• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

T-Bird 1.4 Overclocking Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

opticle

Registered
OK i have this bad boy overclocked to 1.6GHz but im not sure how much further i can push it. I do have water cooling so heat should not be a problem.

Settings 11.5 x139

Would i be better off raising the multiplyer to 12 and then increasing the FSB or should i just keep going in the FSB and leave the multiplyer at 11.5

I dont have the core voltage maxed out yet, but according to MBM 5 core voltage is at 1.87v can i still go higher ??

Right now my cpu temp hovers around 104 Degrees F under a full load.

I got a screen pic below

http://opticle.clanpages.com/cpu.gif

NeoMoses

here's how I usually do it. I try to get as fast as I can with the FSB set at 133 and just upping the multiplier. eventually you'll hit the limit. I then up my FSB to the max it can go (148 on my system) and lower the multiplier until the speed is about what I maxed out with when changing the multiplier. it seems to work for me.

Listing your hardware can help us give you hints, and as always, the beginners guides are invaluable. Read them and take them to heart.

by the way, welcome to the forums!:)

OP
O

opticle

Registered
hey thanx, forgot to list my hardware, well here it is.

:)

Soyo Dragon Plus
Athlon T-Bird 1.4 @1.6 (139 x11.5)
256 mb Micron pc2100
Radeon VIVO 64DDR
Sound Blaster Live Mp3+
Cheetah X15 ST39251LC HDD
Windows XP Pro

Silver

Senior Citizen (aka old fart)
Welcome to the Forums. The t-bird will take some voltage if your cooling can handle it. I have run mine at 2.35v (considered a little extreme by most) and usually run it at 2.3v. Cooling the water and thus the t-bird is the key. I use a bong cooler and with this setup breaking 1.7 is pretty much assured. I have gotten it in at 1.77 for some testing however at that voltage/speed, the t-bird is overtaking my cooling and ultimately crashes. Was thinking about extreme cooling on it however with the future looking bright on lower wattages for processors am holding back.

Had to come back as I really gave you no answer to your question. I have and frequently do run testing at 12x however it seems to be happiest on the fsb. Present setup is 11.5 x 150 on a shuttle ak31. Voltage is 2.3. At this there does not seem to be any real issues and the higher fsb gives my vid card a few hundred more points.

OP
O

opticle

Registered
Is the ram effected by the increased FSB speed ? Is it bad to have it too high on PC2100 ? Well ill try increasing it by going up on the FSB some more and see what happens ill jsut take it slow. If you say you got your voltage up that high with no problems i should have nothing to worry about then. Ill give it a try and see what happens i guess the wors thing that could happen is it will become unstable.

Soyo Dragon Plus
256 mb Micron pc2100
Radeon VIVO 64DDR
Sound Blaster Live Mp3+
Windows XP Pro

Silver

Do remember that I am using water to cool the processor. Take it easy and keep a close eye on the temps. 45 to 48c would be about it for me. If you move up slow on the fsb hopefully there will be no issues that are not easily resolved by backing the fsb up a tick or two. If you push it too hard then you may get the somewhat dubious honor of reloading windows. Won't find out how high you can go till you try though.

RnPgrosz

Depends how good you ram is. Is it cas2 and what brand? Decent brand cas2 shouldn't hold back your system too much.

AMD'er

I'm not quite understanding something here. I have a 1.4 Bird on a Gigabyte 7DX Mobo. Ever since I had this system I haven't overclocked it but would like to. I want to start with the simple and most easiest steps. I see you guys are talking about the multipliers and Vcores. My main question is how are you changing these settings. I change my FSB to 135/34 at 1430 and this is where it stops stable. What can I do to get more? I need your help

Silver

Voltage and cooling. The t-birds are kind of partial to voltage and you therefore are kind of partial to cooling.

OP
O

opticle

Registered
well im not sure about your motherboard, but to chanve the multilier you need to unlock you processor using the pencil trick. Then you can increase your multiplier. As far as changing my voltage goes i have a setting in the BIOS that lets me do that. Good cooling is necessary too, i have a water cooling system.

Correct me guys if im wrong but it should be possible to overclock a t bird 1.4 by about 100 MHz with a good quality CPU fan with no problems. I know i overclocked my t bird 1.0 to 1.2 with just a regular fan it did not have a stability issue.

Soyo Dragon Plus
256 mb Micron pc2100
Radeon VIVO 64DDR
Sound Blaster Live Mp3+
Windows XP Pro

jstutman

1.4 by about 100 MHz with a good quality CPU fan with no problems

quality cpu fan>? wouldnt it also depend on case also? look here. okay stock fan in a small case with no fans. it would raise temps like crazy.

or stock fan with 5 80mm 50cfm fans easy to oc w/o better hsf.

i have a t2 on my proc with this set up at 1577 stable
46c but was at 52 in my old case. dont worry im not abusing my proc. i have a ax-7 coming. should drop even more.

the air flow inside the case MAKES a big difference.

10 80mm fnas on case. w stock fan still cooles effective. but it would be too LOUD :) :)
just my .02

silent bob

Team 32 Folding Ghetto Hanging PC Senior
I would suggest taking the sides OFF , this will get rid of alot of heat that normally gets trapped in your box ,and this is a nice way to see what is in your computer .
Micron PC2100 - is this Crucial Memory ,Corsair,Mushkin?because even though it is Micron this does not always mean that it is GOOD overclocking ,the brands I listed are known to be great for OC but you can check that out in Memory .
welcome to the forums

steve