• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Testing DSkool Miniature Compressor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Alright, I just sent an email to them asking if one of the testers on the site could review the product. Lets hope for a positive response.

Well baed on the order form they sent me, apparently the company is based in China. I'm not biased whatsoever against products from China since..well...nearly everything is made from there anyway (figuratively speaking).

The product comes with 1 year warranty I believe, however they don't have local distributors...anywhere...for this type of device. On the other hand they are rather well known for producing climate controlled t-shirts (think of a t-shirt with tubes running inside it that connects to a backpack with a refrigeration unit). :clap: (I have to get one of those haha).

I really want to read some reviews on someone using this device first before investing in it.

Know of anyone that has tried it yet?
you're not biased about products coming from china????

China is famous for selling us junk, cheap junk, but 650$ isn't what I'd call cheap. Also, there's a big issue coming to head regarding chips that were manufactured in china that were intentionally made defective... many of these chips can now be found inside modern military electronics....

Well lets see....the Xbox 360, the PS3, the Kindle, the iPhone and the iPad are all produced by Foxconn which is a Taiwanese multinational electronics manufacturing company with massive factories in China that specializes in original design manufacturing.

An original design manufacturer (ODM) is a company which designs and manufactures a product which is specified and eventually branded by another firm for sale. So really....when it comes right down to it some of the products that are from China are pretty good. It just depends on the manufacturer.

Well lets see....the Xbox 360, the PS3, the Kindle, the iPhone and the iPad are all produced by Foxconn which is a Taiwanese multinational electronics manufacturing company with massive factories in China that specializes in original design manufacturing.

An original design manufacturer (ODM) is a company which designs and manufactures a product which is specified and eventually branded by another firm for sale. So really....when it comes right down to it some of the products that are from China are pretty good. It just depends on the manufacturer.
Right...... All of those companies also have quality standards for American companies that the sub-contracted manufacturer must meet. I'm guessing that if Foxconn wasn't up to par with Apple's manufacturing standards that apple's share prices wouldn't be quite as high.

The manufacturer of this product doesn't have any kind of oversight like that, and, I'm guessing that any type of RMA is going to be difficult or impossible.

I really can't say since no reviews have been made about the product, I emailed them an hour ago about having one of the testers here try it out. We'll just have to wait and see.

Fair, the worst they can say is 'no' right?

Yup yup, hope for the best, expect the worst.

I did check out other parts of their website, they posted the studies that the technology behind the compressor was based on.

You can see it here:

http://www.dskool.com/edskool/Download Pdf/Compressor 1115.pdf

and here:

http://www.dskool.com/edskool/Download Pdf/VCCPaper.pdf

From what I see from the studies so far, the technology was originally meant to cool down high powered electronics (telecommunications equipment and high performance computers) and was merely adapted for use on normal CPU processors.

It was originally designed by the Cooling Technologies Research Center, School of Mechanical Engineering Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana
and then adapted for use by Aspen Systems, Inc.

So this could result in three possible outcomes:

a.) its actually a really good method of cooling down a CPU since it was used to cool down telecommunications equipment and high performance computers.

b.) its too good a method of cooling down the processor and the below ambient temperatures generated will create enough condensation to fry your motherboard

c.) it can't cool the processor at all.

It really goes back to the issue of a product review. We can't say if its good or bad based on the data presented by the company we need an unbiased testing and review to see if its worth the price. If it is = yey a new method of CPU cooling that's smaller than the average watercooling loop and does a better job. If its not = nothing really lost.

It's a mini compressor with the standard phase change CPU top.

Rated at 400 watts. Is that current draw or cooling capability? 400 watts. That's a 33 amp draw, gonna need a good 12VDC rail for that. But it only needs 5 amps to run it?

Okay, pros need to tell me is 400 watts of heat the same as 12 VDC at 5 amps? Can a 60 watt chiller cool 400 watts of heat? I dunno about that. But I'm not a brainiac. I deal with generalities and hearsay.

Still, if it was the magic bullet, the quality manufactureers and main PC companies woulda been all over this already.

It's a mini compressor with the standard phase change CPU top.

Rated at 400 watts. Is that current draw or cooling capability? 400 watts. That's a 33 amp draw, gonna need a good 12VDC rail for that. But it only needs 5 amps to run it?

Okay, pros need to tell me is 400 watts of heat the same as 12 VDC at 5 amps? Can a 60 watt chiller cool 400 watts of heat? I dunno about that. But I'm not a brainiac. I deal with generalities and hearsay.

Still, if it was the magic bullet, the quality manufactureers and main PC companies woulda been all over this already.

Did some checking on their site, found this article:

http://www.dskool.com/edskool/Download Pdf/IntlApplMfgArticle2009.pdf

So apparently this type of mini compressor is rather "new" in the sense that it was originally developed by Aspen Compressors in 2009. They mainly focus on emerging markets for small and lightweight thermal management systems.

I found their website:

www.aspencompressor.com

Well on the left hand side of their website they made a list of various applications of the compressor:
Commercial / Industrial:
Telecommunications
Battery Cooling
Beverage Dispensers
Refrigerated Drawers
Solar Appliances
Marine Refrigerators
Automotive Coolers
Courier Service
Auto Racing
Etc. The list goes on and on.

My best guess is that DSkool is either a subsidiary of Aspen, they were originally contracted to make the compressors by Aspen or they just copied the technology.

The same articles and downloads about the device are also available on Aspen's site.

The compressor probably has a lot of uses and was re-purposed for CPU cooling. Kinda like how the liquid cooling systems we know of today were also originally re-purposed.

Wish they would respond to my email so that we can have someone test the thing.

I highly doubt that it can handle anything over a thermal load of over 60watts without some real testing. You have to generate alot of pressure and alot of flow rate to remove such large quanitities of heat. Which is why refrigeration units are as large and bulky as they are, Also this might be something thats meant only for small on and off cycles. Not constant Cooling, Constant cooling in such systems produce large amounts of heat as a byproduct of the compression process. This also puts additional stress on the components which is part of the reason they are bulky.

Send them an email to follow up, confirming that they received your previous inquiry about testing the unit.

One hour after sending that email, from a different email address, send them another email requesting a purchase/order form for this unit.

See which one you hear back on first. I bet you get the purchase order back, then never hear back about testing the unit. The problem with snake oil salesmen, is that they are selling snake oil.

Send them an email to follow up, confirming that they received your previous inquiry about testing the unit.

One hour after sending that email, from a different email address, send them another email requesting a purchase/order form for this unit.

See which one you hear back on first. I bet you get the purchase order back, then never hear back about testing the unit. The problem with snake oil salesmen, is that they are selling snake oil.

Yup, had a feeling.

So I did more research regarding phase change systems.

I actually found a company, Dimastech, with a "somewhat" similar product but this time I actually found a consumer review :salute:

http://www.dimastech.it/EN/c/cooling-technologies-dimastech/dimastech-phase-change-systems/1/

The review is a bit old though (2007) and it was reviewing the old E6850 dual core processors.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...h-SS1HP-Only-a-warming-up-run!82.2k-3d-01-ecc

Thing is huge though :shock: costs around Euro 683.29 (cheaper and smaller than the first generation phase change systems, still big though) but they do have smaller units that cost Euro 458.

20071106200244_beast.jpg

Its a miralce :shock: they actually responded, dskool that is, :clap:

"Hello Cameron,

Thank you very much for your mail.

Before our further cooperation, ADT hope to have the chance to know more about you and your company, so please fill out attached Questionnaire and send back to me.

Please cc every-mail to our director Simon too.

Thanks."

They sent a short questionnaire to be filled out.

I think a site administrator should be the one to handle this.

Oooooooooooh sweeeeeeeeet, I really hope we can see this thing in action :clap:

Nicely done, Cam, U gets some kudos!

Back