• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Best Shiney paint

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Diamond4D

Registered
Ok, Im already in debt and need to spend more money case modding. So I dont want the f this up. What paint would I buy if I wanted a nice glossy shiney that would finish nice and not leave finger prints. I tried some crap paint on my xbox controller and it smudged easy. And also is there a nice protective coating I can put on after?

Paradoxmaker

The key to keeping your paint shiney after it dries takes a few things. The smoother the surface is the smoother the paint will be, wet sanding between paint layers will result in a smoother and more shiney end product.
The most important thing to me though is to make sure you allow enough dry time. It doesen't matter if you buy expensive paint if you start using it right away it will get prints and smears. Your fingers and hands are terrible on curing paint. I would suggest 1 of 2 things if you want a very hard durible shiney final coat. Either allow a few days for the paint to fully cure before use(expecially if its a mouse or controller), or if you can't wait that long use your oven to cure the paint quicker(just like baking on auto car finishes) the key to this is to set your oven on the lowest temp and then test it on a similar item to make sure that the temp won't melt or deform the plastic.

Make sure that if you bake it you have good ventilation also. It will produce some fumes and i would suggest doing it with the oven door partialy open.

Mark620

Paradoxmaker said:
Make sure that if you bake it you have good ventilation also. It will produce some fumes and i would suggest doing it with the oven door partialy open.

You forgot the most important thing: make sure your wife or parents are not around when you do this.

"JUST WHAT THE &%[email protected] DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING?"

Paradoxmaker

Mark620 said:
You forgot the most important thing: make sure your wife or parents are not around when you do this.

"JUST WHAT THE &%[email protected] DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING?"

You want to see a ****ed off mother? When I was 14(1985) my Dad decided to undercoat our car with roofing tar. We used an ax to break off pieces of tar from the big roofing tar plug (12"dia x 2' tall) then we melted it in coffee cans on the natrual gas kicthen stove. What a smell. It took weeks for it to go away.

Always use enough ventilation for any project that wil produce fumes (and deffinatly don't do it when Mom will be home)

fiji

whenver i paint, i paint out in the garage near the edge so im like half in and half outside and then i dont even smell the paint practically

and if it rains im covered

Paradoxmaker

fiji said:
whenver i paint, i paint out in the garage near the edge so im like half in and half outside and then i dont even smell the paint practically
and if it rains im covered

If you have to paint outdoors try to make sure that the humidity is less than 80% or so. High humidity tends to cause paints to dry cloudy.

I know we never mentioned it but I have had good results with Krylon Spray paint. Smooth coats applied in several thin layers, and depending on the color of the paint a clear coat over it.

Hatecc

Paradoxmaker said:

If you have to paint outdoors try to make sure that the humidity is less than 80% or so. High humidity tends to cause paints to dry cloudy.

I know we never mentioned it but I have had good results with Krylon Spray paint. Smooth coats applied in several thin layers, and depending on the color of the paint a clear coat over it.

WTF am i supposed to do then lol?

I live in New Orleans, days of less than 90% humidity can be counted on one hand. :)

Paradoxmaker

Hatecc said:

WTF am i supposed to do then lol?

I live in New Orleans, days of less than 90% humidity can be counted on one hand. :)

Well I did say to try.... :D

The problem comes in when the paint starts to dry the evaporation of the thinner in the paint causes the paint and the object you are painting to cool off, if the paint layers are to thick or the temp to low the cooling effect of the thinner evaporation causes humidity to condense out onto the piant and it makes it cloudy.