• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tablet Advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kohta

I have 2 $50 Amazon Gift cards and i have been looking at ways to spend it, i have a HTC Amaze phone which has been an amazing first android experience, however my speaker is busted in it and it just isn't quite big enough.

What i need
I need a device that can play MP3 playback and open PDF files so i can read the transcript at the same time, making the clarity of text and screen size an important factor, i need something i can browse the web with and not be a total drag. I am enrolled in Phoenix University and their app i can run on my HTC Amaze however i can't seem to find a way to get a Microsoft Word type of app that can save as .doc or .docx. I do not plan to play games but i do watch Youtube occasionally, don't care about netflix or hulu.

Iv'e narrowed down my options because i am looking to spend $0 extra, this is completely staying within the budget $100 including shipping which is free for these. So between these two i am having a hard time figuring out which would be the better buy.

KingPad 7'' AKASO R7X $94.99
znXviwz.jpg
Specification:
Operating System: Google Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean)
Display: 7 Inch HD IPS LED Blacklight Multi-touch screen (1024x600)
Processor: RK3066 Dual Core up to 1.6 GHz processor; Quad core ARM Mali 400 MP GPU
Internal Memory: 8 GB
RAM: 1 GB DDR3
Memory Expansion: MicroSD card (up to 32 GB in size)
Camera: Front facing 0.3MP, Rear facing 2.0MP
Wireless Connectivity: Wireless N Wi-Fi (802.11b/g/n)
Ports: 1 x Micro USB(OTG); 1 x miniHDMI (1080p or 720p); 1 x 3.5mm
Sensors: Gyroscope
Battery: 2,800 mAh, 3.7V

Allwinner 9" Dragon Touch $96.99
KOH2IXC.jpg
Specification:

Display: 9" multi-touch Capacitive screen, 800x480 pixel
Product Size:9.4"x 5.8" x 0.51"
Weight :17.36 ounces
Operating System: Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
CPU: All Winner A13, Cortex A8 at 1.2GHz
GPU: Mali 400
RAM: 512MB
Storage: 8GB internal (approximately 6GB available for user content). That's enough for 80 apps, plus 10 movies or 800 songs or 6,000 books
Battery life: Up to 10 hours of continuous reading or 8 hours of video playback, with wireless off. Battery life will vary based on wireless usage
Wi-Fi: Supports Wi-Fi networks or hotspots that use 802.11b/g/n for WEP, WPA and WPA2 security using password authentication
Preloaded Apps: Play Store(for more apps), Adobe Flash Player, Gmail, Calendar, Clock etc.

3G Function: Not built in, support external 3G/WCDMA dongle
Extend Card: Support TF card up to 32GB
Camera: Front camera, 0.3 Mpx
Gravity Sensor: Yes
Port: MINI USB port;3.5mm earphone port; TF card port, DC Jack

I'd go with the first one. Just a note, in general, people seem to have weird issues with cheapo Android tablets. If at all possible, I'd try to get a Nexus 7.

I was going to say the same thing Knu.

Don't waste your money on a cheap tablet, get a Nexus 7. I've only heard of 5 year olds being happy with anything that cheap.

Can't get a Google Nexus on Amazon (Gift cards) and it's $100 over budget

What we're trying to warn you of, is that you won't be happy with something that cheap. I've used them, they're stupidly slow, and the screens look like a bag of crap. Typically you have about a 30 degree viewing angle in both directions and a 480p screen.

What we're trying to warn you of, is that you won't be happy with something that cheap. I've used them, they're stupidly slow, and the screens look like a bag of crap. Typically you have about a 30 degree viewing angle in both directions and a 480p screen.

Oh that sucks, i thought it would atleast look like my PS VIta since that has a 960X540 resolution. I'll just spend it in something else, thanks for the heads up.

No problem, cheap tablets are just what they sound like, cheap.

You can use it for computer parts or something now :thup:

Back