• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System to run AutoCad suggestions please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

esctabf1

I have been helped here before and appreciate the minds here, so let me pose a situation as I'm far behind in the field now days. A friend who owns a Survey company wants some custom built systems for his office. In the past he has just bought referb Dells or something out of the box, but wants better now that the company has grown and demand is greater. He has a land survey company and they run AutoCad that apparently is quite taxing on there systems. He would also like to have something that will have a sustained up-gradability if needed in the future.

My understanding is AutoCad needs a lot of video capability and they run dual monitors on all there systems so that ability is a must and I think it would be best to go with something other than on-board video for the up grade ability. Currently they have license's for Win 7 and want to stay with it. They need a pile of memory as some times they are running a number of tasks, needing video, 4 or 5 web pages, AutoCad and sound all at the same time spread across two monitors with maybe a dvd in the drive and I'm sure music playing.

So, could anyone give some suggestions for MB, CPU, Ram and video? I am thinking WD Blue 2TB drives, not to keen on the solid state drives and nothing fancy in the case department but want to go heavy on Ram for sure.

Enough rambling for now, will keep checking and respond to any added info that may be needed. Thank you.

Lochekey

Senior Pink Member
Few questions up front.

What version of ACAD are they using?

Are they doing 3d work in acad or is everything 2d line drawings?

If doing 3d work are they regularly producing renders of their drawings.

Are the working files stored on a network file server or will the drawings be stored locally on this computer and accessed from the system hard drive?

OP
E

esctabf1

What version of ACAD are they using? = AutoCad 2000

Are they doing 3d work in acad or is everything 2d line drawings? = All 2D line work

If doing 3d work are they regularly producing renders of their drawings. N/A

Are the working files stored on a network file server or will the drawings be stored locally on this computer and accessed from the system hard drive? = It's kind of a screwed up system, they have it all on another computer, not a server, and they are accessing the files to be worked on from a shared, networked folder.

trents

If you are only talking about 2D CAD I would think an i5 would suffice and 8 gb of RAM.

Tír na nÓg

I'd go middle ground: i7 (7700K), and 16 GB RAM, 8GB start to be long in the tooth nowadays...

Edit: MoBo, Asrock z270 Extreme4. Even if no OC is planned for now, still good to keep the option for a few extra bucks. 2x8GB G.Skill [email protected]/Cl14 or Cl15 would be my choice for the DDR4.

trents

And if you take T ir na nOg's advice, make sure you get a "Z" chipset board because "H" and "B" chipset boards are not for overclocking.

Robert17

Premium Member
This sounds like a work terminal situation. Smaller is better unless the program itself is seated locally. Then Moar RAM for sure with the obvious MB & CPU to handle the math (obvious to me anyway). I've deployed a couple of these and there is a pretty big gap in the user systems as to whether or not the program resides locally or is on a shared server.

ThunderSpirit

Registered
I have a 2gb 960gtx and it does very well with autocad and inventor. What may have once required over $1000 graphics card in 2004 now can be accomplished with less than $300. The only time I have ever run into an issue was with design spark mechanical we are the limitations of a 2 GB graphics card became apparent with an object that had over 200,000 facets. When I would rotate the part it was not snappy and instantaneous but the image resolved under one second . So maybe look at a 4 GB version of the 960 GTX . Of course you could always go for a newer card but I can verify that the older 960 does just fine, and honestly after reading about modern comparisons I don't even understand why they make workstation graphics cards anymore it seems that the video game cards out perform them consistently .

OP
E

esctabf1

I'm still keeping up with the thread so please continue with your thoughts and recommendations please and if Lochekey is still around I'd like to hear more from you after my answers. Thanks to all who have responded, it's appreciated.

OP
E

esctabf1

This sounds like a work terminal situation. Smaller is better unless the program itself is seated locally. Then Moar RAM for sure with the obvious MB & CPU to handle the math (obvious to me anyway). I've deployed a couple of these and there is a pretty big gap in the user systems as to whether or not the program resides locally or is on a shared server.

Each machine has the AC installed in it, but for some reason they keep the working files mapped to the Boss's system in a shared folder. I know jack sh*t about networking anymore and have no idea why they do it this way. I'm a hardware/trouble shooting guy at best (A+) from way back when, but have kind of been out of the mix for some time.

Lochekey

Senior Pink Member
Sorry Kind of late back to the ball game on this one.

Im not really sure how well Acad2000 will benefit from ahrdwarte acceleration especially with the newer cards as the drivers are optimized for the newer version of acad.

With that being said I would set up with something like this.

cpu: I7-6700
mobo: Asus H170-PRO/CSM
Ram: 2x8gb kit of 2133 ddr4 (probably something from the low end g skill set like the NS series)
GPU: I would go with a quadro K1200 or M2000 ( either are probably more than you need but if you upgrade acad version you may benefit from them)
psu: EVGA or Seasonic 550w with gold rating

I would advocate an SSD if they are accessing a lot of files locally off of their computers, if everything is coming down from a file share though there will not be as much of a benefit. WD Black would be my choice for a HDD if you want to go that route.

hope this was helpful.

Culbrelai

Business computers? Overclockable processors? What a waste? Get a i7 7700 (no K) and an H chipset mobo. (many of them)