• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temporary overclocks only when needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Steven-1979

I use EVGA Precision software to OC my graphics card. Basically the card runs under normal settings, but when I run a gpu intensive game, I open up Precision and load an OC profile which I have previously tested as stable. I have a couple profiles so I basically use the least OC needed to run the game at the settings I play. ie- I don't have to run the max OC in my sig when a smaller OC would do just as well for a certain game. I'm pretty sure thats how everyone does it since you can't OC your card through bios.

What I'm wondering about is what does everyone think of OC'ing the cpu in the same way? Right now, I run 4.2ghz 24/7 but on the rare occasion I *think* I need it (I know the difference in performance is probably negligable), I use Easy Tuner to load the settings for 4.5ghz. When I'm done with whatever I need it for I go back to 4.2ghz. But what if someone were to undervolt/underclock their cpu for 24/7 use then run an OC profile from something like Easy Tuner when they need more power? It seems like you'd be getting the best of both worlds:

1) A low clock/voltage/heat setting that (supposedly) extends the cpu's life when you're just surfing the net, watching movies, etc

2) The higher vcore/clock/heat settings OC profile only when needed. As soon as you're done with the program, the settings are taken back down to a lower one.

I'm pretty sure very few people do it this way ... I know I don't. But why?

tool_462

I've never had any software that actually could switch CPU voltage and clocks drastically enough to justify my not just leaving my CPU at my chosen 24/7 clockspeed.

If good software existed, I'd be all over it though :)

Flurp

I personally wouldn't mind running full OC 24/7 on the cpu because... either you'll be wanting an upgrade by the time you actually do kill the chip... maybe you don't want to go through the hassle of changing the settings everytime you want to do something cpu intensive... you like seeing the high clocks when you open up your sys info... you want to kill you chip sooner so you have a reason to upgrade and can rationalize spending few hundred bucks more often than if it was still running normal and healthy at lower clocks... bragging rights of running a high OC 24/7 and not just stability testing... meh but everyone has their reasons for why they do it :) Personally though... It takes too much time to get the maximum OC out of your cpu with your specific cooling, board, mem, gpu, and other periphrials to just go back down to stock and such... i mean you spend all the time getting it there you might as well keep it there...

CompuTamer

Member with Some Fancy Text Under His Name
I personally wouldn't mind running full OC 24/7 on the cpu because... either you'll be wanting an upgrade by the time you actually do kill the chip... maybe you don't want to go through the hassle of changing the settings everytime you want to do something cpu intensive... you like seeing the high clocks when you open up your sys info... you want to kill you chip sooner so you have a reason to upgrade and can rationalize spending few hundred bucks more often than if it was still running normal and healthy at lower clocks... bragging rights of running a high OC 24/7 and not just stability testing... meh but everyone has their reasons for why they do it :) Personally though... It takes too much time to get the maximum OC out of your cpu with your specific cooling, board, mem, gpu, and other periphrials to just go back down to stock and such... i mean you spend all the time getting it there you might as well keep it there...

+1

I spend too much time trying to get my i7 stable to just back it down to 2.6 again. I let the OS handle the clocks, and it works well... idles cools, gives me power when i need it. What more could i need?

My video card is set for 300 Core and 400 mem in 2D mode, and 695 core 1095 mem in 3D mode. Runs cool enough to where the fan could *in theory* be turned off when idle (i run it at 30% as it tends to hang when spinning up from 0% to 60%) and then i have all the power i could possibly use when under load.

Random: Yesterday i couldn't get the Core to go over 685 lol

Krogen

The core i5/i7 overclock themselves as needed (turbo mode). So I don't see why overclocking on-the-go on other CPUs would hurt.

As for the graphics card, just set the 3D settings to whatever you like... I would leave the 2D alone.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Aside from some Asus boards (may be others) its a pain to go back in and input all your settings to re overclock. Even going back to default isnt as easy b/c you have to disable floppy, set boot order etc... On most boards its not that easy.

Heh, the ONLY game I play that I need to o/c my GPU (same as yours mind you) is Crysis.

Bobnova

My GPU spends it's entire windows life OCed, and it's linux life at stock.
The CPU varies depending on my mood, from 2.5ghz 337fsb and 1.00vcore to the 3.7gh 1.36vcore in my sig.

Malakai

Can be done with AMD Smart Profiles. Its basically software version of the i7 thing where it ups the multi on 1-2 of the cores in single/dual thread apps.

Note that while intels feature is automatically done and doesn't need to be set up manually, it also doesn'treally work that well. At most it will up the multi by 1 at the moment. You can set up AMD smart profiles to go as fast as you want, and it is also set by application, so you can set up your own smart profile for any app you want. It takes more time to set up, but the end result will be a much better performance increase in apps you set it up for.

tool_462

Aside from some Asus boards (may be others) its a pain to go back in and input all your settings to re overclock. Even going back to default isnt as easy b/c you have to disable floppy, set boot order etc... On most boards its not that easy.

The UD3P in your sig has the best OC profile saving setup ever ;) 16 different profiles if you use both BIOS :santa:

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Get out.........it does? How did I miss that???????????????? Seriously? Each bios has 8? I never even noticed. Wow am I embarassed.

*runs to manual...reboots...*

tool_462

Get out.........it does? How did I miss that???????????????? Seriously? Each bios has 8? I never even noticed. Wow am I embarassed.

F11 saves the profile, F12 loads the profile :)

Neuromancer

I've never had any software that actually could switch CPU voltage and clocks drastically enough to justify my not just leaving my CPU at my chosen 24/7 clockspeed.

If good software existed, I'd be all over it though :)

Cool n Quiet, EIST (speedstep) both work great. I do not have much of an overclock (don't need it, its only a 24/7 & Gaming PC, and I have yet to play a game that needed a CPU oc, but I am a high res gamer) on my main rig. I run 900 MHz at 1 v and 3200 MHz at 1.3 volts on my AMD 920, automatically. Usually while light gaming (civ4) HD Video watching IM'ing and browsing, I am running 1800 MHz without the HD video the light gaming never kicks my CPU out of 900 MHZ range. Modern games kick up enough that CPU will hit 3.2.

I am actually thinking of dropping this out for a lower voltage dual core it has so much more power than I need.

zangler

i could not LIVE without this feature since i had it with my abit i35pro...i guess it is on the newer side of things because it is fairly common for people to not know the feature is there.

Bobnova

Profiles are great, my board only has two slots (though it can save more to a hard drive), so i have 2.5 and 3.7 in there.
My dads AMD asus board has eight i think.