• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

the best AGP video card.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zexmarquies01

Ok, my dad has a Nvidia 6800 video card.

He's wanting a better video card because some games lag a little when while he is using his dual monitors, one for the game, the other for forums and such.

but he doesn't have the money, and doesn't want to fully upgrade to PCIE yet, and get a new motherboard and all, because he's happy with his current setup.

So here's the question.

what is the best AGP Video card out right now? i know the x800 from ATI is really good, but is that their best? and whats the best nvidia out right now?

Just looking to see whats out there, and then give him prices on everything.

Fathom1990

The AGP Radeon X850 XT PE is definitely pretty good. Club 3D, PowerColor and ATI Technologies all do a version.

chevro1et

The best nvidia offering is the 6800ultra, but is priced so ridiculously, I understand why they sit on the shelf :santa:

I am awaiting the 6800gs agp, should be out by the month's end, runs pretty even with the 6800gt for a decent price (~210 usd I think).

And yea, the x850 is the best agp from ati fer sure, but only supports SM2.0, and does not have the HDR like the 6800gs will.

Cheers.

darksparkz

Yep, X850XT PE and 6800GT Ultra are the best and top of the line.

In terms of price/performance, the 6800GT would be better, since it can be clocked and flashed to Ultra speeds fairly easy and at a much cheaper price. I think the 6800GT is better then the 6800GS AGP, but then since 6800GTs are dimishing and becoming slightly hard to find, 6800GS may be better.

Kevin007

darksparkz said:
Yep, X850XT PE and 6800GT Ultra are the best and top of the line.

In terms of price/performance, the 6800GT would be better, since it can be clocked and flashed to Ultra speeds fairly easy and at a much cheaper price. I think the 6800GT is better then the 6800GS AGP, but then since 6800GTs are dimishing and becoming slightly hard to find, 6800GS may be better.

definetely think about one of those.

>HyperlogiK<

x850xt pe is overall more powerful, but if he's a linux user or big on doom3/quake 4 then the 6800 Ultra might be a better buy. although people have been getting the 6800GS extreme editions to equal 6800 Ultra performance (they oc like crazy).

Janus67

Benching Team Leader
why don't you just use radlinker and unlock the 4 extra pipelines on the 6800?

ticktock123

wh wouldn't you just take a bit of lag right now...save the money and when you have enough the PCI-e stuff will be down a bit in price. The amount of difference between the GT and the Ultra is not big enough to say go buy an brand new one...take that money put it in a jar and get PCI-E in a few months