• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Team 32 Falling Behind BIGTIME....and im sick of it.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bon3thugz43v3r

Alright, I have seen The [H]orde and OCAU pull away slowly for long enough and I'm gonna do everything I can to close the gap. With summer just around the corner this means two things.

1. A lot of borgs will be lost for all teams..(schools closing)
2. A lot of oppurtunies to get more borgs from all the vactions you go on and a lot of spare time.

As I sit here compiling my ultimate borg floppy disk with the following...

Single CPU with -advmethods
Single CPU without -advmethods
Dual/HT CPU with -advmethods
Network Installer

...I'm stuck sord of wondering what the BEST settings are as of right now for each type of CPU...heres what I have now...and let me know if these are the best settings. Keep in mind that I will edit the bigpackets according to the amount of memory the computer I am borging contains...

AMD-no advmethods, bigpackets on
P4-advmethods, bigpackets on
Dual/HT-advmethods bigpackets on

Lastly.. on my machines at home...

AMD's = -local -service -verbosity 9 -forceasm
P4 = -local -service -advmethods -verbosity 9 -forceasm

Are these flags correct? What about -forceSSE? Is -forceasm needed anymore?

I want to make sure I have everything set up for getting the most out of each type of CPU. Hopefully more of you on the forums will see this thread and do exactly what I will be doing this summer when I see an oppurtunity in front of me. I don't want you to just read this thread like any other previous thread you have read trying to persuade you to get more people folding. Actually take action this summer and lets narrow the gap. Lastly, thanks to all of you here at the overclockers folding team. You guys are great and it continues to be a pleasure now, and as it has been the past two and a half years, to help out the team and contribute to the forums.

I think you can forget forceSSE, as SSE is used anyway, forceasm doesn't seem to have effect in core 5.
Could you make that disk "very easy to use and configure"? So guys could easily set possible destinations during app run or during disk making and other stuff like that? I think that it may help with borging.

Other thing - it might be as well one exec for any comp, if only it checked CPU type. It can be pretty easily checked in Linux and Windows (both WinAPI and WMI), there's also Enviroment variable in Windows, that might help - PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER - you could make installer check it and install FAH with proper settings.

Eventually, it would be possible to make some kind of ultimate installer / configurer, that would check some internet page / service with best configs, check machine on which it's installed and install FAH or configure it according to these settings, so it would be probably possible to keep comps at best settings all the time. Naother issue is that preffered settings rarely change. It's mostly 1 instance per each CPU, with advmethods for P4 (for A64 too?).

I like the idea. I will borg the pc's in any internet café i can find in spain ;)

We do need alot of extra firepower. No one can gather it alone, we need to mobilize at large. Such a disk would be of great help if properly working and available.

Ven0m said:
I think you can forget forceSSE, as SSE is used anyway, forceasm doesn't seem to have effect in core 5.
Could you make that disk "very easy to use and configure"? So guys could easily set possible destinations during app run or during disk making and other stuff like that? I think that it may help with borging.

Other thing - it might be as well one exec for any comp, if only it checked CPU type. It can be pretty easily checked in Linux and Windows (both WinAPI and WMI), there's also Enviroment variable in Windows, that might help - PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER - you could make installer check it and install FAH with proper settings.

Eventually, it would be possible to make some kind of ultimate installer / configurer, that would check some internet page / service with best configs, check machine on which it's installed and install FAH or configure it according to these settings, so it would be probably possible to keep comps at best settings all the time. Naother issue is that preffered settings rarely change. It's mostly 1 instance per each CPU, with advmethods for P4 (for A64 too?).
I really like that idea. I'm not that great of a coder, but I'm sure someone around here could possibly make that type of installer. If we could make one that would check the cpu type and amount of memory and then resort to some sort of page with the best settings for each, then we'd really have a great way to borg with max performance. Great idea.

I have just borged a P4 3Ghz from a friend of mine. Will keep borging around, and keep the progress in my sig in order to attract more people.

*EDIT*

and yet another borg by just asking nicely over MSN.

Last edited:
not exactly sure what borg means.....but is there a way to load this on school comps so it will run in the background at startup??

less chance of being deleted/uninstalled that way.....

im sure theres a way i can get this up and running at my school......just need the insight as to how to do it....

ludeboy12 said:
not exactly sure what borg means.....but is there a way to load this on school comps so it will run in the background at startup??

im sure theres a way i can get this up and running at my school......just need the insight as to how to do it....

Yes! There is a way. Read through this STICKY thread on the different methods of Boring.

Borging = Installing FAH on a computer.

ludeboy12 said:

GET PERMISSION FIRST!

Just a reminder. We don't want F@H to get a bad name because people install it w/o permission.

Bon3thugz43v3r said:
I really like that idea. I'm not that great of a coder, but I'm sure someone around here could possibly make that type of installer. If we could make one that would check the cpu type and amount of memory and then resort to some sort of page with the best settings for each, then we'd really have a great way to borg with max performance. Great idea.

My current skills would allow only making it for .Net platform. WinAPI / Linux would be too hard I think. Still, reconfiguring is open question - would it be on demand (sit @ desk & click), sheduled or running as service (problem with RAM consumption). .Net application downloading the most recent FAH, setting it up and configuring would probably weight around 20-40kB. I think it could be done as VBS too, so wouldn't require .Net framework. Other problem - I'm not experienced with network Windows management, so I don't know if I could make it install on whole network (when it's on domain controller). "Best configuration" would be probably kept on some server as XML file.

I have a fairly good idea of how to do this on Linux in Perl, and have been working on it for about an hour now (it's basically my first time using Perl, lol). I'll let you know how it goes. You could probably change it around some and make it work on Windows as well.

electrorcamd said:
I have a fairly good idea of how to do this on Linux in Perl, and have been working on it for about an hour now (it's basically my first time using Perl, lol). I'll let you know how it goes. You could probably change it around some and make it work on Windows as well.

Let us know how it goes buddy.

not sure if anyone mentioned it, but with the bigpackets, just install one instance for the p4. if it is a real dual cpu machine that is a different story. But for single HT chips, I'd stick with bigpackets and one instance.

Don't make FAH more complicated than it is. For instance, you can have -advmethods on for both AMD and Intel, however, Intel will get the QMD's and AMD will continue to get other Grommies. The only real choice you need to make is whether you want BigPackets on or off.

Big memory, flip that thing to on, sub-512MB, leave it off. (Except people have had luck with dedicated folding layers that have 256MB or Ram. Your performance may vary.)

You also need to keep some kind of responsibility in the installation of FAH to the end user and make sure you have permission etc etc etc....

Borg responsibly, and often. :D

Oh, and back OT:

We're in deep sheet.... While summer is coming here, it's ending for the Aussies. They are moving into colder temps and higher clocks with school starting up verus our situation of the exact opposite.

Don't let it freak you out though, this same cycle has been happening for a few years now. We do need to up the recruitment though, they are killing us in that department.

Comps count is dropping fast - it looks really bad... While OCAU and [H] are up up up... they've got like 1.5K, we'll end with half of what each of these teams have if nothing changes...

It's not only about getting new rigs, it's also about keeping current. We have poor recruitment and can't keep comps folding. I know that it's easy for me to say that, as I haven't got many comps, but it just worries me.

Wedo said:
Big memory, flip that thing to on, sub-512MB, leave it off. (Except people have had luck with dedicated folding layers that have 256MB or Ram. Your performance may vary.)

I did want to throw it out their that my main rig that I use consists of...

Barton 2500+
10 x 240 (2T-2-2-5)
2x256 Mushkin BH-5

I run this rig with no -advmethods but I still get gromacs more often then tinkers...and I run bigpackets on to snag some of the 600 pointers. How do I get gromacs running no -advmethods?

Back