• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

T-900 build Question on 6850K Overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

joedreamliner78

Registered
Hi everyone,
Finished my T-900 Thermaltake build and have a stable OC at 4.4 thing is I am a bit worried about the core v at 1.45. From what I understand the 6850 can tolerate a high voltage. Running Prime 95 I am hitting temps of 76-96c under full load and 32-45c under normal operation. Seems a bit high under water no? I have attached screenshots of the bios please have a look I know there are many of you with a high level of experience and see if something should be changed. Thanks!

MSI_SnapShot.jpg MSI_SnapShot_00.jpg MSI_SnapShot_01.jpg MSI_SnapShot_02.jpg

The temperature will be fine not using Prime95. The CPU will throttle at 100c so don't worry.

Can you achieve a lower Vcore at 4.4GHz?

The temperature will be fine not using Prime95. The CPU will throttle at 100c so don't worry.

Can you achieve a lower Vcore at 4.4GHz?

Unfortunately anything lower than 1.45 I get the infamous blue screen.

Appreciate your help! How do the other settings look to you? I did make changes and as for the ram haven't even touched it.

The other settings I see in Bios is fine on Auto. Just try X.M.P enable to overclock the memory, it will set the memory speed, voltage and timings, sub-timings, Vccio, Vccsa.

I was also surprised when I got 6800K. Looking at the various results in the web ~4.5GHz requires ~1.4V in above average chips.
RAM should run without issues at XMP and then all voltages will be adjusted automatically. When you set them manually you can be also surprised as 3000+ clock requires much higher SA voltage than on previous chips.

My chip is above average and still requires 1.42v for 4.54ghz. They seem to be fine with this as a 24/7 voltage from what I can tell even if it exceeds what it took for similar haswell-e chips at the same clocks.

3 out of 4 5820K which I had could make 4.7GHz 1.35-1.37V. My current 6800K requires ~1.38-1.40V for 4.5GHz and I use it 24/7 at 4.2GHz ~1.220V. I thought it's bad but I saw worse results on hwbot in quick tests so I'm not complaining.
Harder is to overclock cache and memory while BW-E supposed to have better memory controller. When X99M Killer back from RMA then I will try max memory frequency. Right now I have x99 in the case where I can't install any taller memory because of radiator placement. The only memory for higher clocks than 3200 which I have now is TridentZ or Vengeance LED.

Here is BW-E OC guide from ASUS. Some settings can be different but most are the same so maybe something here will help http://edgeup.asus.com/2016/06/17/broadwell-e-overclocking-guide/

Last edited:
3 out of 4 5820K which I had could make 4.7GHz 1.35-1.37V. My current 6800K requires ~1.38-1.40V for 4.5GHz and I use it 24/7 at 4.2GHz ~1.220V. I thought it's bad but I saw worse results on hwbot in quick tests so I'm not complaining.
Harder is to overclock cache and memory while BW-E supposed to have better memory controller. When X99M Killer back from RMA then I will try max memory frequency. Right now I have x99 in the case where I can't install any taller memory because of radiator placement. The only memory for higher clocks than 3200 which I have now is TridentZ or Vengeance LED.

Here is BW-E OC guide from ASUS. Some settings can be different but most are the same so maybe something here will help http://edgeup.asus.com/2016/06/17/broadwell-e-overclocking-guide/

Yea my 5820K took a bit more for 4.7 (1.45v), but it was a weird scaling chip. 4.54 only took 1.32v on it, chip was a hot head would be a really good cold clocker from the looks. Ram also clocked pretty well on it.

proxy-php.png

I haven't really tried the 6850K on memory yet I am going to order another 3200MHZ 16GB kit to match my good kit and relagate the 2400mhz kit elsewhere, but this is where I am right now. Oddly enough even at the higher voltage this chip runs 10-20c cooler than my 5820K did.

proxy-php429.png

You literally have to heep voltage into it to get further.

464x-cpuz.png

Last edited:
I'm wondering about max safe voltages. There is no info about it in Intel docs. Usually there is a table with voltages while for Broadwell-E there are only min/max values for VCCIO and some other voltages which are not important when you OC on air/water.

Thanks for all the comments guys. I am seeing that it is true this chips are just hungry for my V-core. Avg temp now in games is around 55c. Very little load.

- - - Updated - - -

The other settings I see in Bios is fine on Auto. Just try X.M.P enable to overclock the memory, it will set the memory speed, voltage and timings, sub-timings, Vccio, Vccsa.

I just wanted to say thank you for this. It did increase my ram speed to 3200 with XMP enabled. So far everything is still stable!

Back