• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thanks Bob4burton for the IC7-G Northbridge MOD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've found 275 being the best I'm going to do at 5:4. I was running 277....added 2 MHz with the Tiger 1 mod, but my memory scores decreased using Sisandra, and 3DMark2001 was slightly lower.

That indicates (to me) my Corsair has reached it's limit at 440 DDR, cas 2, 8, 3, 3 at 2.7 V-mem.

I don't see much point in running 280 or 185 at 3:2 memory. The increased CPU bandwidth does not seem to overcome the decreased memory/CP{U bandwidth at 275, 5:4.

You are correct.
That is why I am now running my 280 fsb at 5:4 2.5-7-3-3

Sandra mem score: 5894/5890 buffered

CPU score: Drystone ALU: 10339
Whetstone FPU/iSSE2 2905/6168MFLOPS

This combination also finished 3dmark03 succesfully.

The difference (besides the NB cooler mod): I set the last two 'gaming' memory settings in the BIOS from 'AUTO' to 'DISABLED'.

It made ALL the difference...

hmmm. I did the Zalman mod a few days back, but haven't really been able to test to see if anything changed. Still motoring along at 287 5:4 2-7-3-2. I had also bought the tiger1, but it's fin's were smaller than the zalman's. I said what the heck and just did the Zalman with the stock fan. I don't know why but mine is quiet. I still might have to try the tiger1 after I have some time to see if I can clock any higher with the Zalman.

likwidkool said:
hmmm. I did the Zalman mod a few days back, but haven't really been able to test to see if anything changed. Still motoring along at 287 5:4 2-7-3-2. I had also bought the tiger1, but it's fin's were smaller than the zalman's. I said what the heck and just did the Zalman with the stock fan. I don't know why but mine is quiet. I still might have to try the tiger1 after I have some time to see if I can clock any higher with the Zalman.

dangit, u followin me from the abit forums? :p
yah my nb fan is quiet... and doin 7k rpm too... dunno maybe im not sensitive to the noise. will try the mod anyways just for giggles.

Well just installed the Tiger 1 in my mobo and guess what running at 300fsb disabled the last 2 options in the bios for the mem settings, and ran prime95 for 10 hrs no problems at 2.5-3-3-8 @2.8v, will try lower setting later. this proves the northbridge does have a cooling problem hence the fsb wall!

JDLT1

JDLT1 said:
Well just installed the Tiger 1 in my mobo and guess what running at 300fsb disabled the last 2 options in the bios for the mem settings, and ran prime95 for 10 hrs no problems at 2.5-3-3-8 @2.8v, will try lower setting later. this proves the northbridge does have a cooling problem hence the fsb wall!

JDLT1

Well alrighty , thats good news :D
Just got my T1 in the mail also . Will be installing it this weekend .
Jorge did you lap the T1 at all , or just applied AS3 and clamp that baby on ?

Either way things look more promising than the stock NB cooler (but we knew that) , thanks for the update JDLT1 :)

stereo555

Last edited:
stereo555 said:

Well alrighty , thats good news :D
Just got my T1 in the mail also . Will be installing it this weekend .
Jorge did you lap the T1 at all , or just applied AS3 and clamp that baby on ?

Either way things look more promising than the stock NB cooler (but we knew that) , thanks for the update JDLT1 :)

stereo555

actually I just used the sticker that the T1 came with! working smoth so far!

JDLT1

Here is a screen shot! running prime now for 1.5hrs and no problems so far!:)

IC7-G_FSB204.jpg

JDLT1

Yes, the l;ittle chipset cooler that could (Tiger 1) seems to have done me good, as well - currently at 283, cas 2, 7, 3, 2 with all GAT functions on auto, 1.6 V-core and 2.8 V-mem.

site1020.jpg
site1021.jpg
site1022.jpg

site1023.jpg

This board is loads of fun....'specially now that I have a little peace around here. :D

Sumradagnoth said:

dangit, u followin me from the abit forums? :p
yah my nb fan is quiet... and doin 7k rpm too... dunno maybe im not sensitive to the noise. will try the mod anyways just for giggles.

ahh but look who's following who. I got a star!:p

JDLT, I like your results. Can you go past 300fsb? We have a thread going at abit forums trying to figure why it is so hard to get past 300fsb on the IC7(g). It's been done but not by many.
http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15053

Will this mod work with the regular Abit IC7?

Also if I buy it I will buy it from best byte which says it comes with thermal epoxy. I was actually going to buy arctic alumina adhesive to do ramsinks (the 2$ ones on bestbyte) on my video card, will the epoxy that comes with the zalman be enough for ramsinks, since I will not need it to do this mod?

Are the ramsinks from bestbyte and good, I mean I know their just ramsinks, and for $2 how could one go wrong, I'm just curious.

Thanks.

likwidkool said:

ahh but look who's following who. I got a star!:p

JDLT, I like your results. Can you go past 300fsb? We have a thread going at abit forums trying to figure why it is so hard to get past 300fsb on the IC7(g). It's been done but not by many.
http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15053

Actually I'm currently running prime95 @304 it been running for like 2 hrs so looks good so far! looks like I will have to do the v-mod later!

JDLT1

To guys who disabled those two options in "Gaming" what was your max o/c before and after disableing this options ?

Besides that any other settings that I can try to enable/disable in BIOS for stable o/c

Right now @ 262 with my 2.6 and not even increased vcore can help it up( tried up to 1.7 )

Will try with those 2 settings disabled as soon I finish my download!

I'm one of those who disabled the last two gaming settings for memory in the bios.

Before I did that, I would only consider 265 fsb as stable (complete 3dmark03 or run Prime95 for a reasonable time).

After disabling the settings, I can do this at 280 fsb. I have not yet tried 283 (my previous record with a single stick of ram).

Well for me it is no go :(
Thing is I think I can run Prime and 3dMark ( never really tried ) but the first thing I try is Sandra CPU arithmetic and it freezes right away no matter what settings I use.
May I ask what BIOS do you use and are there some other settings that I should consider turning off/on ( like load optimised setings [ never tried that one ] )
Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

(water cooled CPU, NB modded with zalman, memory pass 10 memtest @ 270 so it isn't it, BIOS 1.4, with 1.5 it would boot me @ 262 )

Been said many a time, but it can be the luck of the draw with CPU's & motherboards.

It is strange that the holly grail for memory stability (Prime) gives you no problems, but the decidedly *******ized (insert benchmark here), sisandra is giving you fits....might I suggest it's sisandra failing you rather than your system configuration.

I'm using the 1.4 beta04 BIOS, which I have found to be the most stable for my system. The 1.4 beta03 is here, but I can't find a link to the beta04 for the life of me. :mad:

I have it on disk, and will gladly email to any who wants it - problems being I'm heading out of town for a week in just a few hours - post your email address or email me and I'll send it out.

I have all GAT settings on Auto and have increased V-core to 1.625 and maxed out V-mem. The board seems to undervolt (at least on V-core), so the increased voltages has compensated nicely.

My corsair ******* past 450 DDR, 2.5, 8, 3, 3, so 448 (280 FSB) is max for me - even though I run 275 (440 DDR) just to be on the mildly safe side.

BIOS gone your way.

I haven't founf HT to be the ill's for my overclocking - seems I hit either a CPU or memory wall, but I'm good and happy at 275. :D

Cooling the NB

Has anyone considered watercooling the NB? I have seen several chipset waterblocks. Forinstance, DangerDen has one for about $38. This seems like a good alternative, especially if you are already running a watercooling setup.

Where do you get the cool heat sinks for the radeon 9700/9800 :)
I'm looking for some kickass ram sinks and something for the gpu also thanks

Back