• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Terrible image during 2nd 3dMark06 CPU test?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Amtrak

The attached image shows my current problem. So far, I have encountered this only during the second CPU test in the free/trial version of 3dMark06. I have not noticed any other problems anywhere else in my use of this current monitor and am otherwise extremely happy with it. This also never occured with my old monitor, even when running with identical settings.

As stated, I've tried the test with the identical CPU and GPU overclocks as with my last monitor. I've even reverted back to stock settings and the problem still exists. This is the only test that does this, and in fact the test itself seems to run perfectly fine. Using the Print Screen button, the image screenshotted is correct and is what should be being displayed (that is, no distortions or discolorations). The test or benchmark does not fail, and once this CPU test is done, the remaining tests continue normally.

I have no idea what could be causing this.

Attachments

• DSC01502-2.jpg
    DSC01502-2.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 224

tinymouse2

shiney

Have you tried to change the resolution? You often get those crazy colours up the top part of your monitor if you run a strange resolution or something. Try running the test again at the lowest possible resolution. Only other possibility is corrupt Vram but it doesn't look like that at all.
Run it at a different resolution and tell us if it's gone away. If it hasn't... I'm stumped

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
You cant change the res in the free version of 06.

BUT, the GPU tests are 1280x1024, and Im not sure if the CPu tests kick it down even further, that may be the issue is your monitor just doesnt like that res (if it kicks it down).

jmdixon85

I think the CPU tests run at 640x480. I wouldn't worry about it, your display just doesn't seem to like that resolution. Your PC completes the test ok and as you say everything else works ok, so I would not be worried.

OP
Amtrak

Amtrak

My system is Prime95 blend and large FFT stable for well over 50+ hours each. It's also passed 200 passes of LinX. As I've said, I've even reverted the whole system to completely stock settings and the monitor problem still rears its head. The image captured in a screenshot is correct and the results of the benchmark don't seem to be affected, so that all leads me to believe it is not a stability issue.

What I find strange is that it only occurs during the second CPU test. The first CPU test displays perfectly fine, and I don't believe they run at any different resolution or anything like that.

Nevertheless, I will spend some time this evening running different resolutions and drivers and see if anything changes.

OP
Amtrak

Amtrak

Okay, I've had a bit of time to mess with it now, and it seems to be a resolution/driver issue. With the 186.something nVidia drivers, the second CPU test was the only one that was ever problematic at the few resolutions I tested, however, everything displayed properly when I dropped the resolution to the lowest possible setting. Upon updating to the most recent WHQL nVidia drivers, the problem was ten times worse at the max resolution. With updated drivers, the first test was the only test that displayed properly. All others displayed in a similar manner as the picture in the original post. Dropping the resolution to 1280 x 1024, the second CPU test was again the only test showing problems. Further dropping it to the lowest resolution causes more problems still.

I really, really hope I don't encounter this problem anywhere else, because right now this monitor is not liking 3dMark06 one bit.

smarty

Registered
Hello,

I have some problem too. I think this came when I installed new catalyst 10.7 drivers but not sure. Computer is not OC and it was running OK till now. Maybe someone know what is wrong because of this bad CPU test (green lines on LCD) in 3Dmark06? Maybe is RAM damaged, CPU or maybe just graphic driver?

Attachments

• 20102010002_resize.jpg
    20102010002_resize.jpg
    759 KB · Views: 118
  • 20102010003_resize.jpg
    20102010003_resize.jpg
    771.4 KB · Views: 119