• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Testing I7 10700k without cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

moonshake

Hi there,

Just bought an I7 10700K with MSI Gaming edge mobo and 16 gb Corsair Vengeance memory. I´m in Argentina right now and don´t find a high end cooler at the moment at a good price as the hardware I´ve just bought.
The plan is to travel with the parts in my luggage and build my PC when I arrive home to Spain (also getting a Dark rock pro 4 for my new build).

But for the moment, in order to get peace of mind before I get back to Spain:

Do you think it ´s safe to test if the mobo and CPU posts without cooler?
It should be for a few seconds, see the bios and unplug it right away

(been with computers for more than 20 years but I try to go on the safe side with this things :)

Thanks in advance

I tried this once with an old AMD duron 600. It posted and after about 5 seconds totally fried itself. That said, modern cpu are supposed to have safeguards that will throttle/shut down if overheated to prevent damage. I wouldn't risk it myself....

^^^ I agree. CPUs will die in a very short period of time without a heatsink. So the i7-10700k is just the bare chip with no stock heatsink?

You don't need a high end cooler just to test it for being viable. I'm not talking about overclocking it you understand. Just pick up anything you can find that will fit your board socket if all you want to do is fire it up.

Thanks all for the answers.

You don't need a high end cooler just to test it for being viable. I'm not talking about overclocking it you understand. Just pick up anything you can find that will fit your board socket if all you want to do is fire it up. Sure thing, I´ll do if I find any L1200 piece fo junk with a fan on top :)

On the other hand, I guess I could travel with the hardware and go for international warranty/RMA if needed from Spain if something goes wrong

Back