• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Taking a steam game from one OS to another

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I got Dirt 2 off of steam and of course I get bad download speeds (lucky if I hit 10kb/s). In a few weeks I'll finally be able to get on a decent internet connection and download it. Here's the catch. On my desktop I'm running Windows 7 x64, I'll only be able to download it on my laptop which is Windows Vista x32.

I was wondering if I could download it on my laptop when I'm there and copy the Dirt 2 files out of the steamapps folder when I get back. I tried something similar when upgrading from vista x64 to 7 x64on my desktop and steam still recognized all the files and I was still able to run them, so I was just wondering if it will work just as well when going from a 32bit OS to a 64bit OS or would I just be wasting bandwidth.

jaymz9350

it should work just fine between the 2 OS's, since it's a 32 bit app it will be the same reguardless. and Steam has a built in feature for backing up your games.

Leviathan41

It's much faster to just copy the files from the Steam directory to your new OS than to use Steam backup. The Steam backup utility is really made for backing up the games to DVDs, there is no need to waste time compressing the files if you are just moving them to a new OS.

OP
freakdiablo
K thanks, just wanted to make sure it wouldn't bug out on me. I've gone the copy directly from the apps folder route before so I'll just go with that.

jaymz9350

It's much faster to just copy the files from the Steam directory to your new OS than to use Steam backup. The Steam backup utility is really made for backing up the games to DVDs, there is no need to waste time compressing the files if you are just moving them to a new OS.

True but if internet connection and or speeds are an issue it sure wouldn't hurt to back up to DVD for future use as well.

turbohans

accually through the backup utility you can create an exicutible file. just copy that and run the exicutable.

that can be done by just saving the folder to your desktop and then moving it. It will ask disk size but just put somthing in larger thatn you need.

Leviathan41

accually through the backup utility you can create an exicutible file. just copy that and run the exicutable.

that can be done by just saving the folder to your desktop and then moving it. It will ask disk size but just put somthing in larger thatn you need.
I know that, but I'm saying it's much faster to just copy the Steam directory over to the new OS, there is no need to let Steam create these executables if you aren't backing up to DVDs, just copy the files directly over.