• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temperature probe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gersen

Is there a good way to add a CPU temperature probe to a system that doesn't have one? I'm looking for something that would work with either a Slot 1 processor or a socket.

What vendors sell aftermarket temp probes?

I've seen some digital temp readouts on case mods, but I don't know if they were showing CPU temp or ambuent case temp.

Gersen

I may be mistaken, but I remember seeing a picture of someone with a "Radio Shack" temp probe set-up

If you are referring the the R.S. model I think you are, the probe on the end of the cord is pretty big. Take heart though, if you carefully cut the probe apart, you will find a very small thermistor on the end of the wire. That can be fit into all but the smallest of spaces.
There is another digital thermometer, I've only seen picturs of, that looks like it is so thin, that you can fit it between the HSF base and the CPU ceramic and nudge it up against the edge of the core. Sorry I don't have a make and model number though. I seem to recall they go for around $14.99 from one of the OC resellers.

Hoot

I think you're talking about the Comp-U-Nurse. It's a temp probe being imported by globalwin. I got one and I really like it. I haven't had the time to seat it next to my cpu core, so I'm just using it to measure system temp right now. 2cooltek sells them for $14.00, which I think is well worth the reassurance that your rig isn't runner hotter than all hell.

Peace

Back