• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Team 32! *I Challenge You*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vonkaar

Team 32! I CHALLENGE YOU

Just so there is no more confusion... this was a contest I ran a long time ago. It's no longer valid. I bumped this as a, "hi, I'm back" post... I didn't think about the original intent =p. Sorry!

I CHALLENGE YOU, Team 32!

Too long have I been the master of all things Borg (including the Swedes). It has come time to lay down the gauntlet and instigate a duel for ye daring souls. Do any of you think you have what it takes to oust the mighty Vonkaar from the top of the pile? Bring it on, I say!

I am folding through 65 machines. The next closest competitor is Nikhsub1, at 45. I have spoken with him and he agreed to be excluded from this competition, to allow for for the youth to have a chance. I am looking for a challenger! Can anyone match my borg-fest? My 65 active CPUs vary in range from Pentium 233s all the way up to a single top-of-the-line P4-3.2ghz. I have requested folding assistance from friends, family and online gaming buddies. I have done everything I can possibly do to ensure that I rank at #1 in CPU-count. Sure, there are several of you that beat me in PPW, but that's not what my challenge is about =p.

My challenge is for anyone to beat my current CPU count. Bring it on ya'll. If anyone can beat 60 Active CPUs, I will reward them with their choice of a prize ^_^. Go out and borg machines, build yourself a farm, do whatever it takes to BEAT VONKAAR.

Sooo... here are the rules:

1) This contest will go through March 1, 2004. You have until then to successfully borg more than my current CPU count(as of 8:00am 9/23/2003) of 60. SIXTY is the number you are shooting for here.

2) This is open to new members as well! If you know someone that runs an enormous network and you think you could convince them to join, go for it! There could be a nice prize in it for you.

3) Nikhsub1 is excluded from the race. He agreed to this rule because he's about to get 80 CPUs *anyway* so he'd automatically beat anyone fairly soon. Also, he's afraid of my power. Wedo and OC3d are also excluded because Nikhsub told me to. I think he's afraid of them too.

4) I will *not* increase the CPU count at any time. This is the one rule that I will not change. You are going for SIXTY active CPUs. Not 59, not 58... as soon as I have a verifiable SIXTY from the http://folding.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/userpabe?q=USERNAME page, you win. Almost any other rule can change, but the 'gist' of the challenge will not.

5) No TEAM-UPS. Besides the active teams and collaborations like OC3d, FTWL or the Ninjas... or active partnerships like OSUmaxx, I don't want to see 3 or 4 current folders decide to combine up for a temporary high-count. The goal here is to add NEW ppw, not consolidate our current folders.

6) By entering this competition, you are acknowledging the fact that Vonkaar is your lord and master.

7) Prizes will only change for the better. I may have typos here and there in the descriptions, but I will NOT pull any type of bait and switch prize here. You won't see the prize description for an Extech 450 DMM and get a $20 rat-shack multimeter in the mail. However, if the competition REALLY heats up, I just might up the ante with an even BETTER prize package.

8) This rule is here to ensure that you read and agree to rule number 6.

9) I might throw in some consolation prizes if I see some dramatic borging going on, but the 60 isn't met. Example, let's say Mustanley takes me up on this challenge and is able to peak at 51 active CPUs by March 1. Although he didn't break the 60 barrier, his 51 PCs are probably all completely top-of-the-line machines and he's breaking 20k ppw, so... I might make an exception and declare him winner. Basically, if nobody breaks the 60 barrier but they were able to add 15k ppw to the team, I might end the contest and say 'cong, pick your prize' to that lucky contestant.

Prize details! If you somehow beat my current record of 60, you can pick ONE package from the list. No picking and choosing! I will VERY LIKELY add a 4th and possibly 5th package to this list, so if this stuff doesn't excite you, don't fret. Keep borging your machines and you might see something you like added here.

Prize Package #1:
An introductory water-cooling setup!
Contents include:
MaxiJet 1200 pump
Danger-Den Maze2 waterblock with mounting hardware!
An original Cooling-Cube! Perfect fit for 2 120mm fans!
Over 4 feet of reinforced tubing.
Hose-clamps.
3/8" barbs.
Get your new folding rigs the overclock that they deserve.

Prize Package #2:
A dream air circulation package!
Just *try* and move more air in such a small space.
What you get: Three(3) refurbished NMB 120x38mm Fans capable of pushing an unknown amount of air at an unknown noise level! I say unknown because I can't seem to find the specs on these things... but I *will* say that they seem to move just as much air as my Delta D151F fan, which is rated at 152 cfm. LOTS of air movement, but not nearly as loud.

In addition to these 3 high-quality fans, you get a PORSCHE of air cooling!

Behold:

TWO(2) ETRI 148VK 115v AC fans! These things were banned at Geneva for their ability to wreak havoc on enemy coastlands. They are the Chris Farley meets El Nino of axial fans. Tornados can bow down before their might, hurricanes pose no threat to the awesome power of these things. Weighing in at around 2lbs each, these metal beasts are capable of pushing 253 CFM EACH! An amazing feat for only 57 dBA. Imagine 1 foot of space for your fans being able to push over 500 cubic feet of air PER MINUTE. Wow oh wow!
Link!

Footnote: If you would prefer smaller fans, let me know. I can swap the 2 beasts out for more 120mms of nearly any manufacturer... Pabst, Panflo, Boxer, Nidec... you name it!

Prize package #3:
A brand-new, in the box Extech Model 450 digital multimeter!
DESCRIPTION
The model 450 is a Rugged MultiMeter with built-in Non-contact InfraRed thermometer and True RMS functions. • Includes built-in non-contact IR thermometer with laser! • Low current capability ? measure down to 0.1ìA • Audible and visual input alerts • Easy to read 1 inch digits on backlit display • MAX function • IR thermometer has 8:1 distance to target ratio, 0.95 fixed emissivity • Complete with CAT III test leads, multi-position tilt stand and velcro strip for hanging, protective holster with test lead holder, and 9V battery.
Valued at $99.00!

Link!

Ditch that nasty radio shack multimeter and get yourself a real man's tool. Not only do you get a high-quality mutlimeter, you get the versatility and ease-of-use of a digital infrared thermometer! Not sure what your CPU is running? Aim the laser-beam at it. Boom! Instant temperature reading!

Shipping is provided, FREE OF CHARGE!

And remember, it's not about the prizes... it's about the chicks. Oh and, the competition. And also the chicks.

GO, my little monkeys.
Borg!
Borg!!
Borg!!!!

Last edited:
would 30 HT chips with 2 processes running count as 60 chips? ;)

not that i intend to do that... thats a ton of bank. :(

Maxvla said:
would 30 HT chips with 2 processes running count as 60 chips? ;)

not that i intend to do that... thats a ton of bank. :(

I would say yes because it would show on stanford as 60.

Re: Team 32! I CHALLENGE YOU

vonkaar said:
Nikhsub1 is excluded from the race. He agreed to this rule because he's about to get 80 CPUs *anyway* so he'd automatically beat anyone fairly soon. Also, he's afraid of my power. Wedo and OC3d are also excluded because Nikhsub told me to. I think he's afraid of them too.
I am? What the? Really? OMG, no one told me this! How unfair, I protest! This is not the last you shall hear from me! :D

j/k

well i oove this idea of competion, and i am going to give it my best shot but, 60 active cpus is alot, well at least to me. so i dont think i will even get close to the top winners, but that still wont make me not try. great idea. peace out

Whoa! i was about to borg 50-75 machines sometime soon, but im gonna make it go into the FTWL so oh well. But damn! thanks for the link to those 250 CFm fans!!

Cheers! (everyone get out and borg!)
-Nick
:cool:

EDIT: darn. this mac wont open it.

Question: What is to stop people from running 4 instances of FAH on each computer? Unfortunately that counts as 4 active procs. I'm not saying that people will try to cheat, but still...

Well, I'm hoping for the honor code to kick in a bit... but even four instances wouldn't help much unless they already have a lot of computers, and at 1/4 speed, they can still finish all four WU in one week. As far as I know, there are only a few people in team 32 that have that kind of speed to begin with, and we know their average PPW. You would not only need to ensure that you got all 4 WU turned in during one week, you would also need many machines timed up to get all 4 sets of WU all during the same week. Overall, those people wouldn't have any boost to their PPW, so I would know that they are cheating =p

Some new person might do this, but again, they'd have to have an awful lot of processing power behind them to not only get the 4 instances, but the 15 computers all running 4 and turning them in on time. So, welcome to the team =p.

But again, I'm really relying on the honor system for most of the loopholes.

OSUmaxx said:
Question: What is to stop people from running 4 instances of FAH on each computer? Unfortunately that counts as 4 active procs. I'm not saying that people will try to cheat, but still...

We would probably be able to tell because the PPW wouldn't go up, just the CPU count.

Vonkaar, your dedication and generosity have totally inspired me to attempt your challenge (and maybe prize #1;) ).

RideGuy

PS- Did I mention I went orange today? :attn:

Oh... I don't ship to Canada. The rest of the world, yes... but I'm still bitter over the whole Hockey thing, so no Canada ^_^

This is A GREAT IDEA VONKAAR!!!! This is the type of dedication we need to thecause and the team! I'll do what I can do reach the goal!!!! Thanks for the challenge and putting up the prizes!!!!!

Just to clarify would an HT p4 running two instances count as two or one ? I know I have 5 of them which count as 10 to stanford.

It would count as two.

Oh and... Fast420A, the credit isn't all mine, thank my girlfriend for whining about my messy computer room =p. Especially on the second prize package... she knows I like fans, but I have probably 30 fans laying all over my work tables and she thinks it's a little stupid =p.

LOL!!! My wife's the same way about all my crap lying around in my computer room. She won't say anything If it were free though! :D

I am in. The club I started at school is under the username DRT. By March I should have a nice amount of processors. I hope 60, but I will need to get way more than people from school. We are currently talking to the tech people about folding on all the computers, I think its fine, but we will have to see. So far I have 4 active cpu's. I am not going to switch my rigs over from FTWL to DRT just to win the contest, thats lame. All 4 cpu's are just borgs, I will get 60 or at least as close as I possibly can. I challenge all of you, too. Lets go for it.

Matt

EDIT: Oh yea, what happens if FTWL wins it becayse of modenaf1's borg? Since many people are in on this can we make some kind of an agreement, split the stuff up, what happens?

or the one who gets the most.....

and do they hafta fold 24/7, if I get my school to fold (7-3) thats like 200 comps, but the ppw wouldn't be insane 'cause they can't fold 24/7, would that suffice?

Back