• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The big block

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
rivercom9 said:
What the hell is that!!!!??????:eek:

A big WB for sure. Not for CPUs. I don't see a real need
to this thing. Marketing strikes again.

You would need two of them to make a chiller with TECs.

the overclocker said:
cool block, it's a shame water chillers suck - really suck. have a look here for more details http://www.procooling.com/articles/html/kev_explores_pelt_water_chille.shtml

This Big Block seems to allow water to run across a larger surface area than the blocks in the article you references. Maybe this one would work a little better. There are also beer chillers used in bars that cool the beer down with a chiller block and use a really large surface area. I know these work as I used to work in a bar. Could this application work for CPU's? I believe Gone Fishing had started a thread on this subject. Beer Chiller

That article is very interesting though. I would have intuitively thought differently if someone hadn't tested as was done in the article.

Seems to me this is a perfect harddrive cooler. Sandwhich it inbetween your 2 RAID drives and you now can eliminate any heat issues there. Shrug, maybe not, but I dont see why not. Although my MAxtor drives have bare PCB board on the bottom and it might cause a short if that block is conductive...hmmm

Josh

Well one side of the block has to be hot while the other side is the cold side. One drive will be cooled, and another will be roasted! Even for just one drive, the temp might get too cold and exceed the drives specified operating temps risking HD failure.

rivercom9 said:
Well one side of the block has to be hot while the other side is the cold side. One drive will be cooled, and another will be roasted! Even for just one drive, the temp might get too cold and exceed the drives specified operating temps risking HD failure.

You must be assuming I mean to use peltiers, cause I wouldnt. Not to cool a hard drive. The channels for this thing basically run throught it with no difference between top and bottom. If you mounted one HD upside down and just sandwhiched them around this block it would cool them both. I cant see any reason why anyone would use a peltier n a hard drive.

Josh

That is one monster water chiller. It would probably work well, esp. if you used antifreeze (gasp) to lower the freezing point of water really low. You could get some nice temps for it, although powering the sucker with big pelts will be a big problem.

Back