced...try checking/unchecking the energy star button.

Just another couple of thoughts. Hope it works out for ya.

Back