• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

That Darn Shim*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kayboykb

Okay - well, as some of you know, I killed my Radeon 9700 Pro from carelessness.. I tried to pop off the shim with an exacto knife and ended up cutting into my pcb.

I bought another 9700 Pro (don't ask why) - - and it'll be here Wed.

Shim question - . . . um, . . . can I just sand down the shim? lol I mean as long as I sand it good enough so my waterblock can get good contact it'll be ok right? I just don't wanna ruin another $170 card. . .

hUMANbEATbOX

Contributing Member
i think you'd be more likely to kill it trying to sand then simply popping off the shim.

mine came off easy. just don't use an exacto knife again. try slipping a fingernail under a corner then getting a credit card in. slowly pry it off.

NinjaWreck

Make sure you stick it in an anti-static bag, and put it in the freezer for about 30 mins... That will make the epoxy brittle and the shim will come off more easily. I also used a credit card to pop mine off. Allow it to dry thouroughly if any condensation forms on it.

OP
K

kayboykb

got it - thanks for all the info guys. I'm gonna try everything that you guys mentioned.. and hopefully I'll be a bit more successful this time around.*

stockhatch

I heated mine up with a hairdryer and the shim glue got really gooey and it popped right off. This is how I had to get the original HS off too.(hair dryer).

AC

drewthomas14

Mr.Radar said:
I've heard that dental floss works great on 9700 shims.
yep works like a charm. i did a little write up on it a while back. i had to take the shim off two of my cards, but the one i have now it just slightly lower then the core :clap:

Bashar

Maxwell Murder said:
I just popped the shim off of my 9800 with an exacto knife and a hairdryer to cool it down, worked fine

How did the hairdryer cool it down?

Maxwell Murder

Sorry I was posting under the influence of some mighty cheap beer, heated it up I meant to say! Just aim the hair dryer at the shim for about 2minutes, then go to town. It makes it so much easier

Dragonprince

I would take the time to check and see if the shim even needs to come off. I havent seen a core below the shim in a while, I think ATi might have changed the clearence a while back...

man_utd

I had to take off the shim, as my vga silencer just flat out could not make good contact with the core. I tightened it till it could literally not be tightened more and it was overheating at stock. Took it off, and no problems arrived.

CandymanCan

Disabled
You dont need to take the shim off the newer rev 1.3 or higher 9700pro's, who ever keep sayign to take the shim off these cards must be crazy or something, the older 9700pro's the shims were thicker, the newer ones rev 1.2 and higher (which are the ones with the red heatsink i nthe back) have a smaller shim so thieri s no need to take it off.

Read what is aid carefullt this was mentioned wy back then of last year, it amazes me how people still assume the shim actually affects performance now

drewthomas14

umm... it doesnt matter which revision. i had a newer revision with a higher shim. it depends on the individual card , since it's hard to keep all shims the same height on video cards. i took a flat edge and put it across mine and saw the core was higher. if you really want to be sure. use a flashlight with the flatedge.

CandymanCan

Disabled
drewthomas14 said:
umm... it doesnt matter which revision. i had a newer revision with a higher shim. it depends on the individual card , since it's hard to keep all shims the same height on video cards. i took a flat edge and put it across mine and saw the core was higher. if you really want to be sure. use a flashlight with the flatedge.

Umm yea it does this was proven way last year, mayb it only accounts for BBA cards Built by ATI

Maxwell Murder said:
Yeah my shim was slightly higher on my Radeon 9800, but now its gone and my VGA Silencer arrives today along with my P95f+b :)

Talking about 9700pro not 9800's