• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

temp vs voltage, which really hurts the cpu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ares350

right now I have a watercooled AMD as seen in sig.

2640mhz
42degree idle
48degree load
1.95v

now that isnt particularly high on temps. so what would happen if I tried to bump the multi and give it more voltage? 2.05-2.1v seems like alot, but is it really hurting anything if its still well cooled?

Aphex_Tom_9

48c load is good and 1.95 vcore is acceptable. im at 1.97, i used to run higher, but backed it off a bit, getting into the 2+ volt range probably wont fry your cpu immediately, but id be wary

racpuc

your cpu will last until you upgrade. I run 1.95 24/7 w/o any problems. High voltage doesnt affect amd unlike intel. Going over 1.7 for intel might kill it.

I've heard of a64 onboard memory dying. Not sure if the new CG version still get affected by this or maybe have been an isolated problem

Last edited:

bigfoot

I'm at 2.05 vCore and i've ran it that way since i bought it about 2 years ago, it's never crashed EVER, it's @ 2.4Ghz and i have a Volcano 12 heatsink with the fan @ full tilt, i will never crash until it hits 69 celcius on the dot (inside core measurment) and it's never passed 60C with this setup, even when my non air-conditioned house hits 90 (33C) inside