• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Testing CPU bottlenecks using multiple CPUs and a GTX 1080ti

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have not been able to run any tests yet but I did a small one last night with bf1 on the 7900x. 11gb of ram used. Interestingly enough, other systems used less. Like around 6-8gb of ram but for the multiplayer portion.

As for frames per second, it was around 140fps. I will post results for it when I can in the Excel sheet. At work ATM.

Edit: would also like to note that cpu usuage was at 30-40 percent max average.

Last edited:
I really like it it has good benchmark information.:clap: I have two suggestions. Change the thread title to something like testing CPU bottlenecks with a range of processors using a GTX 1080ti. Then where you have CPU, GPU usage on the spread sheet use the % sign.

Last edited:
So, was the Q9650 tested with a proper amount of RAM or left at 8GB and paging out in these titles? 144 posts of this and I just can't recall.

EDIT: I read up above... it wasn't. So... as I said earlier, you would want to mention on that spreadsheet that you were paging out (which can cause FPS issues and hiccups) so people are aware that information has more variables than the others affecting FPS.

Last edited:
In the past when I did not have enough memory for a game, then when memory paging out to the HD the FPS would drop to 0 FPS. I would be going along playing then when it loaded a new area of the map in BF4 and Crysis also other games then it would drop the FPS to 0.

Ive seen that as well as hiccups and stutters. Either way, he confirmed it was happening and the datasets were still used. Cant really call that fair or an accurate representation of a proper system. The bottleneck moved to something else. ;)

Very good and thorough research. Thank you. I had no idea the difference between 3770k and 7700k is so big.

@EarthDog

I understand that you stated to post whether or not if the system was paging, But i did not fully know about the signs of paging. The only sign of paging i knew of was back when i used to play bf1 on my 3570k with 8gb of ram. When all the ram was used up, fps would drop to 0 and windows would show a message saying in the bottom right corner that it was paging.

But I did not see that error message appear at all in any of the games i played. And if i did, i would have posted it was paging. I did see it stick above 7GB (7999Mb max IIRC) in some cases but still no FPS drop down to 0. Just some stuttering here and there IIRC.

And i know that i corrected my previous post but i will post it again here. I checked newegg again and found that 8GB of ddr2-800 memory is 167 dollars. So once i find it cheaper somewhere else, because p45 is already old and EOL, i will buy it and test again.

@EarthDog

I understand that you stated to post whether or not if the system was paging, But i did not fully know about the signs of paging. The only sign of paging i knew of was back when i used to play bf1 on my 3570k with 8gb of ram. When all the ram was used up, fps would drop to 0 and windows would show a message saying in the bottom right corner that it was paging.

But I did not see that error message appear at all in any of the games i played. And if i did, i would have posted it was paging. I did see it stick above 7GB (7999Mb max IIRC) in some cases but still no FPS drop down to 0. Just some stuttering here and there IIRC.

And i know that i corrected my previous post but i will post it again here. I checked newegg again and found that 8GB of ddr2-800 memory is 167 dollars. So once i find it cheaper somewhere else, because p45 is already old and EOL, i will buy it and test again.

You are looking in the wrong place for DDR2, my friend. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=DDR2
2x2 GB of DDR2 800 $17.

Motherboard im using is a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P with only 4 ram slots. Two kits of 2x2gb would make 8gb only not 16. i need a 4x4gb to make 16gb.\

most of those ram sticks are made for server use...unless i can use them for gaming. even so, the rights ones im finding in that list are still around 300 dollars.

4 GB DDR2 sticks were always pricey. That was back when 8 GB was "enough". ECC is server memory, but other than that, RAM is RAM. At the same speed and timings G. Skill isn't any faster than Nanya. It's a shame you're on an Intel system. Old AMD chips were ECC compatible and here's 32 GB (8x4) for $67.50.

Unless someone has a reason this won't work, $28 https://www.amazon.com/Buffered-PC2...&qid=1532495330&sr=8-4&keywords=DDR2+4+X+4+GB

I buy 2 GB sticks of DDR3 1333 from those guys for under $10. Works like a champ. Nanya ICs, but I know it will clock up to 1600 MHz with a couple button pushes in BIOS.

@EarthDog

With Windows 10 testing BF1 game using all the available memory limit to 7999 MB maximum then it stalled and the FPS went to 0, for me windows did not show a page file. You could purchase DDR 2 800MHz on ebay cheap and see if the benchmarking won't stutter.

Last edited:
I could, but i need it to also be able to overclock. Which is why i keep picking the same g.skill memory. If there is any other memory that can help overcook the q9650 to 4ghz I will definitely look into getting it as long as it's affordable.

Last edited:
After some amount of doubt i went back to the after burner logs. I was wrong (sorry!), the max used i ever saw recorded was actually 7452MB MAX for ram usage. After burner did not show processor name so i went to google sheets edit history to see when the q9650 was done. And based on what i have seen in the logs, the ram usage was actually going around between 6-7GB and up but never hitting over the 8GB mark. I also checked FPS as well but just as i expected, did not see it dip to 0 FPS.

Anyone here think i should retest the q9650 at all? or just leave it alone?

Are you saying the memory never went over the 8GB mark with 16GB of ram? If so you would not have to retest. If your saying with 8GB of ram and it did not go over 7999MB it won't do that it will page out when reaching that high or the game will be loading new map movement memory from the hard drive.

Last edited:
yeah it never went over for the q9650 during testing. and that is the one that has only 8gb of ram. it never even went over the 7999mb. i remembered wrong.

I meant 8GB will not go over 7999MB, it will show 7999MB and not go any higher because it is page out when reaching that high or the game will be loading new map area movement into memory from the hard drive.

Back