• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thank you Team 32!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jolly-Swagman

Great going IMOG lucky you found out before any serious damage caused. and a boost in folding production too!

OP
I.M.O.G.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
Ya, I'd have to say that Intel C2Ds are hard to kill. Lord knows my laptop was trying... Ironic part, I think that was last Tuesday or Wednesday that it got fixed, and just yesterday I fried that laptop by knocking over a glass of water while replacing the keyboard. :chair: Got it replaced, but what a waste of a good system.

DismorphiC

D'OH! There's a drain hole on the bottom of the laptop, but it doesn't magically make the laptop fully waterproof :)

Well, glad you got it sorted out. My only other tip to keeping it cool is leaving it on the dock (if you have one) with the lid open. If no dock, I prop it up just a wee bit on the back left with a pencil or something to give the air a bit more room to move (don't use a chapstick, the heat melts the chapstick and makes a mess- ask me how I know). The bottom of the laptop gets pretty hot if it's left flat on a surface (and so does the power brick too, if you've got the smaller 75w version).

This would have applied to the old laptop more, but sooner or later your new one will need it (and I've seen a noticeable reduction in temp) but simply blowing all the dust and crap out of the heatsink exhaust area with a can of air can help. A slow drip of the can of air held upside down will also drop it to 10*c or less... but that's for when you've got a buzz going on and don't care about possibly shorting out the whole laptop hahaha

Cheers!

Adak

Sorry to hear about your laptop. Hope you were able to keep the data OK.

OP
I.M.O.G.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
Fortunately the data was safe, so I pulled the drive and popped it in a new system. Downtime was under 3 hours as a result - just the time it took to get a new system thru the chain of approvals and in my hands. Understanding management and being underpaid by about ~20K helps smooth things over. :beer: