• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System Shock 3: gameplay demo & kickstarter campaign

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
That's not ss3 but them updating the first one. All new engine, better everything, not sure if it still is but o recall it being on kick starter.

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
thats pretty cool, i just hope they do a update to SS2 as well. that way current generation of players can see what we had back in the day for games. the series is awesome, it would be a shame to not update ss2 to make its complete.

sobe

Unscathed Member
I'm awaiting both, the reboot is looking good for sure though. System Shock, Doom, Quake, what else will we be seeing? Maybe a non-crappy Duke Nukem? Perhaps a new Commander Keen, Hexen, or Jazz Jackrabbit?

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
Heretic and hexen would be cool, ck would be neat as well but i never did get to much into those.

OP
M

magellan

thats pretty cool, i just hope they do a update to SS2 as well. that way current generation of players can see what we had back in the day for games. the series is awesome, it would be a shame to not update ss2 to make its complete.

I didn't think SS2 was as good as the original. It was one of those situations where a technically better game just didn't capture the spirit of the original.

I remember at one point in the original SS I was trying my best to push thru to save some people who were holding out in the hanger of Citadel Station. That kinda thing never happened in SS2. I remember one of the difficulty levels in the original System Shock had a time factor to it. You had to complete the game in a set time to basically save millions of people on earth from being incinerated and it made sense within the context of the plot of the game. Warren Spector made System Shock and Deus Ex and it really showed in System Shock
(and he still remembers some of the design aspects of the original System Shock after all these years).

- - - Updated - - -

Only the decennials bothered to reply to this thread. :)

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
so just to update, after going back and reading that article from PCG. it is actually the system shock remake they are talking about, if you look at the title of the video they linked too. Even the kickstarter page is for the remake, since its up in the air who actually owns the rights to SS world. as you recall Bioshock team was going to do the next system shock but they didnt own the rights so they put a their spin on that "style of game" and going underwater.

OP
M

magellan

The System Shock reboot team already more than met their kickstarter funding of $900,000.

synthetic_fenix

Risen From the Ashes
I am definitely looking forward to this remake, and really hope that it receives enough popularity to drive a remake of SS2, I personally liked 2 better than the first game. SS2 was one of the first games to legitimately scare me, with the first F.E.A.R. being the second.

OP
M

magellan

I am definitely looking forward to this remake, and really hope that it receives enough popularity to drive a remake of SS2, I personally liked 2 better than the first game. SS2 was one of the first games to legitimately scare me, with the first F.E.A.R. being the second.

Did you like the body of the many levels? It's strange how the structure of the ship could be compromised by the body of the many yet it was still airtight.

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
maybe it never breached the outer hull? i dont recall to much about the levels or them going into to much about how much was organic. its been so long, i would like to play it agian but i cant seem to get it to work.