• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

task scheduler for shut down?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TimDgsr

can you use task scheduler to shut a computer down? I found an article on how to make it reboot, but I haven't tried it out yet. just curious if anyone knows off hand

DDR-PIII

Disabled
if u wanna do it with the task thing just do click the browse button once you inthere and it asks which program you want to use, then goto C:\windows\system32\ and add shutdown.exe and click next then set the time you want to shut down at oh it'll ask you if u wanna do it daily weekly,monthly,,,,etc...

OP
T

TimDgsr

DDR-PIII said:
if u wanna do it with the task thing just do click the browse button once you inthere and it asks which program you want to use, then goto C:\windows\system32\ and add shutdown.exe and click next then set the time you want to shut down at oh it'll ask you if u wanna do it daily weekly,monthly,,,,etc...

thanks, thats what i was looking for. for some reason i was thinking it was shutdownnt.exe and search wasn't finding it.

OP
T

TimDgsr

well, shutdown.exe is a command line executable with switches.

so in the task scheduler line, you really have to type C:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -s -f

the -s is to shutdown

the -f is to force running apps to close

not really sure if the -f is necessary, but i added it in to be sure.

thanks for the help :D