• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temperature Question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BF_TEXMASTER

I have a question about my temperature on my CPU.

I have a lot of fans (4 120mm) blowing directly on the mobo and CPU with thermal paste, well you get the idea. and 3 plus one 92mm blowing out

I have a Cusl2 mobo and my temp reading is 48F at idle.

I have been told time and time again that this is not possible but others have said the thermal paste in conjunction with the massive amount of air could knock it down that much.

Which is it? And is there a better way to read the temp?

Thanks.

Well, all I can say is that back when I used to air cool, I had the alpha p3125 with military fans on it, and a 120mm fan( blowhole), sucking the air out of the case directly adjacent to the alpha fans which I had drawing air off the sink... and my cpu temp was the same as my case temp, unless under a heavy load .... shrug

I kinda doubt it, you are violating a few laws of thermodynamics. What is most likely is that you are reading 48C, not F.

To answer your question, no. Ambient temperature is as low as you can go with air cooling. Once you go into the realm of sub-ambient, then the heatsink will start absorbing heat from the air, essentially reversing the roles of the air and the heatsink. Everything wants to come to equilibrium, and that equilibrium is moderated by the huge heat absorbing capacity of the air. No matter how much air you pump over a surface, barring wind chill factors in extraordinarily cold environments, it will never get below ambient... OK I will give you a few degrees in extraordinarily windy environments, but not 20+ that you are seeing

If your thermal probe is external to your system, put it in a pot of boiling water and see what it reads. I bet it is about 60F too low (water=212F/100C).

Back