• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

temp (and voltage) too high on stock 4790k - noob questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

webunicorn

Registered
I did a build, and you can see the thread if you wish.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=747336

relevant parts:
Intel i7-4790K
GIGABYTE GA-Z97XUD3H
Noctua NH-D14
G Skill Sniper Ram
Corsair 400R case and Corsair 600W PSU

and it was fine except CPU temps seem erroneously high under load, there's a screenshot of a test with open case and 80F room temperature, that's a 3 min test. But closed case with letting prime95 run, when the room was almost 100F (about 36C), the CPU got to 100C.

So I couldn't get any help from TOM's Hardware but I picked up some tips there that the voltage, 1.37, is way high for non-overclock and probably causing temp issues.

The BIOS is where I am supposed to fix it, but honestly, I know the BIOS sets the clock, and the startup volume, and helps install the OS, but I don't know where to start fixing this, can someone help?

2helpxf.png.jpg

edit: if someone asks if I messed up the bios or cooling, I just put everything together carefully following instructions.

With a 36°C ambient you're simply going to need a better cooler.

Go into the bios and set the vCore down manually to 1.25V then attempt Prime95.

Also if running prime 95 most recent version 28.5, when it hits the small ffts in blend, there are many on other forums complaining of hitting 100C at stock vcore if vid is in 1.22 to 1.26 range or higher, even with aftermarket air coolers. Stock intel cooler most will hit 100C even with lower vid.

Also I would check which bios you have for your GB Z97XUD3H motherboard...should be F7. Your bios if recent should not be setting vid incorrectly at 1.37v when you havent oced. My guess is you have an early bios.

Also if running prime 95 most recent version 28.5, when it hits the small ffts in blend, there are many on other forums complaining of hitting 100C at stock vcore if vid is in 1.22 to 1.26 range or higher, even with aftermarket air coolers. Stock intel cooler most will hit 100C even with lower vid.

Also I would check which bios you have for your GB Z97XUD3H motherboard...should be F7. Your bios if recent should not be setting vid incorrectly at 1.37v when you havent oced. My guess is you have an early bios.

You are right on the money, I actually decided to update the bios yesterday after my initial post and to not run prime95 anymore. After the bios change the intel test gives a stable 70C and 1.18 volts, about what other people reported. I will try the intel test when it gets hot today and suspect the Noctua cooler will keep it under 80C even if the room is about 36C.

I noticed that if I turn the PC on and check the stats it will be at 4.4GHz even with nothing running for a few minutes, it's probably normal, a background process or something.

Only other problem... I have a mallware infection from downloading CoreTemp which was recommended in a Toms Hardware thread.

Coretemp doesn't have malware but a pup (potentially unwanted program). Just run mbam, and you'll be fine. Try hwmon, instead.

I see you have hwmon, already, just run mbam.

Thats funny, I can watch it running and temps will go to 75C on water at 1.325, then after two minutes or so you will see th etemp rise to 85-90C while testing, and then it will roll back down to 75C and run for another few minutes 3-5 at 75C before the cycle starts again.

I hate my EK Cpu waterblock. the old RBX danger den would never let temps get that high.

It's probably a false positive reported by your virus scanner. Where did you download it from? If not from the official alcpu site, remove the currently installed version and re-download it from there...

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

I had ad popups all over the place, after uninstalling one program a new one showed up. So it is adware, if you don't want to call it malware, and the company is doing it themselves intentionally, do a Google search and you can see others think so as well (and it's not a new thing, it goes back many years). Yes I did skip some fine print reading but that's no excuse.

Back