• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

the best way to stend $100?????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AMD900

tell guy what would be good? everything in my sig is the same other than the 8500 that is a 9500.

OP
A

AMD900

no thanx i have i 2 year old boy and he can find a way of fing it up.

trdsw20

NEW AMD MOBo would probably be anything that runs with the NForce 2 chipset. Asus A7N8x or Abit Nf7s. The NF7s is the cheaper of the 2 and would almost meet your budget.

gtsimmo

corsair XMS PC3200 512mb DDR memory from newegg

$92

Running low on hard drive space with your 30gb, you could easly pick up a 80gb Western Digital 8mb cache version for $83

Dont like how long it takes to burn on your 24x burner, get a Lite On 52 x burner for less than $50.

cursor

I'd bump up the hard drive, but that depends on you. If you use a lot of media files, etc, that's definately the way to go. IMHO, upgrading the motherboard w/o upgrading the processor is a waste unless you're upgrading your proc soon. If you don't need a new hard drive, I'd do the unthinkable--SAVE it. :)

When you have $200 you can get a new proc, mb, & memory upgrade.

NewbiePerson

Get a refurbished nforce 2 from newegg for about $60 or so and spend another $50 on a t-bred b version of the 1700. It's a little over your budget but it works.

gruvin2

I agree with cursor. Save a little more and get a Barton/MB/512DDR. If you buy one thing for improvement go with more DDR. That is your waekest link imo. You will see the greatest performance increase from more ram. Your 256mb is limiting you if you do any highend gaming or media stuff.

Lithan

Disabled
Nothing NEEDS upgrading. If you aren't unlocked, then buy a 1700+ tbred B for 40-60$ If you are, buy a 512stick of pc3200 and start saving for a nf7-s and that 1700. Your hard disk should be fine unless you keep ripped movies on it or something, video isn't top of the line but it's plenty for most games. Oh and definately buy a new cpu cooler.

OP
A

AMD900

well i did get a 256 2100 stick but is generic, and for the video i got a 9500np i also have well now $130 and if i get dude around my area to pay me the $60 he owns me that would make $190. so on that kind of money what do yall think? also what is the difference in a 1700 t-bred and a 2500 borton?

trdsw20

gruvin2 said:
Well the obvious difference in the 1700 and 2500 barton is 266fsb vs 333fsb on the Barton. more fsb is ALWAYS better!
Just because it runs at a higher frequency doesnt mean its always gonna be better. There are plenty of people here that would much rather opt for the 1700. Just for the overclocking ability. People have there 1700s doin 2.2 Ghz and thats with a 50-60 dollar chip. Its not as if the Barton is bad chip. But talk about squeazing your chip for performance.

As for an investment...

Get the NF7s its a cheap board and you could use that with your old chip and memory. wait a few weeks for your buddy to pay you back and thw barton prices to fall again and get the Barton chip. But if you do you should also go for at least Pc2700 memory since both CPU and mem would run at 333. should be quite interesting. I think the most exciting parts about shopping for parts is before you actually buy them, the actually planning of how to spread your money.