• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Team 32! *I Challenge You*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Seems like this is a pretty dedicated group! Hopefully, if we all push, we can move up the charts! BTW - has anyone put together an email template that one can just forward to a group of people? I have sooo many contacts in my address book, it would be easy to get more folders :)

I can do this myself, of course, but don't want to duplicate efforts made by someone else in the group. Maybe there's an 'official' OC Group template??? Later!

Ronnoc

Not even close. but I can get a handful of P3's going again, and update a couple of XP's that are not using SSE. Plus the steady borging of 1 or 2 CPUs/ month that I can usually pull off. However, I'll probably lose the linux netowrk (36 CPu's) here pretty soon adn it'll go back to the regular admin, overdoze (also on team 32). Hoping to get that 71 up to about 75 pretty quick...

We'll see. I have another job to do that's tenuously related to overclockix that could borg a whole lot of Duron 1.6's to my username. But I can't get started with that until I clear my already full plate.

Haw! I saw that 71 the other day but no postings on my thread =/. Then I started to cry. It was then that I realized that I'm still a freaking badass lord among men and never cry, so that story was all made up.

Just sit back and watch Von, the fireworks are about to begin. Between Nik and Wedo's newest project and mine we will have fun:D

Unfortunately, I can't justify the pII and PIII's to stay online anymore. So they have been OOS for a couple weeks and will be sent to my salvage yard soon. What's gonna be fun is my Daughters school. Don't know how much I'm gonna get in the long run but.....there is an end possiblility of around 70 p4 2.4's. I now have permission to borg my 1st 5.

ps. Microsoft is a fuddy duddy. Apperantly they have been approached before and now have a policy :mad:

But I have 2 lawfirms talking and 1 other school. Maybe something will pan out with them

I hate to sound like a noob, but please explain to me what borg is and all these abbreviations, from what Ive deducted so far, is its some type of program that is ran ...??

please explain to me how to do this, I would like to take the challenge thanks

F@H or F@H or folding - n. folding@home, a distributed computing program run by many thousands of PC's wordwide to advance the science of protein folding through simulation. The project was created by Stanford University. Because small amounts of work are distributed to so many CPU's, the research advances faster than it would on ordinary super-computers. Users of the software compete with each other over how much work their computers complete. Stanford University logs each user's contributions based on a username and team number.

borg- v. to install folding@home on a computer (often one not owned by you, but for which you have pernmission to install folding on)

The challenge- Borg more than 70 CPU's for the folding@home project under your own username and vonkaar will give away some hardware.

Now i'm ****ed. If my damn school district could understand that running the CPU at 100% all the time doesn't hurt the processor (they think that you can overwork a processor), I could have 3000+ (yes 3000) CPU's rangeing from about 200mhz to 2ghz within a week.
Looks like I will have to stay with my 2 :(

I am going to try to compete!

I have a total of two computers folding now, just need 58 more! The way I see it, even if I only get 10 computers folding, it will help, so how can I go wrong?

E:)

Problem. Paranoid computer owneres!

I hate people that make computer viruses!

I thouht I could easily get 40 or so computers folding at night, but everyone is paranoid about getting a virus! I can understand their concern, they need computers to run the company. It is just sad that people are so paranoid about getting a virus, that they deny a good, helpfull program to be installed! Does anyone have any ideas on what I can tell the people so they will use the F@H without worrying about their network stability/safety?

E

Re: Problem. Paranoid computer owneres!

hafaphoto said:
Does anyone have any ideas on what I can tell the people so they will use the F@H without worrying about their network stability/safety?

E

There have been numerous threads concerning the safety of running F@H and how it is secure. Search the Folding forum for "Security" and you'll find a number of threads. Also, there is a great write up at the Stanford site.

Wedo

You get an award! Yay!
fishy-award.jpg

Re: Problem. Paranoid computer owneres!

hafaphoto said:
I hate people that make computer viruses!

I thouht I could easily get 40 or so computers folding at night, but everyone is paranoid about getting a virus! I can understand their concern, they need computers to run the company. It is just sad that people are so paranoid about getting a virus, that they deny a good, helpfull program to be installed! Does anyone have any ideas on what I can tell the people so they will use the F@H without worrying about their network stability/safety?

E
What about security issues?

We have worked very hard to maintain the best security possible with modern computer science methodology. Our software will upload and download data only from our data server here at Stanford. The Cores are also digitally signed (see below) to make sure that you're getting the true Stanford cores and nothing else.

How is this possible? We take extensive measures to check all of the data entering your computer and the results we send back to Stanford with 2048 bit digital signatures. If the signatures don't match (on either the input out the output) the client will throw away the data and start again. This ensures, using the best software security measures developed to date (digital signatures and PKI in version 3.0), that we are keeping the tightest possible security.

Finally, the client/screen saver are available for download only from this web site, so that we can guarantee the integrity of the software. We do not support Folding@home software obtained elsewhere and prohibit others to distribute the software.

From here: http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/faq.html#misc.security

That's awesome {PMS}fishy ^_^. Seriously though... that's an awesome accomplishment. If I had the ability to be as competitive as I was then, I'd possibly start up another contest. 117 is freaking incredible.

vonkaar said:
That's awesome {PMS}fishy ^_^. Seriously though... that's an awesome accomplishment. If I had the ability to be as competitive as I was then, I'd possibly start up another contest. 117 is freaking incredible.

I can't take all the credit. Keep an eye out for the next couple of weeks. It might go up.

Back