• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

T1 T2 T3+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ZedBias

What are these connections above? What sort of speeds would expect to get from ecah one and what is the price of each one??

pik4chu

Senior Yellow Forum Rat
T3 is 28 T1's (I think)(T2 isnt anything that I know of other than a movie :p )

T1 is 1.5mb/sec up/down starts in the USA at about 600 bucks a month if your lucky, a few grand if your not..

If you live in Europe your lucky... you can get T1 equiv for about 50 EU and up :)

T3 is generaly unavaliable. though you can get services close to that or above for various prices (usually above 10 grand in USA)

(prices are per month btw ;) )

However, most DSL now adays run at 1500Down/128 or 256Up
for 50 or so a month (starting)

difference is the upstream bandwidth

CrashOveride

my friend has a T1 for ~1K a month, he sells service to a lot of people in his neighborhood via line of site sattelite i think... there is on braodband in his neighborhood- he gets fast speeds:D

pik4chu

Senior Yellow Forum Rat
CrashOveride said:
my friend has a T1 for ~1K a month, he sells service to a lot of people in his neighborhood via line of site sattelite i think... there is on braodband in his neighborhood- he gets fast speeds:D

If I could afford it Id do the same thing... got a source for T1 for 550 a month :D .....got T1 at office... and what seems to be several T1's at this training center (where I am right now)

PsYcO CyBrArIaN

I (almost )get T1 raw data transfer rates with my Motorola Cable modem and Mediacom service for 40 a month- 1.9Mbs DL/ my upload is for shiet though....just tweak those reg. settings baby!

pik4chu

Senior Yellow Forum Rat
PsYcO CyBrArIaN said:
I (almost )get T1 raw data transfer rates with my Motorola Cable modem and Mediacom service for 40 a month- 1.9Mbs DL/ my upload is for shiet though....just tweak those reg. settings baby!

I have 1.5mb/128k DSL ...though its more like 1.2mb/15k DSL :)
for 49 a month

*edit* I would need some serious tweaks to fix this lol

penquissciguy

We have an OC3 fiber optic link between the school where I work and the local university that provides connectivity. VERY fast, when the college students are not hogging all the bandwidth. We have a real-time conference room that works over the Internet, so we need the bandwidth.

What do we pay for the privilege? $2600 a month.

Ken

OP
ZedBias

ZedBias

Thanx for the info guys, I have often heard stuff about lease lines and things like that? Someone did kinda explain, but I never really understood it, what does lease line mean? And what connection does skip have to run overclockers.com??

penquissciguy

pik4chu said:
Im very sure that educational facilities get major discounts for things like that...pretty much everything for that matter

I'm sure we're getting a better deal than a business would in the same situation. I don't really know if we are using the full bandwidth of the fiber either. Just ran a bandwidth test from my desktop - 2.7 megabits per second. Not too shabby.

Ken

su root

Senior Member, --, I teach people how to read your
DDR-PIII said:
there is OC-768 out too heh :) 40gbps prolly more though.

oh well since were kinda on the subject now, does the signal of the lines that run under? is that also with one NIC ? haha or multi NIC's ? or do they use something else.
OC (Optical Carrier) lines run on using SONET (Synchronous Optical Network). It's extremely high-speed digital fibre optics. There is no "NIC" per se.. the data needs to be multiplexed into the line.

The multiplexer takes input from a number of sources, and "queues" stuff to be put onto the fibreoptic line. SONET, I believe, uses TDM, Time-Division Multiplexing. Which means that every input connection has a timeslot of a few miliseconds every second. So every second of transfer has a little bit of data from each input. T1's and T3s also use multiplexing.

You should be able to find any terms you don't understand on webopedia..

su root

BGPatterson said:
what kind of connection does this forum use? anyone know? just a curiosity.
AFAIK, the forum servers are located at a server hosting site, where they probably share OC-3, T3, and T1 lines from different backbones.

DDR-PIII

Disabled
su root said:

OC (Optical Carrier) lines run on using SONET (Synchronous Optical Network). It's extremely high-speed digital fibre optics. There is no "NIC" per se.. the data needs to be multiplexed into the line.

The multiplexer takes input from a number of sources, and "queues" stuff to be put onto the fibreoptic line. SONET, I believe, uses TDM, Time-Division Multiplexing. Which means that every input connection has a timeslot of a few miliseconds every second. So every second of transfer has a little bit of data from each input. T1's and T3s also use multiplexing.

You should be able to find any terms you don't understand on webopedia..

Thanks for eplaning that for me :)

su root

DDR-PIII said:
Thanks for eplaning that for me :)
np. Also-- I'm sure you've heard of "fractional T1's", right? A T1 consists of 24 "data" channels. A fractional T1 is buying one or more of those channels (and not all 24). Each of those 24 channels has a slot in the multiplexer. The slots that you rent can be used in the multiplexer. Each channel can carry 64k of data.

T1's arn't for data only. Originally they were used to combine (or muliplex :eh?: ) 24 telephone voice conversations into one line, instead of 24 seperate lines. So T1's can carry either voice or data.

Jonny 2x4

I am looking into getting a T1 line for my neighborhood. It's a fairly new subdivision with maybe 35 houses. I need to get my stuff together and start asking people around the neighborhood if they're interested.

Also, can I make these people that say they want to do it sign a binding contract? I mean, If I pay this $1000 or whatever for a T1 through springfield (the Illinois fiber-optic carrier) I don't want to be stuck with it without any other money. I'm going to try to get enough people to where I can resonably charge them to "pay for my internet." If I get the $1000 and I promise to be the network "admin" for them and help them out, it would be a good deal for me to get the free T1 line. Does this sound like a good idea?

The major problem is the start-out fee. They would have to pay a lot just for the networking hardware to utilize this speed.