• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The best computer in the South

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Twyst

I was just talking to one of my co-workers and she informed me that one of her friends just purchased "the best computer in the south". Apparently her friend went to Gateway and bought the best computer they had .. all she could tell me for sure was that it had an LCD screen and that he wouldn't have to upgrade for 10 years.

It was all I could do to avoid laughing in her face. Just thought I'd spread the humor of gateway beating out all of our overclocking efforts.

Twyst

moorcito

LOL

It's sad to hear another story of how someone thinks that a name brand computer is the best. I guess that's just more crap sales people spreading lies..."Sure you're brand new, top of the line, faster than fast computer won't be outdated in three months, in fact I guarentee that it will be good for 10 years."

Hello McFly, how good is the computer that you bought 10 years ago today?

cursor

It's a great way to talk people into overbuying though. Particularly if they won't use 1/10th of the bargain pc's power anyway. Ai-ka-romba! (smack forehead)

Fastest computer in the south indeed (harumph)

AZN

AznSniper
i assure u that is not the top of the line... im pretty sure she did not get a 2.8ghz p4... i bet money it was a 2.4 or 2.53 p4 with a 64meg ati card...:rolleyes: and they say that is top of the line... in that case i guess mine wont need updating for 20 years.

AZN

Dark Disciple

Wow, I suddenly feel soooo cheap, dirty, and (gasp!) yesterday. I wonder if I can get 1 too ( just think of it, Do0M VI humming away on my best of the best gateway "BEAST" in 2112). I must have this bad mofo at all costs !!!

Disputant

The sooner people stop buying computers from that company, the sooner they will go away. Too bad that damn cow gimmick sucks so many potential buyers.

The reason I will never buy a pc from a pc maker is that they cut too many corners with cheap motherboards and other peripherals that I would normally go all out.

garasaki

I have been attempting to start a business building computers for people, basically for all the reasons you guys mentioned (ie buying from dell/gateway is such a freakin huge mistake) but the average joe simply dosent get it...

They think dropping 3 grand on a dell gets them the best out there...I guess that's the power of advertising!!

I'll take my 800 dollar comp any old day...considering it gets 11741 on 3dmark, which probably beats that gateway...:beer:

People just dont get it....

Daemonfly

I worked for a guy who startred his own company building PCs. It was him, the PC tech, and a part time teacher for their classes. I came in as a 2nd tech & do-everything guy, but now work at a Hospital mainframe room. He does very well actually, has some large accounts with some of the local buisnesses & colleges.

If you do quality buisiness, do quality work, use quality components and then have quality support, then you will do well. Word of mouth is great advertising. User would call in with a problem and if it was under warranty, they could either bring it right in, or we'd go right out to their house and fix it. I built most of their computers when I was there and they were all put together well, everything mounted properly, cables out of the way & organized.

The main service tech was the kinda guy that would explain everything to people who walked in. They would leave knowing a LOT more about what they want & need in a computer, not plain "hype" like at Best Buy, CompUSA, etc... Most people walked out of our store as happy customers with a new computer, and most were return customers as well. He would show them how these kind of computers were completely upgradeable, unlike the name brands. A lot of our buisness was servicing these name brands as well, :p

We would have various setups, lower end & cheaper general user PCs, mid range, and ended up showing a gaming PC (me and the main tech started a local gaming club;)). Loaded them with all the software the user would get, and they could come in and mess with them while we explained everything about them. It also sounds a lot more honest when you actually KNOW what you're talking about, and can get into detail.

Our PC classes and computer camps for kids were popular too. The kids got to play with the robotic legos and could program them to do stuff. Even got into hosting classes at a local college.

Our prices were pretty comparable(esp for the components we used), but our support beat them all. Not bad for 4 people(2 full timers & 2 part timers).

It's quite possible to start your own company and make it a success, which is usually HONEST friendlyness and great support.

Disputant

Can O' Beans said:
The main service tech was the kinda guy that would explain everything to people who walked in. They would leave knowing a LOT more about what they want & need in a computer, not plain "hype" like at Best Buy, CompUSA, etc... Most people walked out of our store as happy customers with a new computer, and most were return customers as well. He would show them how these kind of computers were completely upgradeable, unlike the name brands. A lot of our buisness was servicing these name brands as well, :p

success, which is usually HONEST friendlyness and great support.

You hit the nail on the head, I was a Systems Analysts for a large east coast corp. If I could teach the user more about their system, then that = less support calls and happier users. I made every support call a training call so that no matter what level user I had on the line they were smarter about computers when we hung up.

OP
Twyst

Twyst

That's also the nice thing about educating people during a service call is that if you do it nicely (i.e. don' t be a jerk and make them feel stupid) they'll end up respecting your knowledge of the subject more and more each time around.

garwain

Yep, treat your customers with respect, and leave them with a feeling that you really did something good for them, and they will be loyal to you (most of the time...) I have a small company that I started in my spare time, and have more customers than I can easily handle along with my regular job, and the only money I have spent towards advertising was the cost of the ink and paper used to print my buisness cards. I started off with only 2 or 3 customers but they have spread the word and I get on average 2 or 3 calls a week from people I don't know. One thing for sure, I undercharge, but this way, I often get a tip out of it as well. I started off offering free telephone tech support, and have not regretted it once. If I can help a person out, for free, they will likely come back to me when they have a bigger problem, and don't mind paying for me to make a house call. If you stay small, and treat your customers well, you don't need to use fancy gimmics to market yourself. I may work part time as a farmer, but my company doesn't involve smelly beasts with it's coporate image ;)

gtsimmo

THe guy is a fool for taking the salemen's word. Sucker. Even the newest computer will only be usable for about 2 to 3 yrs at the absolute max. 3 years that is if your not a power user like us. It will be fairly outdated and considered normal in 6 months.