• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Team captains!! Or if you know linux it would help...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arkaine23

Captain Random Senior Evil
I'm getting big into Linux, and in a foreign forums, I posted about [email protected] They don't have a team of their own, so of course I suggested they found one or join 32. Anyway, I'm trying to answer questions for them and help a few people get addict.. er started. :)

Keep an eye on this thread and if you can help with answers on the setup it would be nice. Me, I'm still a newb at Linux so i don;t know much about how to get the folding client to do cool stuff like run a start up or on a crontab schedule (although maybe I'm selling myself short and just lack confidence to post instructions for what I think).

Spreading the Fold Thread...

Last edited:

Gnerma

mdwatts
Moderator (Mr. Google)

:eek:

Alrighty lets hope some of these guys join up with team 32..
you might want to tell them about the contests etc too :D

rogerdugans

Linux challenged Senior, not that it stops me...
Took a look, no questions yet- not that I am that good at linux, lol, but hey! I can try!

What I want to know is who were they talking about with a huge sig?......................

NASsoccer

On a string I was held Senior
hey i think i might have some scripts bookmarked on my home machine, when i get in later tonight i will dig through them and see what i can find!

FOLD ON
NAS

macklin01

Computational Oncologist / Biomathematician / Mode
linux help is here.

I'll post mine:

I like to run my script like this:
(Assume that the name of the console version is
FAHconsole)

First, here's my script:
Code:
# file: FAH
rm -f nohup.txt 
rm -f hostname.txt
rm -f FAHlog.txt
hostname > hostname.txt
FAHconsole -advmethods -forceasm

Next, you'll need to do this:
Code:
chmod u+x FAHconsole
chmod u+x FAH

This makes the script file executable for the user. That should be all the setup necessary. (The first line may not be necessary, but it never hurts.)

To run it, do this:
Code:
nohup FAH > nohup.txt &

This will keep the client running even if you log out, and all visual output will be ported to nohup.txt.

Lastly, here's how I check my progress:
Code:
grep . hostname.txt
grep -i protein FAHlog.txt
tail FAHlog.txt

I put the preceding lines of code in a script file cfld (check fold). (You'll have to make that file executable, too.)

Just to explain what that file does, the first line tells you which host you're looking at, the second line gets the names of the proteins you have worked on and are workign on. (-i makes it case insensitive.) The tail part shows you the last 10 lines of the log file, so you can see how it's progressing in time.

If you put the FAHconsole file, FAH file, and cfld files in your bin directory in your root directory, (~/bin) you can just type them like you would any other command. (no path information required.)

The "hostname" stuff isn't necessary, but if you're folding on multiple machines, it sure helps to remember what's running where. Use a separate directory for each machine. (e.g., fold, fold1, fold2, etc.)

I hope this helps! :) -- Paul

PS: I won't be going to that other forum (no time), so if somebody would like to post this there or link to it, that would be great. :) -- Paul

Last edited:

gtsimmo

NASsoccer said:
when i get in later tonight i will dig through them and see what i can find!

Dig through them! Bwahahaha. That's exactly what you'll have to do NAS. Since you have links to just about everything anybody can ask. :D

OP
Arkaine23

Arkaine23

Spreading the fold

One person joined 32 with a Mac and a K6-2 I think. And the thread has grown and isn't sliding into oblivion just yet. :)

They were complaining about my sig, which was the same as the one I use here. So I changed it (over there) right away to make it smaller.

I'll probably link this thread with these fancy-shmancy scripts and how-to's since a lot of their forum is full of Linux newbs, like me.

AmigoThree

Cool, atleast you got 1 guy to fold for sure. Those are the kind of responses I get when I try to ask people to do it.

But there was a kid I recently helped build his PC for (he knew most of what to do ) so I told him he needed to run [email protected] to burn in his proc. I said to leave it on for about a week, so we'll see how long after that he keeps folding...

EDIT: BTW he put it under my name too :p

Penrich

Re: Spreading the fold

Arkaine23 said:
One person joined 32 with a Mac and a K6-2 I think. And the thread has grown and isn't sliding into oblivion just yet. :)

They were complaining about my sig, which was the same as the one I use here. So I changed it (over there) right away to make it smaller.

I'll probably link this thread with these fancy-shmancy scripts and how-to's since a lot of their forum is full of Linux newbs, like me.
Its an Imac 800MHz and a Pentium II 266 MHz, BTW. :D I feel humbled to be in the presence of overclockers though. My PII definitely shames me, but maybe I can get a new one next year... But y'all better be careful what you say about linuxnewbie.org now, 'coz there is one amongst you... (maybe some more of you should go over there and fire up a real OS?). Anyway - Its good to be amongst you. I'll do some reading now before I tread on any (more) toes.

EDIT - Your sig was not as long as some, and no-one complains to them. Jealousy?

macklin01

Too bad the only good WU is just for win32 right now. (The 61x's) My linux box production has been decimated by these 2-pointers and .7-pointers ... -- Paul

OP
Arkaine23

Arkaine23

Good to see you here, Penrich!

Some of us do use real OS's, but not nearly enough! I'm already learning a whole lot over at linuxnewbie forums, and I'm dragging a couple of these guys (kicking and screaming) with me. Stick around if you like, the people are friendly and you can definietly learn to pick out uber PC hardware and at good prices too.

Just installed gentoo here at work as they're about to upgrade all of the boxes... now we're gonna spend a couple of days getting it just right!

rogerdugans

A note on running DC stuff in linux: I still haven't tried it with Folding yet (too many projects, not enough time!) but I use wine to run a win32 client on my linux stuff for "another project."

And get great results, I might add:D

macklin01

Hmmm, does that let you get the -advmethods projects that are otherwise only available to the win32 machines? -- Paul

rogerdugans

At the risk of mentiong the other project, I do use command line switches to start it up.
My command is below:
wine -- setiathome -proxy 192.168.1.11:5517

I start in my seti directory and the proxy switch gets the client to look for my wu cache pc instead of the main server.

I am running RedHat 7.3 and wine configures itself, so I have NOT had to find all the conf files and so on needed to set things up!

start in the executable directory or put the full path to it after wine -- and it should work fine :)

Maybe I'll switch my other Linux box over for a while to test it out (after I replace the head gasket on my car....:()

macklin01

Hmm, well, the linux boxes at school don't have wine, so I guess I won't get to test that idea. But thanks! :) -- paul