• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

system reboots ...please help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

catman25

Registered
i ran my system with sisandra soft with high priority for 30 passes and it didnt reboot .. but when i play a game or starting up my file share program it fully reboots with out any warnings..this started to happen after i put my xp +1700 cpu in and maybe when i unlocked it ... does unlocking it worn gcause system to reboot with out warning ??and im not overclocking at the moment ..
heres my specs..
msi k7t turbo
+1700 xp @1.45g
pc133 /396mb
couple drives
40 gigger maxtor
some fans and some neon
my power supply is powertech 350 watt and the numbers seem to be ok aby sy=uggestions??should i take nail polish remover to the cpu???should i put my thunderbird in instead and see if it cpu related?there seems to be not much problems with this bored with a xp cpu so i dont want to mess with something that wont fix the problem ..please help thanks -cat-

Jon

Just Another Retired Moderator
You say your voltages "look" OK, but what are they? That 350W, if generic, is probably not supplying near enough power for what you're running on it. I have an Antec 350W that can barely handle that much.

Need to know your 3.3, 5 and 12V lines.

Only other thing I can think of it being is heat, but that is unlikely if you're not experiencing any crashes as well.

repo man11

That could be a symptom of an iffy unlock job. Yes, I would try the T-bird, if it cures it, you know it is the CPU, and probably the unlock job. Also, how is your +5 volt line holding?

Last edited:
OP
C

catman25

Registered
trust me heat is not a issue .38c idle 43 c full case is 25c
as for the power supply lines i use pc alert that came with my motherboard and this is what they give for output
voltage vcore=1.75v
+5v=4.93v
3.3v=3.56v
+12=12.20v. any other questions you have ??theres also a problem with my stus led at start up.. they are all read ..you have to press restart to get it outa cold boot..this is cause by a deformity in the via northbridge and athlon c cpu's...there isnt a reboot issue just a cold boot issue ..

OP
C

catman25

Registered
just did 150 passes of sisandra burn in....cpu temp 46c ..
case temp 26
+5 changed to 4.90v

repo man11

I don't know, but his doesn't look bad to me. Mine runs at 4.79, which isn't great, but it doesn't seem to be giving me problems.

RnPgrosz

Mine runs around the same I just wasn't sure if it was too low or not. What kind of PSU are you using?

repo man11

I've a generic 400 watt I bought off of ebay, before I started coming here. After I started coming here, I decided to do a search with the model # and found a site where I could buy the same one for $13.00. I paid $40.00 on ebay, including shipping! Live and learn! www.sofistic.com , don't know that I'd actually buy anything from them.

OP
C

catman25

Registered
im using a powertech 350 watt that came with the tower..what else could caUSE REBOOT???i dont really want to put my thunderbird back in unless i really have too .cracked cores are bad..lol...could a bad unlock job ause reboots???thanks for all your help

RnPgrosz

catman25 said:
im using a powertech 350 watt that came with the tower..what else could caUSE REBOOT???i dont really want to put my thunderbird back in unless i really have too .cracked cores are bad..lol...could a bad unlock job ause reboots???thanks for all your help

Thats a possibility. Take the hsf and take a look at your cpu if you hvae conductive junk all over the place clean it up. I've heard it can cause problems if you get conductive grease on any of the letters or numbers on the cpu.

OP
C

catman25

Registered
wiped it clean and reinstalled .. and still reboot..noticing it more through games..looking for different drivers...

Fiz

Did you change anything else on the mobo, I had a similar prob on my old VA503+, turned out to be an IRQ problem. When I tried to play some of my games the thing would suddenly restart. I moved my cards around and it was fine. Also, have you tried just running the comp with ram, a VC, and the hdd? Might help to narrow it down some.

Fiz

OP
C

catman25

Registered
ill give that a whirl ...ill take out my cd burner and cd-rom and ill take out sound card and ethernet and we'll see what happens..wierd thing though i can run 200+ passes on sisandra burn in with high priority and high stress levels(so you can't even move your mouse ) and no restarts but play a game and wap!!!!it started while using edonkey but latly ive been playing games ...any body know a fierce video test???

OP
C

catman25

Registered
think i got this thing licked but i still need assistance.took my video card out and replaced it with my wifes(same thing)(geforce2 ti)and i ran sisandra burn in,prime 95,3dmark 2001 se and did this all at the same time while all neon was on and all fans were on .. ran vid to max and cpu to max and no reboots..well i took a secong look at my card and noticed by where the fan pin sets there a chip # c426 that is sideways.obviosly the pin pushed it loose.can i just resoldier it or too risky???would something like this omit a reboot failure???its a tan color chip bout as small as a ants penis..lol..talked to inno3d waiting for a responce..bought it on ebay from them themselves..

Fiz

I had a similar prob on a Radeon. I took it out and had knocked off a teenie resistor('bout the same size as you mentioned :)). I wound up using some super glue and a defogger repair kit to fix it. It sounds like if you either fix or replace the VC you should be good to go.

Fiz

OP
C

catman25

Registered
wanna thanks body for thier help .. im trying to fix it this morning hopefully i will work ill keep ya posted . thanks agaian-cat-