• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tbird 1.33 (and 1.4) runs @ ungodly temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ArticJoe

Registered
ok, where should i start?

system specs:

Asus A7A266
Athlon tbird 1.33 (got rid of my 1.4 in hopes of reducing heat, i was wrong =\ a wasted 95 dollars)
CoolerMaster HHC-001 Heatpipe w/92mm 60cfm fan
ArcticSilver 3
512 mb pc2100 ddr (crucial)
Geforce 3
Maxtor 7200rpm 60gb hdd
Western Digital 7200 30gb hdd
6 countem 6 80mm case fans
Chieftec Full Tower Case
Antec 400w PSU
cant think of anything else but my nic and sound card

well, when i was running my 1.4 ghz tbird, with my thermalright sk-6 and that god awful delta fan, i was running at 49 idle 50 or more load.

so then i took off both case sides, and put a floor fan that sat directly near an open window that blew straight into the case. that cooled it off considerabley not to mention froze my *** every night.

so then i was getting ready to build my new system (a couple of days ago) and i figured i would get a slower cpu to avoid this heat trouble again. so i went out to a local store and bought a brand new OEM 1.33 ghz tbird. much to my surprise it now runs at a steady 53C (last i looked) and god knows what at a load.

just for a side note the Arctic Silver is applied right (unlike on my old cpu where i used like half the tube)

any clues as to why this runs so hot or to what i can do?

i know this is a really newbie question but im gonna ask it anyways, should the HSF blow onto the cpu or away from it? mine is blowing away right now.

turn the fan away, in my expiriance they wok better when they blow into your HS, those tems are way to high for that HS, is it scratched?

nope its brand new, right after i took it out of the package i put the AS3 and stuck it on.

well you said it cooled down when you took the case sides off, sounds like bad case cooling. Where, and which direction are your case fans?
You only put a haze of AS3 on right?
Also, remember, the 1.33 is Amd's 3rd hottest chip.

What is the vcore? Even though it may be set to defualt, some motherboards always run higher. which would raise the temp quite a bit. However, if this is true, there's not much you can do about it.

took off the sink clean the cpu and reapply some thermal compund (just a little bit) it sound to me link rather your sink is sitting wrong or theres to much thermal compund
you should be around 40 idel

well good morning!

howdy articjoe - I am running athlon 1.33 and I am about 41.7ºC idle, system and psu are about 25/26ºC idle.

I also defogged the L7 bridge to give me the max default Vcore, apparently the BIOS is telling me that it is 1.9v (1.91v Sisoft Sandra)

I have not yet pushed the chip to see what it tops out at under heavy load (still attempting to get a decent OC speed out of it) right now I have it OC'd to 1.5ghz

I think with proper case cooling: wires tucked out of airflow's way, couple exhausts (you should have 5 exhaust, 1 intake in my opionon) - perhaps moving the hard drives higher up in the case (so they do not heat up the air that is coming in). AMD has a good pdf for this, have you seen it?

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/cooling_guide.pdf

Also a big time cooler is blowing into the heat sink - that is if you have proper exhaust pulling out that hot air around the cpu.

Oh and what are you using to measure the temps, anything that might be giving a higher reading (or is this from your BIOS)?

jus'ma2cnz <- made that up really quick for you! :-}

brodo

ok:

CrackedSkull;

i have 5 80mm enermax adjustable (set at highest setting) fans 3 blowing air in from the front, and 2 blowing air out the back.

and i have a very very thin layer of AS3. it is applied just like the instructions on their site said.

brodo;

i have no clue what an L7 bridge is =( but the bios is set at 1.75 (but it runs at 1.85)

http://www.liquid-reality.com/Will/mycase.jpg

and that shows that there isnt any clutter in the way of the airflow.

im stumped.

aj:

try turning some of the fans around ... maybe that would work? You might have too many blowing in and not enough sucking the hot air out.

Did I see that you did not have a chipset fan? :p Last night I added a larger heatsink (looks green and similar to yours) with a dab of AS2, plus a fan and it seems to keep the temps perfect.
Oh and your case does look cool.

I think perhaps you are not getting the hot air around the cpu out well enough. Giving you the benefit of the doubt that your compound is on as best you can get it on! (no pun)

Maybe that metal bar running across the case and top of the cpu is preventing the hot air to escape quickly?

oh and don't worry about the L7 bridge, I was just kinda showing off.

brodo

Well if you are reading it off the motherboard sensor, the asus boards are extremely well known for displaying temperatures up to 10c higher than they really are. At 53c(if it really were) i'd think you'd run into some stability issues there.

aside from half-life crashing due to some type of opengl error, it hasnt crashed on its own yet.

oh yea, that could be all it is! heh just your mobo giving you false readings.

at 61ºC max for gaming, 51ºC actual you should be fine. I am sure most here might not like it, but before I got the fever for OC'ing and Cooling - I could recall running just fine at 49-52ºC. Of course I am assuming that my readings were accurate :-}

brodo

well those are old, i need to update my profile hehehe. that was when i knew nothing about OC and cooling and was using an orb fan on my 1.4ghz athlon.

Back