• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Text blurry when switching from 720p to 1080p? Really strange!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SPL Tech

I use a 29" Vizio TV as a monitor and reciently I switched my desktop from 1280 x 720 to 1920 x 1080. Both at 60 hz. Doing so caused the text in some applications to become slightly blury. But only some apps. Affected apps include CPUID HWMonitor, CPU-Z, Evga Percision X. However, other apps look the same regardless of the resolution. Apps include the general Windows 10 UI, IE, Firefox, MS Word, Nvidia control panel. It seems like the text has become blury only on some applications, which is puzzling. Further, if I take a print screen of the two resolutions and compare them side by side, the differences do not stand out in the print screens like they do when viewing these applications in real time, which is further puzzling. There is a slight difference between the print screens, but it's more subtle than actually viewing the applications in the two different resolutions.

Any ideas?

Please share with everyone your theory about your 720p TV (by specs - please list model # so we can look too) that it can actually output 1920x1080. I think that is helpful information in this thread... :)

This is indeed strange. Is the TV capable of producing 1080p natively or is it really a 720p TV?

That's the biggest question... he said its a 720p TV (said his specs say it - we don't have a model to checl). Yet he swears he's getting actual 1080 out of it. I questioned that it was showing the input signal and down converting to the native res, but he also states he can see a clear difference in the image (though most couldn't tell 720p from 1080i if it was put in front of them). So......... not sure, lol!

Please share with everyone your theory about your 720p TV (by specs - please list model # so we can look too) that it can actually output 1920x1080. I think that is helpful information in this thread... :)

It is the Vizio E291-A1. It does list the max resolution in the manual as 720p, but the difference between 720p and 1080p is certainly noticeable both on the desktop and in games, not to mention changing to 1080p makes my desktop far smaller. Moreover the TV itself states that it is receiving a 1080p signal. If it is downscaling, it's doing a hell of a job because I cant even notice the difference between downscaled 4k to 1080p, but I can sure tell the difference between 720p and 1080p when I change the resolution in the control panel. I notice the difference in games for sure, and to a lesser extent on the windows desktop.

IMG_2416.jpg

Don't you have the input signal set there? What happens when you change the input signal to the native res of 1366x768? What does that say?

OR - Try to raise the screen res higher than 1080p and see what it says...

Last edited:
Don't you have the input signal set there? What happens when you change the input signal to the native res of 1366x768? What does that say?

OR - Try to raise the screen res higher than 1080p and see what it says...

It says whatever the resolution is. So in that case it will say 1366x768. If it's 720p it says 720p, and 480p and 1080i and so on and so fourth. The TV wont support a resolution higher than 1080p. The screen wont display the signal, or the signal is too distorted to view any infomation.

I'd reach out to vizio. There isn't one piece of info on the web showing that model is 1920x1080. When you are at its native resolution, 1366x768, do you have the problem of blurry text? At the native res, you shouldn't have that issue. I can see it if it was downconverting.

For giggles.. the model number you mentioned matches what is on the back of the tv, right?

Also, you.mentioned you had it set to 1280x720 which is below its native res. This would explain the visual difference (lcds are not as sharp when not at native res) and change in size if it's taking that 1080 signal and downconverting it to 1366x768 instead of what you had it on before...

Last edited:
Is there any chance calibrating with Cleartype will help ? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/products/windows?os=windows-10
I've done that and Cleartype is enabled. Not apps use Cleartype, but those who do look fine. I dont notice much of a difference between 720p and 1080p on apps that use Cleartype.

As far as 1366x768 goes, it looks like crap. The text is blurry the same as it is in 1080p. Interestingly enough, 720P looks far better than 1366x768 does.

Back