• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temperature Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

killer7

Hey whatsup everyone. I just got a new Vantec Nexus fan speed/temp reader so I can sleep at night!!! My fan is a biggun and it's LOUD. Anyhow, I keep it at full speed when playing games and stuff, but at night, how hot is too hot? I know that it can run stable at even 80 degrees (centigrade), but is this really healthy?

altec

polka dot ninja
Most chips will not run stably at 80C, but the chips are not rated to die until like 85C, but will probably not run stable above 60 or 65C. You should be fine if you want to turn your fans down while it's idle, but I wouldn't turn it down too much while you are under a good load of CPU stress.

Glaze132

80º celsius is way to hot when overclocking and even too hot for stock speeds and voltages. Even with AMD's Heatsink they bundle you will probably get around 70º celsius in a non-ventilated case but that is OK because it is stock and not overvolted or oc so I would keep it below 55º celsius when oced during the night time but if you are folding throughout the night I wouldn't recommend over 50º Celsius.
I hope that all made sense.

altec

polka dot ninja
Folding is using your CPU to find ways that proteins fold to aid cancer, and other horrible disease research. If you want to learn more head over tho the folding forum and ask some questions, it is a good way to use your unused CPU cycles.

Anyway, yes, folding stresses the CPU a good deal, so he is refering to not letting the cpu temp go past 50C at full load. That is a good reccomendation, but as your computer is sitting idle, it is fint to turn the fans down a bit and let it sit so you can sleep...or you could just turn the computer off.

altec

polka dot ninja
If you look into folding, you can also be saving lives with all those idle minutes: definatley something I think we all should look into.