• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

thats it, Im mad

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dcfan60

Hey guys this sucks, I bought a fortron 300W powersupply bacause of it good review and stuff. and when I start increasing the Voltage of the CPU my 5V link starts going down SO I bought a 350W fortron and... the same thing hapen. BOTH go alway down to 4.7V when runnig @ 1.85-1.88 anyting higher and 4.65V but my 12V is alway 12.01-12.03 and the 3.3 is 3.31-3.34, I know it not the mobo cuz I tryed it in 2 diferent mobos also I tryed the 5V mod and it only when up by .03. DAMN IT please tell me of a PSU that can give 5 or 4.8 volts or close to it when the CPU runs at 2.0V and please dont tell me I need a freaking PSU that is like $115 cuz thats just WAY they hell too much for a freaking PSU. I run 2 CD roms 2 HDs and 1 Vidcard so 300w and 350w are just fine. I read some where about a fortron that has variable pots for the the 12V, 3.3V and 5V, I checked my PSUs and they ony have 1 for the 3.3V. I have a 2600M barton runnig @ 2.6ghz with 1.85v and I know the stupid PSU is holding me back cuz if run it @ 1.9V my 5V like drops to 4.65 and it acts all weird and just does not work, but with 1.85 it does. I have a SLK 947U with a 120 CFM fan I get 48C full load so its not the cooling.

Last edited:

daniel_dynasty

that voltage is a little high for air cooling dont you think? if you wanna get rid of the fortron 350 if you cant find a fix i will glady buy it from you

ZachM

The Sparkle (Fortron) FSP 530 is $70 at Newegg. That will deliver plenty of power. Don't be sure that your current one isn't cutting it though. What were you using to measure the voltages? I'm guessing you were using the motherboard sensors. Those are known to be horribly inaccurate. Get a digital multimeter and measure the lines straight from the PSU connectors.

Gautam

Senior Benchmark Addict
What motherboards did you try it in?

I had an AXP up to 2.7GHz with 2.1v with the 300W Fortron.

And what exactly do you mean "acts all weird"?

OP
D

dcfan60

I used my mulitmter and it only gives me 4.72 intead of 4.7
Im tryed it on a L7A72 Mobo, a A7nx8-x and a7nx8 Delux.
please tell me what to do. :(

Gautam

Senior Benchmark Addict
Hrmm, the A7N8X's derive their core voltage off of the +5v rail. That would explain the low 5v readings. But, unfortunately, I think you will need a heftier unit if you plan to continue using those boards. The 350W FSP is rated for 32A on the +5v, or 160W. With your processor at 2v, you'd be pushing 150 with the processor alone, not to mention all of your other components. You could try to adjust the +5v pot, but I'd say you'd be pushing it anyways. Most of the newer boards do not derive core voltage off of the +5v, but rather the +12v, so most power supplies are geared towards that instead. You require a hefty +5v over anything.

The 530W Fortron is rated for 40A on the +5v, it should be able to handle it, though its pricier. But I would consider replacing the motherboard, as well.

Electron Chaser

Senior Delta Fanatic
PC Power and Cooling the 510 ATX-Deluxe

with a 1% Voltage regulation tolerance and 10mV ripple and adjustable pots.

When you gotta hold the rail stable accept no substitue.

Sure it costs a lot more but clean power is never something you wanna skimp on.

Electron Chaser

Senior Delta Fanatic
Gautam said:
Hehe, he said even $110 is too much for him.

Yeah I seen that also.

This is one thing I guess I will never understand. Why people always put the single most important thing in their PC last on their list. I mean the PSU is the heart of any PC. You can have a Greek God body for a PC and the Brains of Einstein for a CPU but if you have the heart of geriatric powering it you won't get very far. And sometimes when they go POP they take the rest of the body with it.

Do yourself a favor and buy the best PSU you can afford. It is as close to life insurance you can get for a PC especially when overclocking.

Gautam

Senior Benchmark Addict
First there's buying a cheapo power supply and expecting it to power anything, and then there's the other extremely of splurging yourself broke on excessiveness.

To quote myself:

Find me a system that will max out the Fortron, and I will. Tedinde had a 3.2C up to 4.2ghz in a fully loaded system. The Fortron chugged right along. Here's the thread. If a $70 psu can handle a system like that along with perfect rails, is there any point of going higher? Yes, the power supply is one of the most, if not the most crucial part of an overclocked system, but while it's certainly a bad idea to gimp on it, splurging is a little illogical. I've noticed the trend make a near-180 degree turn. It wasn't too long ago that people were trying to power very high end systems with very cheap power supplies; now it seems like people buy the priciest power supplies out there for systems that don't require even half the power that they can deliver. Neither option makes too much sense.

I ran my AXP 1700+ oc'ed to 2.6ghz using 2.1v with a 300w Fortron. That's one of the gutsiest overclocks out there, yet people running far less overclocked systems very often have much more powerful power supplies. Sure, the PCP&C will power any system out there, but economics should be considered as well. If it's the $40 difference between some generic psu and a 530 Fortron, then it's well worth it. But if it's $150 difference between a PCP&C 510 and a 530 Fortron, then that money's going nowhere for 99.9999999% who'd spend it. The PCP&C costs serious money; that's why I'd be careful in touting it as a blanket solution to anyone's power problems.

There's one thing I guess I will never understand. Why some people insist on spending hundreds more than is necessary.

If you've got the money to burn, by all means, go ahead and burn it. But don't think that everyone else needs to burn it too.

Electron Chaser

Senior Delta Fanatic
Gautam said:
First there's buying a cheapo power supply and expecting it to power anything, and then there's the other extremely of splurging yourself broke on excessiveness.

To quote myself:

There's one thing I guess I will never understand. Why some people insist on spending hundreds more than is necessary.

If you've got the money to burn, by all means, go ahead and burn it. But don't think that everyone else needs to burn it too.

Sure I said the part about the PCP&C PSU but I was joking by half on it.

LOL I just said he should buy the best Power supply he could afford.

And to put it simply most people spend at least 1K or more on their systems. If they spent just 10% of that on a decent Power Supply many of these posts would disappear.

And while I agree there are a few out there that spend a whole lot more then they should on a PSU they don't need. The majority of the time the inverse is true.

Gautam

Senior Benchmark Addict
Electron Chaser said:
And to put it simply most people spend at least 1K or more on their systems. If they spent just 10% of that on a decent Power Supply many of these posts would disappear.

And while I agree there are a few out there that spend a whole lot more then they should on a PSU they don't need. The majority of the time the inverse is true.
Too true.

Sure didn't look like you were joking.

larrymoencurly

I think what's really holding you back is your desire to overclock. Often,

(Time saved by overclocking) < (time spent getting the overclock to work)

If my mobo ran its CPU from the +5V rail, I'd be afraid of anything faster than about XP2600+ or about 2.4 GHz because the 20-pin ATX connector just isn't that good at delivering tons of power through the +5V and +3.3V rails and can even melt. To run anything faster, I might even want to run direct connections to the MOSFETs to get around the connector's limitations.

OP
D

dcfan60

ok... Im getting a nf7-s v 1.2 would that get its voltage from a 12V or the 5V ?

Mr.Radar

12v

In my system when I had it OC'ed to 2.4 GHz @ 1.85v w/ my Radeon 9800 Pro @ 420/378 the 12v would go down to about 11.65 at the lowest and it averaged about 11.80 at idle, with the 5 at 5.11 and the 3.3 at 3.36 wether idle or load. Now that I'm underclocked/undervolted I'm at 11.80 all the time on the +12.

brennan77

Sounds like you've got the same limitation I do. I have an Epox that runs the CPU from the 5v line. Anything about 1.85v and the system crashes from a weak 5v line. The cost to performance ratio of a new power supply to handle the extra load isn't worth it. It would be wiser for me to buy a new motherboard or a new CPU that runs at a faster speed at lower voltages.

What holds true for horsepower in engines holds true for computers as well. That last few horsepower are the hardest and most expensive to accomplish. I'm not willing to go the extra mile for minimal gain. Some people are, and that's fine and good.

pelikan

dcfan60 said:
Hey guys this sucks, I bought a fortron 300W powersupply bacause of it good review and stuff. and when I start increasing the Voltage of the CPU my 5V link starts going down SO I bought a 350W fortron and... the same thing hapen. BOTH go alway down to 4.7V when runnig @ 1.85-1.88 anyting higher and 4.65V but my 12V is alway 12.01-12.03 and the 3.3 is 3.31-3.34, I know it not the mobo cuz I tryed it in 2 diferent mobos also I tryed the 5V mod and it only when up by .03. DAMN IT please tell me of a PSU that can give 5 or 4.8 volts or close to it when the CPU runs at 2.0V and please dont tell me I need a freaking PSU that is like $115 cuz thats just WAY they hell too much for a freaking PSU. I run 2 CD roms 2 HDs and 1 Vidcard so 300w and 350w are just fine. I read some where about a fortron that has variable pots for the the 12V, 3.3V and 5V, I checked my PSUs and they ony have 1 for the 3.3V. I have a 2600M barton runnig @ 2.6ghz with 1.85v and I know the stupid PSU is holding me back cuz if run it @ 1.9V my 5V like drops to 4.65 and it acts all weird and just does not work, but with 1.85 it does. I have a SLK 947U with a 120 CFM fan I get 48C full load so its not the cooling.

I hope you are not going through all that for the sake of software voltage readings as they are not accurate. A DMM would tell you how your rails are.

My 350W Fortron can handle a barton at 2800 MHz with 2.1 vcore.

OP
D

dcfan60

Pelikan, no I used my Multimeter and it said about the same.

Well tnx guys, I been overclocking for 5 years now, I thought I knew everything there was to know. heck I even made a Home made water cooling system, Voltmoded about 15 different Videocards and 20 Mobos, Case moded about 30 Cases. built about 600 Computers (worked for a school as an IT since I was 16 and I build and sell comps to people from word of mouth). I been building comps for 7 years now and I feel like a noob for not knowing that some mobos used the 12V line and other the 5V line. its good to have the forums.

Tnx for all the reaplys.