• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temperature Spikes Reported on Intel's Core i7-7700, i7-7700K Processors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenrou

https://www.techpowerup.com/233018/...ed-on-intels-core-i7-7700-i7-7700k-processors

TLDR: "Apparently, some users are seeing temperature spikes that reach as high as as high as 90°C (out of a recommended 100ºC.) Some users even go as far as admitting to have replaced Intel's fabled TIM, and running the CPU under a water cooling solution, only to find those temperature spikes still happening - and their cooling solutions rev up in response."

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
"some users are seeing temperature spikes" ... really all those who are seeking for issues will find them, these CPUs are getting hot and keep that high temps, it's nothing new but some are just looking for problems so they can start next forum thread and complain for couple of weeks/months. Not saying about you Kenrou but in general.

OP
Kenrou

Kenrou

"They're ticked because Intel basically shrugged off the temperature spikes as being normal, and telling them to run their unlocked CPUs at stock settings rubs salt in the wound." - might be a bad batch if it's only a few (or only a few that noticed).

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
For me it looks like normal spikes when CPU has something to do and goes to 100% load for short period of time. Somehow all are complaining because their 7700K can't make 5.2GHz stable. Many users don't even have proper cooling for these chips and they don't know how voltage is affecting internal temps.
On the other hand Intel is not guaranteeing overclocking and never said how high cpu can overclock. Because of so many articles around the web, people are just buying 7700K with 5GHz+ on their mind and later are disappointed so they look for any stupid reason why their chip can't make stable 5GHz+ on a budget cooler. Many are testing CPUs in popular stability tests but later all is crashing in games.

My KL runs hot, the same as all others but I can't see any temp spikes when CPU is loaded to the max. Spikes are when CPU runs some stability tests and perform various calculations. Tests like Prime95 or OCCT show +/- 10°C when CPU is at 100% load .... because all cores are in use not always mean real 100% load.

I call it user's issue, not CPU issue. Somehow this "issue" was reported by one website and now we will see it reposted in other places what will cause global cpu issue. There can be single faulty CPUs but they connect it to every single KL "overheating" issue. One article base on some complains and Intel statement, there are no additional facts, tests or anything. I just expect to see repost on next 100+ "news" websites with stupid comments made by people who are not even using these CPUs. This is how internet works nowadays.

Last edited:

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
Most likely users who set adaptive/offsets and run into a heavier load than they tested the CPU with. P95 type AVX2 is going to kick the voltage and temps up large compared to an AIDA64 based "stable" PC

mackerel

To quote myself from another forum...

I think this is nothing more than generic butt-covering. If Intel were to say "it's fine, do what you want" then when it breaks, they could be liable for that. The stance is nothing more than "you could do it, we don't recommend it, so if you break anything, it is 100% your problem, not ours". That's standard overclocking risks.

Basically pcgamer is trying to blow up a non-event into a story.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Most likely users who set adaptive/offsets and run into a heavier load than they tested the CPU with. P95 type AVX2 is going to kick the voltage and temps up large compared to an AIDA64 based "stable" PC
Which is part of the reason i dont touch that stuff. :)

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
There is negative offset for AVX but I guess that barely anyone is using it.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Here comes a mountain...when its only a mole hill...

Oh oh oh... crying over spilled milk...

I haz moar...

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
that's what I mean, just wait till this "issue" will be reposted around the web :bang head

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
It has been already... it didnt land here first, lol

Read the thread at tpu... its friggin hilarious.

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
*Pets i7 6700k* Good chip, good chip. Sit, no OC without high temp spikes :screwy:

Curious to all those that are having the "issue" if they are on a stock cooler, if its OC'ed, did they force the voltage for stock or is it automatic... so many questions.
I mean yes AMD has had really hot chips, even Intel has had very hot chips. So everyone seems to be complaining more to the fact that its an instant spike from cool to HOT? Maybe the stepping / voltage increase from idle to load is a little aggressive.

Anyways Intel isn't necessarily handling the PR nicely with it considering the fact they do sell chips that are OC friendly. Thankfully AMD has a relatively good alternative now.

OP
Kenrou

Kenrou

*Pets i7 6700k* Good chip, good chip. Sit, no OC without high temp spikes :screwy:

Curious to all those that are having the "issue" if they are on a stock cooler, if its OC'ed, did they force the voltage for stock or is it automatic... so many questions.
I mean yes AMD has had really hot chips, even Intel has had very hot chips. So everyone seems to be complaining more to the fact that its an instant spike from cool to HOT? Maybe the stepping / voltage increase from idle to load is a little aggressive.

1st link says yes to all of the above, OC, non-OC, on air and water, and yeah my 6700k also never complained, but the "issue" seems to be only happening with 7700/7700k so... I always had spikes on AMD side, fluctuations on the Bus Clock, never bothered to check if it was the same for Intel :p

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
6700k is about the same as 7700k, there are not many changes. Difference is in stock voltage and turbo mode. 6700k ( usually ) runs at about 1.15V +/- .02V while 7700k runs up to 1.25V at auto ( at least supposed to ). Every voltage bump is affecting max temp and every couple of steps it is getting worse. Die is really small so it's hard to cool it down. You simply can't keep these chips below 90°C on average cooler when you are overclocking them. Every KL is acting the same, it's not only 7700/7700k. Above average cooler isn't enough for 1.35V under full load in AVX applications. That's why at auto, clock/voltage is going down and that's why there is negative AVX offset.
One day you see all showing their 5GHz+ on $30 cooler and 3 weeks later you see all complaining about too high temps and temp spikes.
Personally I see no special difference between SL and KL at the same voltage except that KL generally overclocks higher and I've owned maybe 8 of them and tested couple of more at work.
When you set 1.4V+ on average cooler then for sure you will see voltage spikes. Difference between 1.30V and 1.40V can be up to 20°C if not more. On most, even better coolers on the market KL will pass 90°C at 1.25-1.30V full load in new Prime95 or similar test.

Last edited:

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
1st link says yes to all of the above, OC, non-OC, on air and water, and yeah my 6700k also never complained, but the "issue" seems to be only happening with 7700/7700k so... I always had spikes on AMD side, fluctuations on the Bus Clock, never bothered to check if it was the same for Intel :p

Bus fluctuations are normal from both camps... spread spectrum...reduces emi interference. This is unrelated. :)

wingman99

I don't have a problem with voltage spikes with the i5 6600k overclocked to 4.5GHz Vcore 1.344v and I'm on a hyper 212. With the i7 7700k at stock 4.4GHz I see people complaining in the forums, the most annoying sounding complaint is the CPU fan goes from full speed to Idle then full speed in a second while web browsing.

I think the problem with kaby lake is the 14nm+ FinFet transistor channel is taller and thinner retaining heat with less condition causing a spike of temperature. 14nm+ FinFet was the major change on the kaby lake compared to my fine working sky lake i5 6600K OC 4.5GHz.

This is 14nm FinFet transistor below, then the 14nm+ FinFet is taller and thinner for faster switching speed.

14nm FinFet.jpg

14nm+.jpg

22-14nm FinFet.JPG

Last edited: